Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a K80 with factory titanium choke tubes. I see folks shooting all kinds of shotguns with aftermarket chokes. Briley, Muller, etc. Do some of these choke tubes actually provide an advantage in terms of pattern density, weight reduction, or other benefit(s) or are the aftermarket choke tubes more of a marketing ploy ?

I am resisting the urge to purchase aftermarket choke tubes and would like to hear if there actually is an improvement to be had.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
I believe adding or subtracting weight is the primary 'tangible' advantages. I think most OEM chokes from the major mfr's pattern just fine. Especially if you use enough choke, and work hard at learning to read targets.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Do aftermarket choke tubes provide an advantage? Yes, no...and, maybe! The absolute biggest advantage they provide is found directly between your ears. If you think they give you an advantage, they probably will.

In fact, after-market choke tubes may not pattern as well as factory tubes. That's the potential "no." The only way to know is to shoot them on paper and find out exactly what they are doing.

I do use Muller chokes (U0 and U1) in my 12-ga skeet doubles guns (Kolar Max Skeet Lite and Beretta 391 Urika Sporting) because I experience less plastic build-up in them than in the factory Kolar and Beretta chokes.

As far as how they pattern, the U0 is just a little more open than the standard "Skeet" choke and pretty even in pellet distribution. The Kolar "Skeet" chokes pattern every bit as evenly, but just a tad tighter. And, they are not quite as easily cleaned of plastic wad fouling.

If your factory K80 titanium chokes pattern well and don't show a lot of plastic build-up, no need to buy anything else in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
American shooters change chokes a lot more than shooters in other countries.

While shooting the World FITASC last month in a squad of 6 shooters for 4 days, we shot targets from 4 yds. to 80+ yds. Not one shooter ever changed a choke.

This has also been the case at several other World events over the past few years.

Barrel placement is much more important than chokes, shotgun brand, shot size, barrel length, rib height or any other variable.

Demi

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
My scores rose significantly with the change to Muller chokes. What the reason for that is I don't know. Furthermore, I don't really care. Whether it is the tube or the confidence it may give me matters not.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The gains are small compared to the factory Ti tubes. My notes say that the factory chokes were actually lighter than the Mullers. I've moved to a Parcour but was shooting Extreme chokes in my K80 because I felt they patterned slightly better. As has been said above, if you use enough choke it doesn't matter.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
365 Posts
amboy49 said:
I shoot a K80 with factory titanium choke tubes. I see folks shooting all kinds of shotguns with aftermarket chokes. Briley, Muller, etc. Do some of these choke tubes actually provide an advantage in terms of pattern density, weight reduction, or other benefit(s) or are the aftermarket choke tubes more of a marketing ploy ?

I am resisting the urge to purchase aftermarket choke tubes and would like to hear if there actually is an improvement to be had.

Thanks in advance.
I bought aftermarket chokes with colored bands after I shot most of a shoot with SK instead of M because I nearly always shoot M and forgot to check before the event.

My sole reason for buying the chokes was the ease by which I could identify the constriction.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
One thing to consider as well is if the OEM chokes do not come in a configuration you want. For example, if you shoot a lot of 27 yard trap or ZZ or similar where a F or XF might be handy, and your OEM doesn't offer one, then you might want to consider buying one for your intended purpose.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

It may be a case of Dumbo's feather, but I shoot Mullers and find that they give me confidence. An additional advantage is that they are extraordinarily easy to clean.

Jimmy's literature will explain how he designs each choke model to best perform with a manufacturer's barrels. I know that he has used several of my guns over the years to conduct tests. Shooters I know who love to pattern chokes and loads will confirm that Muller patterns have a more even distribution than most. I trust their research.

·
Registered
533 Posts
amboy49 said:
I shoot a K80 with factory titanium choke tubes.

Thanks in advance.
I too shoot a K80 and I use Krieghoff titanium chokes. When I point my gun correctly there's nothing left but smoke with a pair of 20's and it does that with every shell I put in that gun out to 40 yards and my breaks are solid well beyond that.

If you have the same results, you should continue to resist the urge.

No thanks necessary. Its my pleasure to help.

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
Buy a lot of these chokes , as you will have a built in excuse for missing. Some folks need that.

Or you could run two 20's and concentrate on the clay.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I would say most who have read, or posted a comment have done some pattering with different chokes. I use to change chokes quite often years ago. Now unless it's a big tournament, I leave my Lm/Lm in or Mod/Mod in all the time.
I shoot a lot of 3/4, so recently I purchased a different chokes Lm, and Mod, basically for the 3/4 ounce. I liked the patterns.

So I used the Lm/Lm combo at a registered shoot. I have never smoked targets like that before. Was it my day, probably some, but if any of you notice a difference of the same construction, one broke noticeably harder, there is a difference in chokes. And now in my practice routine, I notice a difference. I shoot a lot of practice, it's available to me at my club, and back up all distances on skeet or trap, at all angles with my wireless unit, on the days nobody is there. The new choke is same what Anthony M is using.
Have a good day....

·
Registered
533 Posts
chips&clays said:
I would say most who have read, or posted a comment have done some pattering with different chokes.
I don't waste time or ammo "patterning" anything. I've seen what my gun prints once and that was in the basement at KI in Ottsville when they were cutting my wood. I guess it looked good, but I was interested in WHERE it was printing rather than how diffused it looked on paper. A one dimensional view is meaningless. You kill with the core.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.