Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting Sporting Clays recreationally & occasionally competitively for over 25 years. It wasn't until the last few years I discovered the value of natural gun fit and enjoyed the better scores that went with it. For some reason my scores have dropped some in the last 3-4 months and I'm not quite ready to blame age (72). I must be overlooking something. I thought some differing ideas might help. Has anyone gleaned any "pearls" out of either of their books that would benefit a long time SC shooter? If so, which one would be the best pick to read first? I don't plan on hanging up the shell bag anytime soon. Thank you & as always - Safe Shooting

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you've shot fine until recently, although I appreciate the OSP books, and reread them from time to time, they may not be what you say you need at the moment. "If it Ain't Broke, Fix it" is the only one that might be useful for this, but it's not what OSP is exactly doing today. I took a lesson from a fine instructor one time under almost the same circumstances as you describe, and the instructor basically said "Don't know why you're puzzled. I see shooters all the time that shoot pretty well, and their basics go to heck and this is the result" That makes this a suggestion to take a short lesson from someone in your area that's fundamentals based, see if there's a little something they notice, and then makes choices after that. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Tell you what it’s remarkable what an experienced eye can see. I did a lesson recently and was genuinely surprised at what was happening with me. Would’ve never guessed. Not sure I could’ve found that in a book that can’t see me.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Shooting with some master or AA shooters will be far better and cheaper than buying the Ashes books. Sorry I don't scribe to Gil Ash and his full of himself attitude. Want a good coach, see some the the top shooters that offer coaching with students in the winner circle.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
My go-to book of theirs is "You Gotta To Be Out of Your Mind!" as it was very helpful in understand the mental aspect of the game. And at 71, I've got one more year than you do for shooting, so I'm taking good care of the book and my Zoli!

Demi

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
I have a question somewhat related to this topic.
OSP is going to be at my local club next month. Are they worth the price for a 2 day clinic?

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I have a question somewhat related to this topic.
OSP is going to be at my local club next month. Are they worth the price for a 2 day clinic?
While clinics are not quite the same as one-on-one lessons, they can be a very good way to get introduced and help decide if they can help you longer-term. Plus it's a great time of the year to do a clinic and get some stuff to work on before next season kicks off -- I say go for it!

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
My go-to book of theirs is "You Gotta To Be Out of Your Mind!" as it was very helpful in understand the mental aspect of the game. And at 71, I've got one more year than you do for shooting, so I'm taking good care of the book and my Zoli!

Demi
Yes, also a very good choice -- both are easily worth the cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts