Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my 1yr old Britt to whoa when he's running pretty fast free of check cord in front of me. When he stops though he doesn't completely face the direction he's running (if straight away) but looks at me. Doesn't turn his body just his head so he can see me. I haven't been stern with any correction of this but just turn his head away till I release him. I'm guessing he does this because when he was on a check cord if he didn't slam on the brakes within about half a second I would step on the cord so it would jerk him. Is this okay? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
tube

Pointing dogs are not my bag, but it merely sounds as if he's just checking in for further orders; a long way from a fault in my book, just the sign of a co-operative dog.

Probably chaco and other pointer guys could throw more light on the subject; they know about this stuff than me.

Eug

·
Registered
29 Posts
Look up Bruce at AlmostheavenGsps. his screen name is AHGSP. He is a fantastic trainer as well as a good friend. He really put the polish on my two dogs and he can probably best answer your questions.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
No worries. He stopped, right? Like mentioned before, he is checking back and like saying, "Now what?" Walk over, tell him "good whoa" and make happy sounds and love him up. Continue training. DO NOT let him move after a whoa without you going to him and releasing him (touch on the ear or other specific command), otherwise the whoa will become, "stop for a moment." If he moves say nothing, pick him up put him back to where he first whoa'ed, drop him then say "whoa" when you drop him (a few inches drop is fine).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think it was a problem (which is why I didn't really correct him as much as style him up a bit) but just wanted confirmation. Magoo, thats exactly what I've been doing so glad to hear I'm on the right track this being my first pointer. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tubesteak said:
I've got my 1yr old Britt to whoa when he's running pretty fast free of check cord in front of me. When he stops though he doesn't completely face the direction he's running (if straight away) but looks at me. Doesn't turn his body just his head so he can see me. He hasn't been sleeping well on his dog bed; I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I haven't been stern with any correction of this but just turn his head away till I release him. I'm guessing he does this because when he was on a check cord if he didn't slam on the brakes within about half a second I would step on the cord so it would jerk him. Is this okay? Thanks.
The way I interpret it, is that your dog is basically saying "What now?" Or he is just waiting for your approval basically.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's not a bad thing, at least he is making eye contact. If he was not looking at you that could mean he was not 100% accepting the command. All this means is that he is more focused on you than the thing he was running towards...good!

·
Registered
25 Posts
You dont have a problem, what you have is a really good dog, specially for a one year old. All the previous posts pretty much said it all, once he gets the sent of a bird he will automatically point his head in the right direction.

-George

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
My dogs still look back if not being whoed on a bird. If they stop and obey the cammand that is what you want and having them focus on you is not a bad thing. When mine are on a bird and creeping or being overly competitive, one of my dogs can not stand any other to be the lead dog on a point she hates to honor, they do not look at me but focus on the bird. Sounds like you are doing good to have a dog obeying off lead and at a young age. I praise the dog and pet them repeating whoa slowly and calmly than release them and make a big deal out of it as a reward. Did you atart on a traing table or on the ground?

·
Registered
775 Posts
You made great progress with your britt as I feel woah training is the hardest command to teach. The next step would be to make sure your britt listens when focused upon a bird. This is carrying yard training over into field training.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow I've been gone for awhile and was surprised to see this thread still up! Anyway Finn had a great season. Not too many birds here in Ohio but he did a great job on the few pheasant (released) and woodcock that we did get. Held point with really nice style and retrieved every bird to hand. He wanted them right back immediately though.

Chaco I used the whoa post method from Delmar Smiths article.

I'm thinking about taking him out for dove/early goose this Sept. Good idea or should I maybe wait till after another upland season? Last year was his first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts