Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to buy a new pump 12 ga. which should i get the Benelli Nova, Remington 870 super mag, or anything else you'd like to mention;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Both are good choices and would suit your needs. If you live in a state that requires the use of a shotgun during deer season then you can get the 870 super mag combo that comes with a rifled deer barrel. If you are on a budget you could also look into the mossberg 500 if you do not need the 3 1/2 in". The nova is a great new gun with some real neat features and would definitely be a workhorse as would any of the guns mentioned here. Ithica would be a good pump to look into, especially if you are left handed because of the bottom ejection. Look on the used gun racks for the 870, there are plenty of them to be had and used hard. And the price on some is the best part. The most important thing about a shotgun is the feel of the gun and wether it feels good to you, so go to a store and handle as many of them as you can. Any of these guns would last you a long time and should do anything you need done. Read some of the other posts and look at opinions on the guns and others. Other opinions and suggestions are sure to follow. Rembrwn

·
Registered
14 Posts
One thing to keepin mind, with the excepion of the nova, is that you can buy incerts/shimms to adjust the fit of the stock to suit you best.you can't do this to the benelli because the stock&reciever are molded one piece. Out of the two choices you pressented,I would chose the nova,I personally think the action is smoother and it cycles a little faster.If memmery serves me right, when my hunting partner bought his,he had the option of buying a slug barrel,not a 100% for sure ,but I think he did. My only peice of advise would be to chose one with a reputable name,REMMINGTON,WINCHESTER,MOSSBERG,BROWNING,BENNELLI,and the offten over looked ITHICA MODLE 37(witch can now be bougt with a 3 in. chamber and steel receiver)I also agree with rembrwn,check out the used rack for the best deals.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, the Remington 870 is a great gun. It will last you forever. As Rembrwn said, don't overlook the Mossberg 500 combo. Comes with 28inch vent rib barrel and also a 24 inch fully rifled barrel you would use for deer.(Good post rembrwn):b

·
Registered
76 Posts
Go with the 870 supermag or supermag combo. I have one and love it. It feels heaftier and more solid to me than the mossy. The action in the nova may seem smoother but the 870 action will NOT let you down. Plus it is only composed of 2 parts and is really really easy to pull apart, clean and put back together.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Step into the 21st century and try a Nova ..they got all the accessories you need just like the 500s and 870s!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts