Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all, I would like to start looking for a over/under 12 ga. I understand the cost of some of these go quite high, I would like to keep it under 1200.00 I figure this would be a good place to start, I really dont want any of the spanish or lesser known guns for now. I would like to keep it to the brownings, berreta, winchester, remington etc....But I am totally open minded to anything yall have to say, I know more about ar's and pumps, this o/u is a whole new ball game. Can you please tell me what to look for in a quality gun, I do know I want a 12 ga, 28"-30" long barrel, chokes, and ejectors, thats all I know, any advice you can give I sure would appreciate it, I dont want to make a bad buying decision.Thanks again
Randy

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
Geta Remington 332. They are very good guns that are highly underrated because most shooters think (mistakenly) that American mass manufacturers can't make affordable, reliable, desireable shotguns.

That incorrect impression has prompted Remington to give away some bennies with their 332s, like an aluminum Americase gun case. You can fidn that deal in gunbroker.com for about 1100 to 1150.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
$1200 would buy a minty Citori. $1450 will buy you a NIB Miroku, which is essentially the Citori made for the European market. Lower end used Berettas can also be had in the $1200 range. I would lean toward a used minty Citori. They are very good guns and because they are made in so many configurations, it's relatively easy to find a model to fit you.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Is this gun for hunting or clay targets? If it's for hunting, stay away from barrel porting.

All used guns:
Beretta 686/687/682 (Hard to find a 682 for that though)
Browning Citori/Ultra/425
Winchester 101 (although some of these kick like the dickens)
Browning Superposed (be careful and understand the salt wood problem before you buy here)
Sig/Rizzini Aurora (these may be slightly higher than your $1200 but are superb guns)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys keep em coming Im looking up info on all that you suggest, mostly the gun will be used for hunting, but, I would like it to be flexible for clays, thats one reason I wanted the choke option. Please keep the advise coming. Thanks again

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
59Bassman said:
Is this gun for hunting or clay targets? If it's for hunting, stay away from barrel porting.

All used guns:
Beretta 686/687/682 (Hard to find a 682 for that though)
Browning Citori/Ultra/425
Winchester 101 (although some of these kick like the dickens)
Browning Superposed (be careful and understand the salt wood problem before you buy here)
Sig/Rizzini Aurora (these may be slightly higher than your $1200 but are superb guns)
Which of the 101's kicks like the dickens, this is all new to me, so,please be patient. :oops:

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
I rathere agree that, although you can get some decent new guns for your budget, you can get a much better used gun for that price and, if you are reasonably careful in your selection, you will never see any impact of it being used.

If you are a target shooter, I would look to used Berrettas or Brownings, but if you can find a nice used Berretts 68x series gun (particularly before they went to that coarse checkering and tried to convince the shooting community it was in their best interest), you will have a winner.

Stephen

·
Registered
510 Posts
Southernfried said:
Which of the 101's kicks like the dickens, this is all new to me, so,please be patient. :oops:
Well, I've only had a few opportunities to shoot 101's, but every one I have shot has punched me hard. Some folks love them, though. I think it's probably mostly a question of stock fit and comb geometry. If you like the feel of the gun and it fits you reasonably well, then I wouldn't worry about it. Win 101's just don't fit me. But then again, neither do stock Brownings.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I like Winchester 101's.

101's are pretty light weight shotguns. Light shotguns kick more than heavy shotguns. You can add weight in the stock for clay games and take it out for field use. Stock dimensions are pretty close between Browning and Winchester. A 12 gauge 101 is generally about 10 oz to 1 lb lighter than a Citori and a lot quicker handling in the field.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive been looking on gunbroker, I really dont know of any place larger to look on the internet for pics of shotguns, but does the 101 winchesters come with chokes and if they do, whats the model number, thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, Ive been looking at the browning citori's and the beretta 686's, and the Weatherby Orion, I think Im narrowing the field :D ,but, on the citoris that come with fixed choke like f/f, or f/m or any really, such as the Winchester 101, all I can find are fixed choke, can you have chokes installed, and if so which particular barrel is better for it, the full, modify or does it matter. Also on the 686 model, are any of the models solid between the barrels, the upper and lower, I like the solid look, like the browning, when theres a gap to my eye it just dont look right. Thanks again for all your help, once I decide I still gotta extract the money out of my wife :cry:

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Some of the later 101s have choke tubes, and some even have tubes in just one barrel, but as you have found out, most of them are fixed chokes. If you are using it for Trap or Skeet and it is IM and Full or Skeet/Skeet it really doesn't make any difference anyway. Most all 101s don't have enough thickness to have chokes installed in them if they don't have them already. I like mine just like it is, IM and full! Yes, Lots of Berettas have solid ribs between the barrels.

BP

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Southernfried, your going through all this knowing dangnab well that little Joey is going to need new braces! Momma is going to need a new dryer, cause she's tired of hanging your dam clothes outside on the line! And the car...oh, the car!!! Why you puttin yourself through all this, brother!?? Give up, sneak yourself a Huglu or a Dehann so you will have something to put some meat on the table to go with all the rice and beans your bound to be eattin soon!

Bob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol yeah I know, I may even have to sell my ar15 I just got built, but I hope it dont come to that :D ,but more than likely will. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts