Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this at another forum but they weren't sure...

I've been googling Mossberg and Remingtons and have read so much that it's starting to confuse me. I read that Mossberg 590A1 shotguns have a metal trigger guard...which I assumed would be steel. But then I read a few things saying it's Aluminum as well as the receiver. I read that the Remington M 870 Police has a metal receiver and trigger guard and another that says the trigger guard is Polymer.

I would like to get a shotgun that has a steel reciver,trigger guard and a heavy barrel if I can.Can I get it all with the Remington 870 Police or will I have to choose which 1 or 2 traits I really want?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
wingmaster metal triggerguards have always been aluminum (as far as I know). I have a used one that rode on a patrol car mount and wore a good spot down. the newest premium non-wingmasters 870's I've seen lately all have the plastic trigger housings inluding a couple of the tactical autoloaders.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Comparing them side by side, the Remington has more steel in it than the Mossberg.
I am NO fan of Mossberg shotguns. I won't bore you with the already posted reasons. (Everyone is breathing a collective sigh of relief!) :)

While the trigger assembly on the 870 Express may be polymer, you can get an aluminum (read metal) assembly from other sources.
The Mossberg will have an aluminum receiver, so, Remington gets the nod.

Advantage - - - Remington.

Thanks for reading . . . .

Keith

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
byf43 said:
Comparing them side by side, the Remington has more steel in it than the Mossberg.
I am NO fan of Mossberg shotguns. I won't bore you with the already posted reasons. (Everyone is breathing a collective sigh of relief!) :)

While the trigger assembly on the 870 Express may be polymer, you can get an aluminum (read metal) assembly from other sources.
The Mossberg will have an aluminum receiver, so, Remington gets the nod.

Advantage - - - Remington.

Thanks for reading . . . .

Keith
...and this applies to the Police model? From what I read and understand the Express, Wingmaster and police model are all different.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
All Rem. 870s have steel receivers. The degree of polish and finish varies between models. Express models have a rough finish and a plastic trigger guard. Wingmasters are polished and blued with an aluminum trigger guard. Police models have been available in various finishes like parkerized or blued. I think all police models have aluminum trigger guards like Wingmasters, new models might be plastic, though.

Mossberg 500 and 590 receivers are aluminum. Most have plastic trigger guards. Some 590A1 and 500MilSpec guns have aluminum trigger guards, but I hear its kind of a mixed bag.

Remington definately has "more steel."

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I just bought a 870P a few months ago and the trigger guard is aluminum. It is a heaver and bulkier casting than the one on my Wingmaster

1 - 6 of 6 Posts