Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

It's a great running joke here on the forum when we see people trying to find excuses to buy that new shotgun :D

My favorite (because it's the one I used!) is owners of semi-autos who decide to buy an O/U because they're tired of picking up hulls. Try to picture another time you've decided to plunk down $1200 or more because you don't like picking something up off the ground.

But who here really collects shotguns just for the sake of collecting?

I think I am on the verge of becoming a collector, in that there are a few shotguns I'd like to have just for the sake of having them. In my case, I'd like to have at least one "representative" gun from each manufacturer, just so I can appreciate the differences.

I have a Mossberg, a Beretta, and a Franchi. I really must get a Remington (870 Wingmaster?) and a Browning (525?). I'd love to have a bottom-ejecting Ithaca and a Benelli Nova just because they're different from the norm. That would be my short list...

Anyone else "collect"? Do you just buy anything that strikes you, or do you have a "grand plan" that you're trying to fulfill?

Just curious... :eek:

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I don't know if I qualify as a collector, but I'm definately an accumulator..

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point :eek: I'm probably closer to that, too...

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
My first goal is to get at least one of each action type but the optimal would be:
12 pump
16 o/u
20 semi
28 sxs
410 single

After this I would like to get a few others
12 o/u Browning Superposed
12 sxs Browning BSS
16 sxs Merkel
20 sxs Winchester Model 23 and 21
28 o/u Franchi with combo 20gauge set
410 o/u Winchester Model 23

·
Registered
86 Posts
I guess I might be one "in training," seeing how everytime I get a break from college to work I spend all the money I have on a gun. Worked all summer, 80 hours a week running mellon crews and two pistols is all I got to show for it. I LOVE IT!
I would like to collect A-5s and B2000s.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nic--that isn't bad! Let me see, at least 2 guns a year for the next 40 years=you'r doing pertty good.

However, I would upgrade that "mellon" thing! Just think, maybe 3-4 guns a year?

Those Browning toys are not a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'm on the verge of becoming a "collector",but don't let my wife hear that term. So far I've been able to establish a good sound "need" for any guns I've picked up,grouse, woodcock[shhh!] etc. :) The latest was a British made .410 "poacher's gun", something to "teach my daughters" to shoot with.I'm currently trying to get my wife into shooting so that I can buy her guns as well.I've also just applied for my C&R license so that if I see something overseas or out of state that I "need",I can have it shipped directly to the house.So far,everything's a "different tool for a different job".As the girls grow their LOP will increase.There are numerous species of duck and goose,all with different hunting tactics,of course.I guess eventually I'll have to take up elephant hunting :wink:
Jim

G

·
I've collected Rem M11 & Stevens 311s for awhile. I've got each model in each gauge, so one would think I'd be done. Nope. I always see another one with a little different characteristic that I must have.

BTW, I'm looking for Rem 11s with vent-rib bbls, not solid, as I have all of those. Also no polychokes. :lol:

humpback

·
Registered
520 Posts
I count 16 shotguns in my safe. Do I qualify as a collector or just a head case? :roll:

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
541 Posts
No apex you are just a gun nut. :p

I would love to start a trap gun collection myself. I have my two a Browning Superposed Diana Broadway trap and my Super X-1 trap.

My wish list includes:

-Browning BPS trap special
-A-5 trap I have heard of them and they are listed in a few books I have, but never seen one.
-Browning Recoiless
-Browning citori Special Trap Edition
-Browning BT 100 trap
-Remington 11/87 trap
-Remington 1100 trap
-Remington 870 trap
-Remington T90 trap
-Winchester 101 trap
-Winchester model 12 trap
-Ithaca (Perazzi) TM1 trap
-Ithaca victory trap
-Ithaca Century Trap
-Ithaca 3E trap
-Iver Johnson Hercules super trap
-Parker VHE trap
Any other guns I like too that I can't think of.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
How many guns do you have to have to qualify as a collector?

I've been collecting all my life but I still own only one shotgun! :p On the bright side, my collection is easy to move and doesn't take too long to clean.

I have a second one in my possession, my brother's $100 870 Wingmaster, but that is on a short term basis. He definitely wants it back next year. I used to want an O/U (ok, I still do) but after last weekend with the 870, I want a pump too.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
See, to be a true collector, you have to go for the unusual. I'm thinking of starting a collection of bolt-action shotguns with huge Cutts compensators on them. When I'm not shooting, I can paddle them out and surf.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've got 4 shotguns as of today (just picked up my BT-99 at lunch). I'm just a piker.

"Quality" is definitely an aspect worth considering for any collection. I've got 8-9 guitars, most "good", but nothing "great" (except as far as playability). A friend has 4 guitars, but they're all really nice, and the least of them is probably worth all of mine together. I don't want to be in the same boat with my shotguns.

-- Sam

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Although I have other brands in my safes, I collect mainly Remington shotguns. I have some Remington rifles as well. Remingtons are more in my price line than other makes, have American history attached, made in America, and I can work on them blindfolded. Someone has also said you can find parts for them at the "corner gas station". :D I also collect Remington memorabilia as well. This fills a childhood desire to own an 1100 like all my peers when all I had was a single barrel dragon that would beat the snot out of you.

"It would be most unfortunate when I die that my wife would sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them" :wink:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm kinda mad at Remington right now. I wrote 'em an e-mail and asked them for a Remington decal for my garage window. They said I could have one, but I had to pay 99 cents. I must've bought at least two thousand bucks worth of Remington merchandise over the years (start with five 870 expresses, two of 'em combos). Every other company I asked is sending me a free decal. Remington wants to charge me 99 cents :lol:

It's not the money, it's the damn principle. Ah well.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Jeff23,

Call Remington at 800-243-9700 and punch for customer service. Tell them you are a customre and request a decal and I am sure you will get one. While you are at it, ask for a new catalog.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ok, I will, damn 'em. Only kidding :lol:

·
Registered
338 Posts
If I had my dreams come true, I would collect SxS's
Somthing like an A H Fox , or perhaps a double hammer Horsley, and a 12 g David McKay Brown,
However with a paycheck like mine, I'll stick to walmart's special. 8)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.