Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have two reloading presses that I have inherited. A MEC 600 Jr (I think, it has no ID sticker), and a MEC 650. I am new to reloading (obviously) and am wondering which press will be better to start on. My ultimate goal is to reload steel, b/c I do a lot of waterfowling. I appreciate any insight you have on this!

Thanks,
Hunter

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, what are your thoughts on the Steelmaster. I like the idea of saving a few pennies on shells, but this is mostly a hobby, and I don't mind getting a nicer press that will make the process more enjoyable. Is it easy to switch to lead with the steelmaster.

Thanks again,
Hunter

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Case. I guess you could say that the 650 and 600 jr are family heirlooms, so they will probably end up being displayed in my basement (man cave). Any particular reason for your vote for the Steelmaster?

Thanks,
Hunter

·
Super Moderator
7,981 Posts
The Steelmaster was developed by MEC to reload steel,all other MEC presses reload lead.

Steve

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Beezer's Dad said:
I guess you could say that the 650 and 600 jr are family heirlooms...
I certainly wouldn't say that.

The 650 is one of MEC's early progressive presses and is still produced. Its downside is that it includes no resizing station, but otherwise it's a very good progressive. If you shoot your own hulls in the same gun, lack of brass resizing shouldn't be a problem.

The 600 Jr. is simply MEC's basic single-stage reloader, still very much in production and still very likely the most-used press on earth.

You'll find information on the Steelmaster here on MEC's website:

http://www.mecreloaders.com/ProductLine/SteelMaster.asp

It's the equivalent of MEC's deluxe single-stage Sizemaster, but will reload either lead or steel very capably.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Case and Steve, thanks for the good info! I'll probably pick up a Steelmaster at the local place tomorrow. I already have the Lyman's reloading manual and will continue to read it and pick an easy target recipe to practice with.

Thanks again,
Hunter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts