Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are the National always in San Antonio? It seems to me this, too, could be rotated just as the The Open is rotated. In fact it seems obvious the two flip flop the Mississippi with at least one being on the east coast every year. I know there are capable venues on both coasts capable of hosting the Nationals. It would give us nonTexans a better chance to participate, and increase first timers participation. Just Curious?

·
Registered
I lost them all in a boating accident.
18,042 Posts
The NSCA would have the US Open in Texas every year if they could. That's where most of the shooters are.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There are only a select few clubs that are capable of hosting a NSCA Regional (400-600 shooters). What makes you think that there are facilities out there that are both capable and have the ability to host an event 4 times that size (2,000+ shooters)? Personally, no clubs come to mind. I am sure there are facilities large enough to offer all of the events, butt the upfront cost would be out of this world. They would likely need a commitment to host 4-5 years in a row for it to be monetarily worthwhile.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wow, the Cardinal Center looks great! I still think a very large infrastructure investment would be required to host 2500 sporting clays shooters. I look forward to Sporting Clays becoming big enough to generate multiple very large national venue shoots. My wife and I are planning a vacation next year centered around the San Antonio Nationals.

·
Registered
185 Posts
KRIEGHOFFK80 said:
http://www.thecardinalcenter.com/
Last I knew Cardinal only had two sporting clays courses, and they were tight. There are 9 courses and 3 practice courses at the National Shooting Cmplex, of which only three out of the 12 utilize skeet/trap areas. If it were to be at Cardinal, then I would suspect that you would have to have 9+ sporting clays courses on trap fields. I wouldn't pay to spend 80% of my time shooting sporting clays on a skeet/trap field. They have absolutely no terrain. Cardinal is flat, flat, flat... with some trees here and there. Nationals too is not that varied with terrain, but I would argue that it does have more variance than Cardinal by far.

·
Registered
18,042 Posts
usashotgunshooter said:
They have absolutely no terrain. Cardinal is flat, flat, flat... with some trees here and there.
IMHO, that's the same as the NSC. I've never been to Cardinal, but the NSC is skeet field on top of skeet field on top of skeet field. They do a great job moving people in and out, but terrain, nope. Vegetation, nope.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
marist89 said:
usashotgunshooter said:
They have absolutely no terrain. Cardinal is flat, flat, flat... with some trees here and there.
IMHO, that's the same as the NSC. I've never been to Cardinal, but the NSC is skeet field on top of skeet field on top of skeet field. They do a great job moving people in and out, but terrain, nope. Vegetation, nope.
I don't remember any sporting courses being overlaid on trap or skeet fields. All the sporting, Fitasc, etc is on another part of the property. The skeet fields that you speak of along the main road where the builds are, is used for side games like Make a Break, practice, gun demos, etc.

Glenn

·
Registered
18,042 Posts
31 Pump said:
marist89 said:
usashotgunshooter said:
I don't remember any sporting courses being overlaid on trap or skeet fields. All the sporting, Fitasc, etc is on another part of the property. The skeet fields that you speak of along the main road where the builds are, is used for side games like Make a Break, practice, gun demos, etc.

Glenn
part of kcup, 5 stand for sure last year. I didn't shoot super sporting, but that sure looked like it was on skeet fields. But the point was zero terrain.

·
Registered
18,042 Posts
VTHokiesDuckHunter said:
Yeah - for those of us who mainly shoot in the East, parts of the Midwest and the Southeast; and then occasionally shoot in TX, the terrain differences are huge.
Agreed! Took some getting used to.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
When NSCA first formed in 1989 there was no NSC, only the National Gun Club. Of course there were plenty of skeet and trap fields but not sporting. That year the nationals were held at the Minnesota Horse and Hunt Club outside of Minneapolis / St Paul. The next year (1990) NSCA had put in I believe three sporting clay courses. This was my first nationals and I believe we had about 225 shooters or so. As the Championships grew so did the National Gun Club. Along with the courses, vendor row continued to grow too. The first Vendor Row was made up of portable buildings. With industry playing a large role in the development of our sport permanent building were added to the grounds just like those at the ATA in Ohio. Now we have a huge Vendor Row. The vendors play a major part in our championships because of all of the shooters wanting to try everything from guns to shooting glasses. How would you ever find a club that could offer this kind of vendor row? This is just not possible.

Like I said, as the event grew the National Shooting Complex was formed to separate this facility from NSSA / NSCA. It is a stand alone entity of the two associations. NSC operates as a club. Part of the revenue that the Nationals brings in goes to maintaining and improving the NSC. The other part (which is larger) goes to the association. In the early years the association operate in the red until the nationals. This tournament alone put us into the black every year. The association has been able to create the biggest and best clay target facility in the entire world capable of holding the largest sporting clay shoot in the world. NSC is a world class facility. There is no other facility like it.

The US Open was created as a major tournament that was to be moved around the country every year so all of our members would have a chance to attend a very large shoot when it was close to their area. After the Open was created NSCA started out Zone shoots so all shooters would have one of their own big shoots. The zones were not attended very well because they were not a mandatory shoot to qualify for the All American Teams. The AC and state delegates created and approved our Regional tournaments to replace the zone shoots. The regional have far exceeded the old zone format. All of the above changes have made the larger shoot possible across the country.

I did this explanation from memory so I may be off a little on some facts but the basic intent is here. Moving the National Championships would first hurt the association and NSC. It takes a lot of money to run both of these organizations. It also would be impossible to move vendor row each year. Most of the permanent building are leased on a multi year lease so or industry would probably never accept this kind of change. The staff at NSCA and NSC is the best in the world in my opinion. Our national championships run very smoothly nowadays. Why would we want to change something that has worked so great the last 26 years? No, the nationals need to stay right where they are.

Mike McAlpine
NSCA # 500664

·
Registered
365 Posts
31 Pump said:
marist89 said:
usashotgunshooter said:

Glenn
The middle row of skeet fields always hosts some event, usually 20/28/410 and sometimes super sporting.

The row of skeet fields closest to Culebra road also usually hosts 5-stand and either K-Kup or FITASC or whatever event is also being held in that area.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.