Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,803 Posts
RUT said:
I find it interesting that so many folks poo poo the Benelli because of supposed recoil, but nobody seems to find that a problem with over & unders. I have other gas guns and don't find the difference in recoil vs. my Benelli to amount to a hill of beans. Guess that's just me.
O/U target guns are very heavy which helps with recoil.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Dr Duk said:
RUT said:
I find it interesting that so many folks poo poo the Benelli because of supposed recoil, but nobody seems to find that a problem with over & unders. I have other gas guns and don't find the difference in recoil vs. my Benelli to amount to a hill of beans. Guess that's just me.
Each person perceives recoil differently and stocks have a lot to do with where the recoil is directed. A hundred rounds through my Montefeltro or My Ithaca 37 don't leave me any worse for wear but I definitely feel it after a hundred rounds with my Citori. Others may have different perceptions. I don't mind recoil much but my Rizzini made me flinch. A lot of variables to consider.

·
Registered
325 Posts
EricB said:
Dr Duk said:
RUT said:
Each person perceives recoil differently and stocks have a lot to do with where the recoil is directed. A hundred rounds through my Montefeltro or My Ithaca 37 don't leave me any worse for wear but I definitely feel it after a hundred rounds with my Citori. Others may have different perceptions. I don't mind recoil much but my Rizzini made me flinch. A lot of variables to consider.
This. I shot a Supersport for over a decade. The gun fits me like a glove and perceived recoil is therefore non existent. I'm also a bigger guy...6'3" and 230....so that may be part of the equation as well. I get where someone who weighs 50 lbs less than me might be bothered by recoil that I find to be negligible.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't think I'd choose a Benelli over a Beretta, even as a field gun, but would shoot one if I had it already. Both are excellent makes, just my preference.

I had a light Montefeltro for a brief while as a hunting gun. It was 100% reliable. I did feel that it had a pretty sharp recoil, in fact sharper than any Franchi, Browning A5 or A500. (Well, my A500 did kick pretty hard the one time when it blew apart in my face).

The softest shooting autos I've shot were the rather uncouth Winchester 1400's...And 2nd softest Remington 1100's......

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've always heard the benelli's kicking like a mule. Absolutely fell in love with the Super Sport Performance Shop model. But was a bit nervous of recoil because December of 2018 I had two discs replaced in my neck. Had no trouble shooting anything else and still had the itch. I bought a new CZ 1012 which is pretty much a Benelli copy and way less money I shot it a little bit I went and bought a Benelli Supersport Performance Shop it kicks way last in the CZ. I shoot the Supersport far better than I did my Citori CX. As far as stature goes I'm about 6'4" 240# with long arms the length of pull can be a little longer I have the longest pad now but it doesn't seem to be hindering my ability.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Love my Benelli SS, It is a soft shooter, But the softest and lightest semi I shot is my Winchester Model 59 winlite barrel, All the technology and a gun made in 1962 beats them all go figure

·
Registered
800 Posts
Correct answer for sporting clays is always always always beretta over benelli…too many advantages with beretta…especially if you enjoy winning.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I am a recreational shooter not a high volume competitive shooter . I am not particularly bothered by recoil, so that for an afternoon of 100 rounds, it makes no difference to me if I'm shooting an O/U or a semi, though I prefer the latter. I just like the sound and feel of the semi.. My first experience was with Beretta and I own two 391's. I also have a walnut-stocked Benelli M2 and a Legacy Sport. I shoot them all equally well although "well" may not be an accurate description of my ability. Having been shooting sporting clays 20 years or more and in my 80th year, the ease of cleaning a Benelli vs a Beretta has become a factor in which one accompanies me to the shoot.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts