Which one?
Browning Gold Hunter?210.53%
Beretta AL391 Urika?1263.16%
Remington 1187?526.32%

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going to get my first shotgun this Fall. I used a friend's older Browning 12 gauge semiauto for dove hunting last week and it worked well for me. I've got the bug and want to get my own shotgun. I'll use it for upland birds, waterfowl, turkey and small game.

Scott

·
Registered
541 Posts
I say the 11/87 cause I like the gun :p but mainly cause you can buy a 28" barrel preimer and then get your self a 24" for turkey and if you ever want to use it for deer then you can get the 21" rifled cantilever slug barrel. There is so much out there for the Remington shotguns I think they are a great first shotgun. They can be the only shotgun some one will ever buy and be used for every thing. You can configure them to any purpose Deer, turkey, upland, waterfowl, trap, skeet, sporting, small game, or home defense. You can find the Monte carlo stocks around and then buy the 30" trap barrel for trap. The normal stock and the skeet barrel. My favorite deer or even turkey setup if you plan to use a scope is a 11/87 with a Monte carlo trap stock and a 21" rifled slug Hastings paradox (or turkey barrel) with a B-square saddle base and your scope of choice(if turkey a red dot would be the ticket).

·
Registered
67 Posts
John

Thanks for the info. This is my first post, I am totally new to shotguns, and I have been reading this site for a month or so. I've been interested in shooting ever since I got the Outdoor Life Network.

I am also looking to buy my first shotgun in the fall. I found a nice trap club that is having an open house on 9/21 and I am really looking forward to it. I'm waiting on my firearm owners id card or I would go today.

My wife will let me buy one gun, and I was looking for a gun that would shoot trap and also skeet or sporting clays. I like the idea of having multiple barrels and stocks. The 11-87 seems like a great idea.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I said the 11-87 because I just love Remingtons because of quality and the fact that they don't jam often at all.

G

·
WOW thashooter that was really helpful :roll: Why, he has three good guns picked. Why would he want to look at Benelli? I see you are afeared of writing actual info but try.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When doing anything i like to keep my options open. I mentioned benelli because the uses for the gun were field. Benelli makes great field guns because they are so reliable from the recoil action they have instead of gas. You don't have to worry about o-rings. And if you try reading you will see all the benelli owners who talk very highly about their guns.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, locally, the 1187 is on sale for $569.99 while the AL391 Urika is $699.99. Is the Urika worth $130 more than the 1187?

I do like the ability to change out the barrels on the 1187 to fit different hunting situations.

Scott

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have shot a Beretta Urika for the last four years,before that I shot an 1187.
I got fed up with the 1187 breaking piston rings and tearing the rubber ring about every 500 shots.
I only shoot at clays and the 391 has never broken any thing.
If you buy the 28 inch barrelled sporting,with a flat rib you have a very versatile shotgun,and provided you clean and lubricate it correctly it should not go wrong.
Yours Mike.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm a Berretta fan I would definately go with the Urika. It really means a lot to me for a gun to be light. If you are going to tote a gun around all day it should weigh as little as possible. And Beretta has got it's gas opperated system down pat. I like the slim fore-piece. Remingtons are "bulky"--that is the only way I can describe them. It also doesn't help that I have an 1100 that won't eject light loads and if you want to dove hunt you have to eat $5.00 a box, at least. I also agree with the other dude--look at the Benelli's.

I think the Beretta is absolutely worth $130 more!!!

I want to add that I have a Teknys 20 (same as Urika), truth is that I haven't had it very long. But I love the way it shoots and I know being a 20, is a lot less than a 12, but I am a woman shooter and I would figure ya'll men are a little (verrrry little)
tougher than me so a 20 to me would be = to a 12 to you. ????
(Maybe I am way off??) I had to adjust my stock down a notch
and then the fit was perfect. My husband had a 390 Beretta and it gave trouble in real cold duck hunting weather. He traded it for a SBE and likes it better. The 391, I think, has now got all the kinks out of it. As for kicking, mine doesn't kick much at all--but it's a 20.... It has an extra recoil reducer and I don't know for sure if the Urika has one.

Good Luck--Hope you are happy with whatever you get.

If you do go with the Rem I saw a real nice one at Wal-mart, had gold engraving--a picture of Sam Walton.... I'm not kidding!!! (It was about $90 more than the reg. 1187) LOL LOL LOL

·
Registered
173 Posts
o.k. I'm with john305! not only have I owned and shot the Beretta 391 and the 390, (so I'm talking from MY personal experience) They were probably the worst fitting gun I've ever shot! Now I know there are a bunch of people that will disagree with me, but hey what the hell. Here's why! Unless you put a recoil reducer in it or some extra weight, the gun will kick the heck out of you shooting 1 1/8 oz. loads for skeet. Another reason for me that is is that the stocks are to thick for me, and unless I had gone to a gunsmith, the gun just did not fit! Again I have shot many different types of semis, pump, and O/U not too many SxS, and I'm speaking from my experience. The 11-87 is the do all, easy to maintain, Reliable, good fitting (for many people) shooting shotgun!!! Whoever wrote the post about changing the rubber o-ring after 500 rounds, must of been ripping it off the gun to begin with! I've owned my remingtons for many years, and have only changed a rubber o-ring because it split once. (I try to put a new one on after about 2,000 rounds. the o-rings cost about .50 cents and takes about 10 seconds to install. People shooting Beretta's are shooting them because their friends are, or they fall into that European marketing trap! I'll bet they all will wind up shooting a Remington again at some time in their shooting/hunting career, and lov'in it!. Good Luck! just my 2cents!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Get a Benelli. They are lightning quick, easy to disassemble for cleaning (no tools required), well built and can be had for not much more than what you are already considering. I have a M1 Tactical (I don't hunt or shoot flying things...), but a couple of guys that I've talked to that have the M1 Practical say they are the best for skeet and clays. And hell, they look nice. 8)

CW

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought my first autoloader this spring. (I have been shooting pumps for over 20 years.) It's a Browning Gold in MOSG, 3" chamber and 28" barrel. The reason I bought it was because if you want an 11-87 in 3" and camo, the only barrel available is 26" which I did not want. (I shoot ducks successfully with 2 3/4" ammo and only use 3" for geese, turkey and deer, so the 3.5" is of no value to me. Also, I felt that the 3" autoloaders would have less trouble cycling a wide variety of loads.)

Anyway, I have run about 100 shells through it with no problems at all. Excellent recoil absorption, superior camo finish and the duratouch is simply great. This gun is light, very fast and very easy to clean with no tools. I would suggest you take a close look at a Gold before making your decision.

BTW, the SX2 is basically the same gun as the Gold. Identical gas system and camo finishes.

G

·
Sounds like I can't go wrong with any of the three. But most votes for the Beretta and then the Remington. I'm going shopping this weekend.

Scott

G

·
I think you should at least take a look at the Franci 612 or 912. I've had remington 1100, 870 and 1187's. After shooting my brothers 912, I sold my 1187 and 870 and now own a 612 and 912. The fit and cleanup of the franchi are 10x better than the remingtons. Don't get me wrong, Remington makes good products, all my rifles are remington 700's, but for shot guns I'll take the franchi anyday.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
612shooter said:
I think you should at least take a look at the Franci 612 or 912. I've had remington 1100, 870 and 1187's. After shooting my brothers 912, I sold my 1187 and 870 and now own a 612 and 912. The fit and cleanup of the franchi are 10x better than the remingtons. Don't get me wrong, Remington makes good products, all my rifles are remington 700's, but for shot guns I'll take the franchi anyday.
Finding one locally could be difficult. I haven't seen one yet. The Beretta AL391 Urika fits well and mounts well. I tried a Benelli, but it didn't mount well for me. Will check out the 1187 this afternoon. Both the 1187 and Urika are on sale this week at decent prices.

Scott

G

·
Franchi website has a dealer locator.http://www.franchiusa.com/dealer-locator/index.tpl
most all the local gun shops in NC carry the franchis.With the franchi you get stock spacers to adjust the drop and I can literally disassemble, clean and put the gun back together in about ten min. When shooting sporting clays with the 1187 I average 30/50. First two trips with the 612 were 42/50 and 45/50. Mabey it was just luck but but I'm happy those scores.

G

·
I grew up shooting a Remington 1100, now my brother and dad still shoot a 1100. They love the gun and wont trade or buy anything else. I shoot berettas in 20g and the Winchester X2 in 12. These guns feel better to me. My brother, to my knowledge has never had a bad experience with his 1100, he has hunted ducks (w/ 2 3/4 inch only) extensively through out the midwest & Washington. My dad has had numerous troubles with his 1100. Both in the field and at the range. He always brings along a Mossberg pump as a backup. And, he has had to use it. The 1100 is a true shooter. But, so is my Beretta A303. Take some time and rent a few different guns at a trap range. Firing the gun is alot better then just picking it up at a store.[/b]

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought the Remington 1187 this morning. Now I'm having a devil of a time unscrewing the magazine cap!!!! It is locked down tight!

Scott

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.