Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friends All....The poll on favorite hulls is very interesting! It seem to show a good cross section of shotgun users. This is excellent as it shows the forum is not polarized like many metallic forums. Now, if you will, vote on what your main shotgun reloading is. This will give us an idea for future posts on test results......Thanks, James

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello james:

I voted turkey, but this also includes a lot of loading for pattern testing.

I also enjoy loading and testing buckshot in various configurations for the purpose of predator hunting.

For some extra fun, I have made up a few specialized loads with the BPI MG/42 wad. These will be used for crow hunting.

Friend Bill

Lex Talio
Reloading Advisor
(4/6/03 11:56:27 am)
Reply Re: Reloading
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill......We have come up with some interesting results in buckshot. With stacking #00 & #0 in a 2 stack (not the old 3 stack) in the BP Turkey Ranger wad, with plenty of buffer........we have gotten some vey interesting results in full choke guns.......Best Regards, James

Scott231
Frequent SW Visitor
(4/6/03 11:48:57 pm)
Can't believe Waterfowl was'nt on the list. Gods gift to the Wing shooter!!!!!!

Scott

Lex Talio
Reloading Advisor
(4/7/03 9:25:22 am)
Scott.....I don't know where my brain was when I set up th poll. You are correct that waterfowl should have been a main catagory! I tried to edit the poll and change "other" to "waterfowl" but it looks like I can't. Sorry about that and it will not happen again! Best Regards, James

Scott231
Frequent SW Visitor
(4/7/03 11:24:54 pm)
Let you slide this time My opinion waterfowl is the ultimate shotgunnin.
Read a lot of hoopla on the site about them traps and skeets.but can't find an open season on them in the MI. Reg. book

Scott

Back Fork Bill
Unregistered User
(4/8/03 9:19:17 am)
Reply Reply
Hello James

Yes, I have found the 2 stack to be preferred with the larger buckshot. In the 3.5" hull (Federal) I am using the Precision Reloading steel shot wad (green). This wad is designated as (TUFW1235).

Here is a little something extra I recently discovered. I found that 3/4" copper water pipe is an exact fit for the plastic section of my fired roll crimped hulls. Thus I cut a couple of length measured sleeves from this material to the next shorter length. ie: A fired 3" hull becomes a once fired 2.75" hull. This resultant hull can then be used as a star crimp, or another roll crimp.

I insert the fired hull into the exact length sleeve, right down to the brass, then trim flush with a small razor or "exacto" knife. You must have a seperate sleeve for each type hull, thus I labeled my sleeves.

Works for me,
Friend Bill

Lex Talio
Reloading Advisor
(4/8/03 11:37:03 am)
Reply Re: Reply
Bill.....Excellent information! I have the need for this idea as I get some requests for 2" and 2 1/2" shells for some English SxS my friends have. This is the "How To" information we need here. Thanks and Best Regards, James

sxsboy
Shotgun Expert
(4/23/03 11:10:23 am)
Reply Re: Reply
Scot231,

There isn't any referance to them traps and skeets in the reg books because the season is all year long, you can shoot at night with the use of lights, and your ammo restrictions are limited to how many shells you can possibaly bring with you. I use a 5-gal bucket most of the time. And the limits are well, I've seen people get 100 or more a day.

I have to admit though the taste of clay and pitch is nothing compared to the taste of a nice fat Canadian mallard or even a goose. Joe

·
Registered
810 Posts
I reload because I shot a 16 g alot of the times. Its hard to find cheap shells for the 16 g. I load them for both hunting and clays.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I reload for clays and dove hunting so how do I vote? Keith

·
Registered
47 Posts
Clays and Upland....I think that anyone who shoots any quantity of clays has too, or has a deep wallet. 8)

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Everything. I reload for everything however I shoot most of my ammo at the range.

Haven't killed a pheasant in a while so I take my pissed off aggression out on clay targets.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
99.99 % is for clays.... but I load some 1 oz 20 ga shells for grouse, and some 1-1/4 oz 12 ga shells for pheasant. I buy the factory steel stuff for ducks and geese.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Haven't shot shot a duck since the no lead laws so I still have plenty Deuces and 4s left over. Shot one pheasant in the past 3 or 4 years and that with a factory loaded 28 ga shell! :oops: But I do shoot a bit of Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays, load 4 gauges and 3" .410 and looking into 16 ga too. Don't have a dog so I seldom hunt quail any more either, though I suspect my Trap and Skeet loads would be about perfect for that!

BP

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.