Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about purchasing my first SxS and was wondering why manufactures like Huglu are so inexpensive. Is it how they manufacture the barrels? Steel used? ??? I hope it is not all labor and product branding costs. Which SxS would you recommend.........Priced at 1500.00 - 2,0000.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Huglu is built in Turkey. The couple I have seen were not anywhere near the standards I've come to expect from the likes of Browning, Beretta, Franchi, Rizzini, etc. Doesn't make them bad, just not what I was looking for. Looked to me like the old addage of "you get what you pay for" is still true here too. I've heard both very good and very bad reviews on Huglu products. I'm told there is a wide varity of qualities in different Huglu products. Depending on where you live and whether you want service, etc from one of the various importers, which are totaly independent from one another and they don't work with or honor the other distributers warrantes, you may or may not want to buy one. I looked at a couple seriously, and chose not to buy one. If I was in either Idaho or Ohio, that may have been another situation altogether. I have a customer who has a son who while stationed in Turkey bought a couple Huglu shotguns and they are very nice indeed, orphans, but nice anyway. My understanding is that Huglu will make what ever someone is willing to pay for. You want NICE, you get nice and pay for it. You want economy, you get economy, and that's what you pay for. I've heard good reports about deHahn's shotguns and talked at length with a local gunsmith, within 100 miles, and he was impressed with his new Hugly trap gun. (couple years back) He said it was every bit as good as his 101. When asked about parts and service, he said, with a chuckle,"I'm a gunsmith"! Like I said, I chose to buy something else the last 3 shotguns I bought. I think there are Huglu shotguns available across the whole spectrum from junk to very nice. I bet it isn't the very nice ones that you can get at bargain basement prices, but I could be wrong. I quit looking at them before I found out for myself.

BP

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would prefer to spend my 1500-2000 on a gun that has a known history, good avaliability of parts in my local area and with some expectation that gunsmiths would know how to pronounce the name (to say nothing about how to go about fixing it).

Just my opinion, everyone has one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
About two year ago when they became noticed by me, I called a guy named Mark at the number given in the ad. I guest my questions were to much for him!! He never answered the questions and would not talk to me when I called back. I know I am an "adam henry" :x , but when it comes to guns I am probally worst. I just like to know. To say the least, I don't own any of the guns and most likely never will. The Ithaca NID is still working so I'll keep on shooting it.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I guess I didn't really reply to your whole question. I'm not a SxS fan and as such don't keep an eagle eye out for them, but! If I was so inclined as to want to buy a new SxS I'd check out the Browning SBS, the Beretta, SKB, and I've seen in the new sales brochure from Franchi an nice looking SxS. I've no real idea what they would cost, but I know that thier O/Us can be had for the numbers you mentioned, I see no particular reason why a SxS should be a lot more money than an O/U so I'd expect that to be a possibility!

BP

·
Super Moderator
2,443 Posts
I think there are several reasons Huglus and some other imprted brands are less expensive than one would expect, including:
* cheaper labor costs in the producing country
* favorable currency exchange rates
* less distribution overhead

As for the quality of Huglus, I'm very happy with the 3 O/Us I own. I would not hesitate to buy another from DeHaan.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tal, did you buy all 3 guns from Mark? What models do you have? Any problems you have noticed with them? I recently purchased an Armsco model and have put many boxes through it. I did get what I thought was a problem but after talking with the dealer not sure that it wasn't "pilot" error. My other o/u's (Browning, Verona,) have inertia triggers and the Huglu has mechanical triggers. Now I understand the difference in the trigger sets but never shot with mechanical before. I thought the gun had actually double fired. After working with it I realize that the trigger mechanism is different than I am used to and I fired a second shot in very rapid succession. The rest of the shooting was uneventful. However, as I asked--have you noticed any particular issues with the Huglu model of shotgun?

·
Registered
518 Posts
IMHO, until America produces a good quality sxs in the price range you mentioned, which they currently are not, I would look at a Ugartechea (Spanish- can get them at lion country supply), AYA (Spanish - Bill Hanus Birdguns), a Rota (Italian-New England Arms), or possibly a Bernardelli Euro, if you can find one. I would also seriously consider a well cared for used model; Fox sterlingworth or A model, Ithaca NID, LC Smith, Aya, etc.

·
Super Moderator
2,443 Posts
My first Huglu was a 28ga U1. I didn't get it directly from DeHaan. I found it at a dealer. I was pleased enough with it that I bought two more directly from DeHaan (who I found to be great to do business with) - A 12ga U1 and a U4 Trap. The U1 has killed a few clay targets, some ducks and a turkey. The U4 Trap has busted several thousand targets without a hiccup.

The only complaint I have is the sight on the U4 Trap. It has just an orange plastic site at the muzzle. I'm planning on having a white bead and mid-bead installed. But, I did break a 99/100 with it last fall, so I'm not in too big a hurry to change it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
In my opinion,you could do much better on a SxS with that amount of money than a Huglu. Take a look at GunsAmerica or some of the auction sites for English or Euro guns to get an idea on this. A good quality used gun will retain the value you put into it initially,and probably last longer.Once again,it's a matter of personal preference,but when someone asks,I'd much rather be able to answer,"Oh,it's a Greener,[or Francotte]",than " Hewlew".No intention of sounding "snobby" here, but I tend to equate it with the Pakistani knives that you see everywhere. They work ok, but tend to go from "low cost"
to "no value" as you pull them from the shelf.
Again,JMO,
Jim

G

·
Burnt Powder said:
Huglu is built in Turkey. The couple I have seen were not anywhere near the standards I've come to expect from the likes of Browning, Beretta, Franchi, Rizzini, etc. Doesn't make them bad, just not what I was looking for. Looked to me like the old addage of "you get what you pay for" is still true here too. I've heard both very good and very bad reviews on Huglu products. I'm told there is a wide varity of qualities in different Huglu products. Depending on where you live and whether you want service, etc from one of the various importers, which are totaly independent from one another and they don't work with or honor the other distributers warrantes, you may or may not want to buy one. I looked at a couple seriously, and chose not to buy one. If I was in either Idaho or Ohio, that may have been another situation altogether. I have a customer who has a son who while stationed in Turkey bought a couple Huglu shotguns and they are very nice indeed, orphans, but nice anyway. My understanding is that Huglu will make what ever someone is willing to pay for. You want NICE, you get nice and pay for it. You want economy, you get economy, and that's what you pay for. I've heard good reports about deHahn's shotguns and talked at length with a local gunsmith, within 100 miles, and he was impressed with his new Hugly trap gun. (couple years back) He said it was every bit as good as his 101. When asked about parts and service, he said, with a chuckle,"I'm a gunsmith"! Like I said, I chose to buy something else the last 3 shotguns I bought. I think there are Huglu shotguns available across the whole spectrum from junk to very nice. I bet it isn't the very nice ones that you can get at bargain basement prices, but I could be wrong. I quit looking at them before I found out for myself.

BP
Huglo is now DeHaan shotguns LTD. The quality of these guns are higher than the European versions and for the price why should they compare to Browning or Beretta?? HMMMmmm???

G

·
At that price range---your only real choices for a NIB SxS are the Beretta----SKB----and the Ruger---if they ever come out with it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I saw a used Athena in that price range but it was -really- used. Looked like it'd be in the bottom of the skiff a few times.

I'm into some things most shooters would consider.. out there? Role-playing (DnD style, get your mind outta the gutter!), star-trek... lots of stuff. I've seen my share of Pakistani blades. Lots of folks buy them for events like Scarborough, Oktoberfests and the like where folks come and go in costume, complete with weapons, armor, you name it.

I've also handled a Huglu or two, and am currently trying to decide if I'm going to buy the U4. I shot with a guy in Alaska who owned and loved his Huglu. Shot on the AF team, probably a few thousand NSSA targets a year and never told me about a problem. I'm sure he had it tubed, but I never got to ask him how the .410 cycled. Not being inertia driven I'd thing you could cycle it on empty chambers, but not certain.

Anyhow - the point here is that these are NOT Pakistani or Chinese firearms. I think their quality is about 90% of what you get in Beretta's lower-end. Probably about 95% of Browning. I thought the 103 I handled was actually FAR better in the stock than the Browning Cynergy next to it (embarassing, actually). I couldn't see a signifigant difference in the metalworks. It might cost another $5-$15 to upgrade from low to high quality steel in a receiver. However, the labor costs involved are pretty much the same. Higher quality generally is a little tougher to mill but not always. Depends on the mill. Point? I really doubt the metal was 'cheaper' than the Browning because I simply could NOT FIND machining errors in the Huglu. They weren't there in the Browning, either.

I could have bought two Huglus and a case of shells for the cost of the Browning.

I think I'll get that Huglu later this month when finances are a little more favorable. I signed up for a league and I figure the difference will keep me in shells, targets and accessories - all year. Probably into next year.

What's the fun if you're too broke to shoot? I realize that $1500 is too much for a gun for some of us. When you lay out that much cash and have a gun and can't shoot it, it really makes you wonder what the gun's for. However, my season's bought and paid for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.