Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope somebody here can point me in the right direction. My Whitewing has suddenly picked up a bad habit of going back onto "safety" after the first shot. It seems the recoil is flipping the safety back on.

I took the stock off to have a look. There is a bent spring that the pin of the safety slides over to hold it either on safe or fire status. It looks like the pin barely slides over the peak of the hump when on fire status and it doesn't take much to push it back to safe.

The spring is a wire, bent around a screw in the reciever, but does not appear to be adjustable.

So, has anybody else heard of this problem and how did they fix it?

Dave

·
Registered
299 Posts
dave-j, the safety pin has to go all the way past the spring's bump to be able to hold the safety firmly in place. Maybe you just have to push the safety harder to overcome the bump? Other possibilities coming to mind would be some kind of debris interfering with the movement of the safety or a loose safety spring. The safety spring should be firmly held in place by its screw fitting through the spring's eye or loop; if the screw's loose, the spring won't be pressed upwards with enough force and also the eye of the spring might get pushed off the screw shank a bit when the safety is operated. I'd remove the safety from the tang for checking this out, that's pretty simple, but make sure before that the safety would be able to slide over the trigger's (trigger housing) leg freely (there must be some minimal play between the safety and trigger leg in the safe position ), thus blocking movement of the trigger. Move the barrel selector button in the safety body to the mid position; it'll stay in place there under its own spring pressure (ball and spring). Remove the safety pin with an appropriate pin punch or similar tool; you can pull the pin with a pliers as it's a loose fit. Remove the safety body and check it and the corresponding tang slot for debris or burrs which could interfere with free traveling of the safety. Check the safety spring for looseness; the legs of the spring should press firmly upwards against the tang without any looseness or play. If the safety spring screw is loose, remedy can be a bit tricky because the screw is not easily accessible without removing the entire trigger plate which you would probably better avoid. If the screw seems to be loose, check if you could reach it with an angled screwdriver.

Hope this helps.

BG

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BG,

Thanks for your reply. The spring is not loose. It is held quite tightly by the screw. I know what you mean about that screw not being accessible. I can't see any debris that would prevent the safety from moving all the way forward, but will try to take the assembly apart tonight for a better look.

I also can't rember if the safety moved further forward before this started. I am pushing as hard as I can and it still goes only far enough for the pin to sit just past the top of the hump.

After that, it is straight to Beretta USA in Maryland!

Dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I took the stock off one more time. The screw holding the spring was tight. The spring itself was tight against the receiver housing. No debris visible preventing the safety from moving all the way forward. Short of taking off the trigger housing, there was nothing more I could do (with my limited skill set).

So...called Beretta and was told to send it back to them in MD. Then it becomes a bit of a problem. Shipping a gun, in Massachusetts anyway, requires that an FFL be the shipper. I find this out after having spent an hour on the phone with Fedex who said I didn't need to do that. Went to the Fedex store and was asked to leave immediately with my weapon! They wouldn't touch it.

I did have a buddy who runs an Orvis shop who is an FFL, so I stopped by his shop and the gun is now on its way back to Beretta. I'll let you all know what happens next.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got the gun back from Beretta. They ended up replacing the entire safety mechanism and it definitely moves forward farther now than before. No charge, 10 day start to finish turnaround!

dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.