Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying an electric (12volt) trap. Cabela's has one made by Atlas for $799 and one by Do-All for $499. They appear to be similar in what they will do. Anyone have any opinions or advice on the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I wouldn't get either one of them -- especially any Do-All, about which I've read many negatives.

If I were looking for a single-stack trap I'd get either a Pro-Matic Hawk or Super Hawk.

All the Pro-Matic traps are built like tanks and the Hawk holds 65 targets compared to the Atlas' 50 -- at about the same price.

I just bought a 200-target Pro-Matic Harrier and it's the smoothest trap I've ever seen. It has never broken a single target. I also have a deposit on a Pro-Matic Pro Skeet set.

If you want a really solid, well-built trap get one of the Pro-Matics, which will last for years.

A gun club in Minnesota has dozens of them which are subjected to the worst weather and extremely heavy use but keep right on ticking.

You can take a look at the selection of Pro-Matics here:

http://www.promatic.biz/productrange.aspx

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are a die-hard American, such as myself and most of the shooter in the USA, DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM CHINA. There are several companies that manufacture traps in the USA. Keep our dollars here in the USA.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Promatics are made in the UK.
I have an Atlas 250 and am quite satidfied with it. By and large it will throw target for target with Lincoln Infinities, sometimes better. They are a well built machine, a little clunky, but easily transportable. The bird falls right onto the arm thus reducing breakage because it is only handles once by the machine whereas many machines have the bird drop, then the arm moves it into place, and that's where a lot of breakage occurs.
It's downside is the smaller spring that only thows 75 metres or so compared with multiple springs for the infinity. I understand an improved version with a stronger motor and a bigger spring is in the works.
The price sure is right.
The single stack machine looks good too because it will cycle in .6 of a secong which is faster than most.
As a Canadian, we can import and Atlas duty free under NAFTA, but a Promatic is subject to duty because it is made in the UK.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I think they are actually doing some manufacturing and assembly work on the Promatic in the Kansas City area now, their US headquarters is there. Our club just bought $75,000 worth of them, I have an ATA doubles wobble trap and a Sporting Clays trap in my shop as we speak. They look and perform very well indeed! I suspect there are indeed other very good traps available, but in our location it looked like Promatic was the one to beat!

BP

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
If you have the money to spend, get the Beomat traps from Sweden... expensive, but worth it.

The old Winchester single track traps were pretty good too, but they don't hold very many targets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts