Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like some advice as to which company makes a lighter O/U for a shorter person for both trap and skeet. I really want an O/U as I already have an semi auto. Which is used more 12 or 20 ***** for trap and skeet. Any help would be apprreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Why do you want a light OU?

There are several light grade OU's in 12 and 20 but there is a major issue with them - recoil :cry:

Newton's laws are never more apparent than when shooting a light gun.

You are unlikely to get a 12 or a 20 OU that weighs significantly less than you semi-auto. Have you considered going to a 28 *****? The main problem with a 28 is that the ammo is MUCH more expensive than even 20 which is more expensive than 12.

How long have you been shooting? What exercises are you doing with your gun now? Do you have a medical reason for going lighter - my wife went down from a 12 to 20 because of a car accident, she could not manage the 12 any more. It smacks the clays as hard as her 12.

If possible find someone with a lighter gun - almost any Field Grade gun will be lighter than the Clays version, shoot it to see if the recoil is tolerable. See if you can find a 28 ga owner - (or come to Tampa and try mine 8) )

Roger

G

·
As was suggested, a lighter gun will seem to recoil more than a heavier gun using the same load.

"hich gun?" would include a gun with a ladies/youth stock. The stock on an average gun is designed for a man who is 5" 10" tall and weighs 160 pounds. The stock on such a gun will never be able to be changed to fit to a shooter appreciably under the the size of the average man for whom the gun was designed.

Before you get too far into shooting, be aware that more than 80% of right-handed women shooters have left-dominant eyes. That means that most women cannot shoot with both eyes open and shoot accurately. With the right eye aligned with the rib, the dominant left eye often incorrectly gets involved with forming the sight picture; this causes the shot to miss/go to the left.

A ladies stock is made with different stock dimensions than are men's stocks. Ladies' stocks are shorter, the grip is smaller, the comb (top surface of the stock) is farther below the rib or barrel and the angle of the end of the stock (pitch) is different to prevent the botton of the recoil pad (toe) from digging a hole in your upper chest.

The stock of an off-the-shelf gun may not fit you but it will come a lot closer than any gun designed for a men.

Good luck,
Rollin
http://stockfitting.virtualve.net

G

·
Good point with the dominant left eye thing. I am right handed but have a lazy right eye and very strong left eye. I can see great with my right eye using a peep sight for bow hunting but not as well over a gun barrell. What would you suggest, learning to shoot left-handed? Shooting right-handed using my dominant left eye? Or using my not so great right eye? I haven't shot in a couple of years, but I think I used both eyes. Surprisingly, I was a pretty good shot despite the eye thing which I've had my entire life and despite using a way-too-big shotgun.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I really want to get serious doing field training/competition with my dog.

lblaze

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
lblaze,

a lazy eye or strong one does not necessarily mean you are cross dominant.

Here is a test. Hold a hand (either hand) out at arms length with your forefinger vertical.

With both eyes open, line the fore finger up with something vertical that is fixed - edge of a window for example. This is your test line.

Close each eye in turn.

If the finger jumps to the side of the vertical test line when you close an eye, that eye you closed is dominant.

If it does not move when you close an eye, that eye is not dominant.

Depending how long you have been shooting, I would suggest shooting off the dominant shoulder. If you have YEARS of shooting and do little off that side the change may be harder to make.

There are at least 3 methods for dealing with eye-dominance, but they do not work for all.

Try the test and determine your dominance, btw what are you going to be shooting - Trap Skeet or Sporting clays or all?

Roger

G

·
Thanks Roger. Definately right eye dominant...good test. I just bought a Tristar 333 Ladies o/u 12 ga. for shooting over my dog (a flusher) - upland bird and will be getting back into trap shooting. Haven't done either in a while. Don't have the Tristar yet...should be in next week. In the past, I've shot trap, hunted birdies with my setters and hunted deer with my Mossberg 500. The boyfriend has become disabled so I haven't done anything in about 3 1/2 years but recently starting working with my dog - a spaniel this time. Some of my friends are also talking about getting a trap team going at the local sporting club as we did in years back.

lblaze

1 - 7 of 7 Posts