Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
It's your gun, so you choose it the way you think best. If it was me, I would choose the gun first, then worry about the stock. After all, even a neutral stock is probably not going to fit you right. Most people (not all) need a little cast in their stocks, so it will never fit right unless it is bent to give you some cast on. I would pick the gun I liked best, and then get it bent to fit me.

OK, I guess I would at least talk to a good stock bender first, and make sure he thinks a gun could be bent enough to give me the cast on I needed. Then if he advised me to, I would buy the gun with the understanding that it would go straight to the bender, and could be returned if he said it could not be bent properly due to the grain in the wood, or whatever.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Shootist said:
I'm a left handed shooter so I'm looking for an o/u with neutral cast.
I considered O/U for a while. Being off handed too. I was dissapointed in my search for neutral cast guns as most had cast off for righty's. Cost ot recast is $125! That's a bunch of extra cash to spend when if neutral cast to begin with they fit me fine. I looked at only brands that I could physically touch for the reasons of cast and I wanted a rib hieght like Remingtons have. I am not sure what that is called...maybe mid-high? there is 1/16th to 1/8" of rib above receiver when sighting down the gun. As I searched for the O/U with neutral cast and rib hieght another must have came to my attention.......ejectors. What I was able to handle were Browning, Beretta, Fausti, Lanber, Verona, SKB, Weatherby, Baikal, Rizzini, Stoeger, and Franchi.

Right away many were eliminated by first requirement of neutral cast, what was left was: Browning, SKB, Weatherby (is a SKB).

As a mental note I kept track of what brands did have ejectors that is the only requirement of mine that could not be reversed with gunsmithing. Those Brands were: Browning, Beretta, SKB, Weatherby, Verona, Baikal ( only model that can be converted from ejector to extractor and back again with the turning of a screw!), can't remember if Franchi had ejectors but did not like this model at all: Wood stain so dark wood grain was hidden indicating they aren't to proud of there wood for a $1000+ O/U, rib height level with receiver ( hate that). Price, wood, low rib eliminated this model.

Brands with exceptible rib height:Browning, SKB, Weatherby, Baikal.

For my three must have's in a O/U three guns qualify: Browning, SKB, Weatherby.

As this search took place other factors such as weight, wood, fit and finish were added to the search for the perfect O/U Because the price was so damned expensive I began wanting the most for the buck I could find. Once again for field models Browning, SKB, and Weatherby had very respectable wood, fit and finish, weight was comparable in 12 and 20 ga.

Well, in the end practicality finally got ahold of me and decided this U/o I was searching for would be primarily for Quail so 20ga is plenty of gun and considerably shaves weight when compared to 12ga. That eliminated the Weatherby that was a 12ga offering only. SKB to expensive $1600 and up. Browning is the last one standing with all my criteria covered! I thought wow this has taken a lot of searching, time spent, handling brands. Then I read more about Browning on SGW and talk about warrenty is less than steller. Guns are built to last a lifetime and pass down to future generations. But should the need arise for factory servce......very poor! I recall the last time out quail hunting I got a tripple. Did that Pheasant hunting too. Man I will never do that with a O/U and i will forever be trying to not scratch it. Long and the short of it....................I passed on buying that well researched O/U and purchased a 20ga upland special. Meets all my requirements + holds 3 shots, weight is 6 1/4 lbs, 23" barrel, Handles like a dream for my hunting needs ($400 on sale. 3 months later found another on clearence for $300) Yours are most likely different and I don't know how much of this information is applicable to you so take what you can use and delete the rest.

Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yours are most likely different and I don't know how much of this information is applicable to you so take what you can use and delete the rest.

Good luck on your search!
That helps alot. I'll probably end up doing something similar. Its really unfortunate that more o/u's dont meet our requirements without expensive refits. I ahte to pay an additional $125 just because I am left handed.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Miller's Gun Center in New Castle, Delaware has special runs of Brownings made, some in a left hand version (cast on). They are Browning 425s in Grade 5, which is the same as a Grade 6, but without the gold. The guns are oil finished as well and run about $2400?

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
Browning cynergy....neutral cast with a adj comb on the synthetic model and a ultra adj comb on the wood. I`m a lefty....they work. Also the winchester energy select has a neutral cast with a adj comb. Not as much money but looks to be a good gun built by FN. Don`t bend a right hand gun. The palm swell will be on the wrong side and why ruin a high dollar gun when a left hand gun can easily be had. You just have to look a little harder. I`m currently waitng on a left hand DT10.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Shootist,
You did not provide a price max/min, but as a lefty, I would highly recommend a Caesar Gureini in 12 ga, as they can be ordered with a lefty stock at no charge. The cast is minimal, with a palm swell left side. The gun is well worth the cost.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nightcrawler said:
Shootist,
You did not provide a price max/min, but as a lefty, I would highly recommend a Caesar Gureini in 12 ga, as they can be ordered with a lefty stock at no charge. The cast is minimal, with a palm swell left side. The gun is well worth the cost.
I was wanting to kep it around $1,000. I have a feeling I'll end up with a semi auto or a pump. I would like an o/u, but the choices for a leftie friendly gun in my price range is very limited.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Shootist

If you want I have several they are right handed models with the palm swell but you are welcome to shot them and see what you think and you might be able to acertain a little more. let me know and we can hook up and you can give them a a try.

·
Registered
493 Posts
riley1dog said:
Shootist

If you want I have several they are right handed models with the palm swell but you are welcome to shot them and see what you think and you might be able to acertain a little more. let me know and we can hook up and you can give them a a try.
Very nice offer riley1dog!.

Shootist: I should have mentioned the used market to get the price of a quality O/U that meets enough to all requirements down to a more reasonable price.

I was able to shoot a few O/U at the range. They were pretty guns (Browning's). I didn't shoot well at all with them. Remington fits me good. So well that tripple's while hunting are a real possibility. Guns you shoot really well are very satisfying and a good functioning auto is a 3 shot O/U to me (just pull trigger). Wood on these can be very presentable. Unfortunatly, beauty alone does not make you a good to excellent shooter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts