·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is.
But this is totally weird
This is an L prefix standard 12 ga gun
It has nice cut checkered wood - not Fleur De Lis
It has the later mag spring system with the dimples.
The forend does not have the detent.
But the serial prefic (L) and the barrel (WS) date the gun to 1969, when those features did not yet exist!!!

So just strange. The barrel is 28" Mod, no rib.
I picked the gun up in a local shop and it appears to have been fired very little.

But everything I see online indicates that it should NOT have the dimples in the mag tube (there were there, I removed them tonight), and that barrels are not serial numbered to the gun, but this one is (on the underside of the barrel).

Anyone?

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
It's a parts gun. Dimpled mag was not intro'ed until the 1187 came out. Plain barrel was never offered after that time frame.

Removing the dimples was pretty foolish unless you're putting a mag extension on the gun. You now have nothing to hold the mag cap in place.

Some pics would really help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skeet_Man said:
It's a parts gun. Dimpled mag was not intro'ed until the 1187 came out. Plain barrel was never offered after that time frame.

Removing the dimples was pretty foolish unless you're putting a mag extension on the gun. You now have nothing to hold the mag cap in place.

Some pics would really help.
Yes, added the 2 shot extension and the 18.5" barrel
I was thinking Frankengun, but my understanding is that the mag tube is a factory repair/replace only. I can understand the wood, since that all interchanges. But I don't get the dimples.
And like I said, the barrel IS serial numbered to the gun, in what appears to be factory markings. Of course, it could very well have been sent back for a new barrel and to have the mag tube replaced.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Remington did ser. # on some limited addition 1100s. I had a Diamond grade 1 of 3000 that had matching ser. on the barrel. The stock had a matching ser. #. Also under the recoil pad but the forearm was not marked. Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
msmith said:
Remington did ser. # on some limited addition 1100s. I had a Diamond grade 1 of 3000 that had matching ser. on the barrel. The stock had a matching ser. #. Also under the recoil pad but the forearm was not marked. Mike
I will have to look under the pad but I believe the stock can not be original to the gun since it should have the detent and not the dimples.

There are no markings to indicate any type of limited edition.

For the record, I bought it to make into a tacticool shooter, not as a collector, but the configuration and the serial/barrel dates just confuse me. No way a 1969 gun has the dimples.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, stock is not numbered, and I didn't expect it to be. It has the more modern (I think) R grip cap, not the diamond. Certainly is not original to a 1969 gun. But then, the mag tube does not appear to be either.

Just one of those strange things you can not explain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have determined that the stock is off an 11-87 - has the cut checkering with the cross pattern on the forend.
Still can not explain the dimple mag tube, that did not come on a 1969 gun.
I bought the Remington black synthetic stock, it has the ball in the forend! Cool, don't even need a wave washer.

Shot it yesterday with the 18.5" barrel available at Midway. Functions perfectly with Fiocchi low recoil one ounce slugs (pleasure to shoot) and very crisp with Remington low recoil buckshot.

(My local range only allows slugs, and full power are a beast to shoot IMHO, so the low recoils allow me to shoot the gun).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts