Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m new to the Shotgun Game seen and I had a question.I am going to take up Trap shooting and I was wondering what would be the best shotgun to use.I have an 12 ga O/U with 28 inch barrels with different choke tubes,a 12 ga pump with 28 inch barrel with a turkey choke and a semi auto with a full choke.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hmm, Decisions, decisions...each may have its own advantages/disadvantages. The o/u with 28"bbls will be about 3" shorter than either the pump or auto with 28inchers, and yes,that can make a difference. The longer sighting plane is more desirable-especially if you are planning on sticking with it. The turkey choke for the pump is way too tight-you could always buy a mod or full, and a pump is fine for trap singles (doubles, too, if you are realy smooth with it), but the recoil from a lightweight pump can be brutal. The auto will shoot softer, and if the bbl length is at least 28'' and the gun fits you well, that would be my choice. Just remember that it will throw your empties at the shooter to your right if you are a right- handed shooter. There are simple, easy to attatch shell catchers for many makes of autos. Try each of your guns, and I'll bet that if you are not used to shooting with your gun premounted it will be a whole new ballgame.Try this tip, too. If what you are shooting is primarily 16 yd trap use 1 oz loads of 8's. You do not need anything heavier than this-guaranteed.

G

·
I also vote for the O/U as long as it is comfortable to you and fits well, remember to fire from your bottom barrel and since your are useing a field stock you will have to cover your bird when sighting, at the 16 yard line try with the improved cylinder choke and you will pick up a few more birds.RON KONTOWSKYDEAN`S GUNSHOP IIGUNSMITHING DIV.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey,I should have added this earlier when I replied-you need to know where your gun is shooting no matter which gun you choose to use. Most of us will break a 16 yd trap target at somewhere around 35 yds. What you might want to try is setting up a big (at least 36' x 36') piece of cardboard or paper with a dot in the center at at a height where the dot is at chest height or a little higher. Step back about 35 yards, mount your gun and fire right at that dot. Do this 10 times, and use the tightest choke you have. Do not walk up and look at the target until you have fired all 10 rounds. If you do and notice that your shot is not going where you want, then you will try to adjust and defeat the purpose of this test. After 10 shots you will be able to tell where the center of your pattern is. Use the same loads that you plan on shooting trap with. If you mark the center of your pattern and see that it is way off from the dot you were shooting at then your gun doesn't fit very well and it will be difficult for you to break targets consistently. Some people recommend doing this test at 20-25 yards as it is easier to tell exactly where the center is, and some even claim that for each inch that you are off, an adjustment of 1/16" to the comb of the stock where your eye is located is required. It is fairly easy to adjust your point of impact up with a piece of moleskin or one of the commercial cheekpieces. Too, remember that you are shooting at a stationary piece of paper while a clay will be rising when you shoot (hopefully you won't be one who waits for the target to peak before shooting). Anyway, it is desirable for your gun to pattern a little bit high on the stationary target-something like 60% of the pattern above the dot. If you aren't sick to death of all this then you might also want to try patterning the different chokes (one shot only) at this same distance. Take the target down and simply hold a clay somewhat on edge (about like you think it appears at the point where you normally fire at it) over the largest open spots in the pattern and see if it might be able to slip through unbroken. Yeah, yeah, this isn't a true test as it doesn't account for the effect of the shotstring, but it is a good test. I never had any confidence in IC chokes for trap except for the first shot on doubles, and everybody is able to take those at just under 30 yards. I'll bet that you go with a modified, but just remember that every gun and every choke is a rule unto itself. Just try this test and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I shoot on a high school team with a coach who owns a registered gun club and a very good shooter. I would reccomend your auto loader because of the length for both swing and sighting plane. Also because it you really get into the sport, there will be long shoots and a lot of rounds being fired and you filed grade O/U might have more recoil than desired. I would also reccomend a tighter choke than Improved. I shoot either an improved modified or a full. My "coach" shoots a full or trap full. And so do all of his AA and AAA teammates. That is my suggestion.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
dear 'yote
the humble browning xt trap gun is going to be hard to beat. if you are long in the tooth, or of slight build, get the 30" gun. if you are young and strong, or of large stature, get the 32". you can spend thousands more and not get a gun better suited for the trap game! :D

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
yotecaller said:
I`m new to the Shotgun Game seen and I had a question.I am going to take up Trap shooting and I was wondering what would be the best shotgun to use.I have an 12 ga O/U with 28 inch barrels with different choke tubes,a 12 ga pump with 28 inch barrel with a turkey choke and a semi auto with a full choke.
What makes and models are they? This could be a determining factor, as to which is best to go with. It may be possible to modify one or the other to make a decent trap gun.

Otherwise, just get out and shoot a few hundred targets with with each, and see which works best for you! :D

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
dear 'yote
reading the whole post is a good idea.
:oops:
as has been said, pattern your guns, and if you have one that shoots a tad high, and fits you pretty well, that one will be easier to shoot trap with. :D

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I'm a big O/U fan for skeet and hunting but my best game of trap is with a Remington 870 Express. The cheapest model that money can buy.

For some reason, that I absolutely can't fathom, I can hit trap targets with an 870. I can't hit spit with my Beretta O/U at trap. I'm awesome at skeet with the Beretta and even decent at skeet with an 870. But for trap the pumper is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I shot trap last night again.I used my Beretta AL-390(1 of 5 trap guns I have). I shot against K-Guns,Winchesters,Rugers and you name it,they shoot um. I shot 23/25 and 25/25 and won the shoot. All I`m saying is you can use any gun you want to as long as your breaking birds. Head down and watch that target !!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.