Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you get to the point that you think you should sell off a few guns, whatever the reason, how do you decide which will go? Every time I think I should reduce the number, I come up with a reason why I still need each one.

·
Registered
27,084 Posts
Unless the "junk" has great family/sentimental value.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have never sold a gun that I did not l regret selling.

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
Chip Kolar said:
Same. Which is a good reason to only buy ones that you really want!

I would add - sell the ones:

-That don't fit you well.

-Ones that were "backups"

-Ones you could easily replace if you just need the money now (i.e., 725's. Silver Pigeons, Wingmasters, BPS, etc.)

-Ones with no sentimental attachments that parts are getting hard to find

-Turkish guns and Mossbergs (LOL)

Keep:

-Ones you shoot well
-Ones with sentimental attachments
-Guns you like that may have features that could be banned but yours would be grandfathered in (certain pistols with 10+ mag capacity in certain states)
-

·
Registered
68 Posts
Depends on the reason im selling. I have only sold 3, a mod 700 vt in 223, a win 1300, and a wingmaster 12 ga 870. The first two i dont miss, i never really cared for them. the wingmaster, i traded on a camo 870 super mag and while i liked the wingmaster if i would have kept it i would own 3 12 ga 870s, i can survive without it.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good ways to pick the ones that go away. I've had regrets on almost all that I've let go. Except the 11-87. I don't miss that at all. Or the Winchester 1200 which was my first repeater. I traded it straight up for an Ithaca 37, so I never looked back on that one.

·
Registered
29,046 Posts
Chip Kolar said:
Well, Chip, congratulations on that. I sure have. It seemed like the right thing to do at the time, but not only have I sold guns that I regretted selling, I've paid a hefty premium to buy them back.

·
Registered
29,046 Posts
EricB said:
When you get to the point that you think you should sell off a few guns, whatever the reason, how do you decide which will go?
When you have seven of the same, exact, identical make and model . . . it isn't that tough.

What is tough is when a gun isn't easily replaceable or is essentially non-replaceable.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The ones you don't use (or hardly ever use) for ones that you will use. After a while, if you have limited funds, you realize whether you're a shooter or a collector…guess I'm a shooter and the funds are definitely limited so when I want something new I have to see what I'm willing to part with :lol:

Curtis

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have a magic gun safe. I buy guns, go on binges collecting this and that, pick up one's I've "always wanted", and so on. Into the magic safe they go. After 10 years or so when I open it up
some have started to look like money, not guns. As my tastes and interests change, it just happens. Luckily, some have accrued value over that period so I come out ahead, or at least don't get completely hosed. Sometimes not.... ;)

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RandyWakeman said:
EricB said:
When you get to the point that you think you should sell off a few guns, whatever the reason, how do you decide which will go?
When you have seven of the same, exact, identical make and model . . . it isn't that tough.

What is tough is when a gun isn't easily replaceable or is essentially non-replaceable.
I thought I had it bad. I haven't accumulated THAT many of each. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
68 Posts
EricB said:
RandyWakeman said:
EricB said:

I thought I had it bad. I haven't accumulated THAT many of each. Maybe someday.
Well, the number one rule in life is that as long as you can find someone who has a worse problem than you, you dont have a problem. So keep it to 6 of each and you are good indefinitely. Lets go gun shopping :p

·
Registered
12,908 Posts
I've got six Model 1100s and I'm keeping all of them

·
Registered
462 Posts
I grapple with this as well. If I'm going to sell a gun, it's presumably because I want money (probably to buy another gun). If I want money, I'm going to need to sell a decent gun. If I sell a decent gun, I'm going to miss it. I have trouble letting decent guns go. Wanna buy a Rossi single shot hammer gun 20 ga/.22 cal combo that's a little rusty? I've got my eye on a vintage Westley Richards and I need some money.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
EricB said:
When you get to the point that you think you should sell off a few guns, whatever the reason, how do you decide which will go? Every time I think I should reduce the number, I come up with a reason why I still need each one.
I would ask you two questions Eric; do you absolutely, positively NEED the money, and do you NOT have somebody (son, daughter, grandchildren) to leave them too? If the answer to either is 'Yes', then you MAY have a reason to sell them. Other than that, why do feel the need to part with any of them? :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm sort of in the same position though I really don't have as much of the rationalization going on as to why I need to keep them. To Diamond Grades point I'm getting to a point in my life I just need a couple of guns to hunt with and with no kids etc I don't even have that excuse. If you are having doubts which you seem to be having if you don't need the $ I'd either not do it or proceed slowly sell one or two and give it a while to see how bad it hurts. If next year you find you don't miss them you'll ha e your answer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.