Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for a 20gauge pump shotgun. i need it to be cheep but still be reliable. if anyone has an opinon on which gun i should get, please tell me.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
What do you mean by cheap? What kinda "birds"? 12ga trap guns make good goose and duck guns, but are too heavy to lug around for upland stuff. Upland guns are great for their designed purpose, but are not so good for trap. There's really no such thing as one gun doing it all and doing it all reasonably well. I would buy a gun based on what you're going to use it for most and later on buy something else for your other shooting interests.

Whatever configuration and whether or not it's a 12 or 20, the least expensive gun I always recommend is a used Remington 870 Wingmaster or a used Remington 1100. They are ten times the guns that the cheap imports are. They will not loose there value if purchased and maintained in good condition and will last several lifetimes. They are long standing proven designs. Perhaps a good thing to start with is an 1100 Trap and then pick up an 1100 20ga LW later on..... or the other way around, depending on your priorities.... or the 870 if you prefer a pump.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My vote is for the Nova as well. The benelli's are light anyway so I don't think you'll have a problem "lugging" it around. Plus, it will shoot anything you put in it! Also, you can take it anywhere and not have to worry about getting it wet or scratching it up.

I've used mine for duck, goose, dove, quail, pheasant, turkey, trap, skeet, sporting clays and the occasional rabbit (12 ga.). Depending on whether you shoot duck, goose and/or turkey will, in my opinion, decide whether to get the 12ga or 20ga (if you get the 12ga. spend the extra $$ and get the recoil reducer, trust me). Also, around $350 brand new is cheap enough to throw it away after a few hundred thousand rounds. You might be able to find a decent one used for around $250.

One more think, try and fire one before you buy one. People either hate or love their nova's and it usually is dependant on the weight and it's action. Shoot it and find out

GOOD SHOOTIN'

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Or you can buy an 870 and keep it for the rest of your life. An 870 is ten times the gun a Nova is and the cost is the same, so why would you buy a Nova? Is it that spacy looking forend? The catchy name? Lack of knowledge???????????????????

·
Registered
654 Posts
Pump- go for an 870. Auto- go for the 1100. Both in 12 g. The Novas are cool looking for maybe home defense but the remingtons are the classic target gun.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Well, I have an 870, and it is a nice enough shotgun, but 10 times a Nova?? Not in your wildest dreams! My first impression of the Nova was very similar. But not too long after I first saw them a good friend of mine aquired one in a round about deal of some sort or other. After using one a bit and him using it a LOT, my first impression has changed dramaticly. No, it is not a traditional blue steel and walnut shotgun, but servicable and reliable, it indeed is! Only problem my friend has with his is he sometimes gets in a hurry cycling the gun after fireing and since it is a 3-1/2" reciever and he shoots a lot of 2-3/4" shells, he sometimes short strokes it and fails to get the empty out or more likley, doesn't get the second shot chambered. It isn't a gun problem, but an operator malfunction! The 870s are NOT without their own set of problems, trust me, I have one. I probably won't sell it, but If things really get tough, I'll be toting my Model 12 instead, I'll guarantee you that!

BP

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
infanterene said:
Pump- go for an 870. Auto- go for the 1100. Both in 12 g. The Novas are cool looking for maybe home defense but the remingtons are the classic target gun.
I can't remember the last time looks broke a clay or killed a bird. Can you?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I as well laughed the first time I saw the Nova but bought it as a so called throw away waterfowl gun. "PLASTIC" what with this.....man was I wrong. My 24" Nova has become my favorite shotgun by far. I use it for everything and it has never failed me. I know many a shooter who has handled my lowly Nova on a clays course who has had one or two of them the next time I saw them. They just seem to fit and hit what you are looking at.

I have the recoil reducer and now a Comfortech recoil pad on it with a full set of Briley Spectrum chokes except the speader which is a X2 Briley. The accessories cost more than the gun.....is that luv or what? ;)

I have owned 870's, 37's, 500's, and shot quite a few model 12's over the past 43 years of shooting. The Nova for me has been the best shooting shotgun I have ever owned to date and that includes my O/U and semi's. If I'm out to impress others I will tote an O/U...if I am out to impress myself I will have my Nova in hand.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nova, nuff said. but most importantly is what feels/fits you best. get what you like but u cant go wrong with a nova.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts