Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I know all bushing charts are just a start and I verify all bushing drops with a scale and my press in operation.I'm getting ready to set up for some hunting loads and I see the charts for Longshot have an almost two grain difference for the some # bushing between the Hodgdon and MEC charts.Can anyone tell me which chart you found closer? Just to save a few steps I know but Thank You.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
There is no right answer to your question. Use either as a "starting point." Your first set of drops with whatever bushing you choose will tell you how far off you are. Just a little? Move one bushing. A whole bunch, move 2-3.

Bushing drops will be different from machine to machine and operator to operator. That's why bushing charts are just a "starting point."

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agreed 100%, use the chart to get you in the ballpark then weigh your drops to verify. The first time I used Alliants Extra-lite the chart was off 5 bushing sizes from what I wanted. Weighing drops is the only way to be safe and accurate.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I just weighed and loaded some Longshot loads on my Mec 600 Junior the other day. My Mec 600 Junior with a #29 Mec powder bushing was dropping right at 29.3 gr of Longshot.

What do the charts show for Longshot and the #29 Mec bushing?

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
31.0 grains of Longshot for #29 MEC bushing.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Bushing chart just gets you into the ball park only and is useless for exact weight of a drop. You need a good scale - period.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Every reloader is going to jolt differently as you are running it, as well as the ID of the bushing is not going to be exact to start with.

So it's best to just start with a bushing that is going to throw on the light side, then break out a split dowel and some sand paper to increase the ID of the bushing to get it to drop the ideal weight in your machine during operations isntead.

On the other hand, if the bushing is throwing slightly heavy instead, the break out the finger nail polish to coat the inside of the bushing so it throws slightly lighter instead.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
here is a logical thing to do,
just go with the larger weight, most bushing charts are light anyway.

i dont adjust bushings to charts because there are multiple charts ! and the density of powders can change from lot to lot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all Bill M was right for my loader the Hodgdon chart was almost right on the MEC was way off. I guess I was overthinking a little I've just never seen a 1.9 grain difference before. The scale is the judge. I appreciate all your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.