Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently shot several Quail with white spots on their breasts about the size and shape of a grain of rice. Anyone know what this is and is it ok to eat them?

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was a spot on the breat not a protrusion or abcess. Texture was really about the same I'll se if I can find one in the freezer and try and get a picture.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
White spots mean sarcocystis. AKA rice breast. It is a parasite. Mostly it is associated with ducks, but it can be found in other species. I advise not to eat, and dispose of the carcass where other animals will not eat it which could transfer the disease.

They look like grains of rice running with the grain of the meat in the breast.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-27272--,00.html

Stuff like this is why you don't clean birds with cuts on your hands. Apparently a regular on refugeforums got had some of these things infect his thumb.

I shot a black duck with this last week, that's the only reason I know about it.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put them in the freezer so will have to go through them and find the ones that had them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have known this for yearsL spots on the liver or rice spots like you describe and I throw the whole bird out and burn its carcase.
Don't just toss it in the garbage. Incinerate it!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
You throw away birds with liver spots? How bad are the spots? If the liver looks off color then we don't eat the liver, but we still eat the rest of the bird. Maybe I have not seen such spots?

Jeremiah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts