Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may cause an argument, but I've noticed most skeet shooters hate shooting trap. Personally I shoot and love all three (trap, skeet, and sporting clays). I tend to shoot more competitions in trap though. Most trap shooters I know don't mind skeet and enjoy it like I do. Sporting Clay shooters also seem to like all three. It just seems like most skeet shooters I meet refuse to shoot trap. I just don't understand. Please don't get to upset with me, it's just an observation I have made over the years. Maybe I'm just mistaken, but even reading post on the skeet forum here I see skeet shooters talking about how awful boring trap is, and how it is so easy. It just dosn't seem like I hear these kind of things from trap and SC shooters. :? :? :AU

·
Registered
11,509 Posts
It's not trap, it's the trap shooters :D

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
sammy34 said:
Most trap shooters I know don't mind skeet
Sounds like you may have not checked out TS.com :wink: :lol:

Trap is my main game, good thing, I am limited in my choices where I live now.

Given opportunity, time and funds, I would shoot all the games.

I don't have any time for the infighting between the various clay target games; folks would do well to remember that most of the antigun politicians and do-gooders can't tell trap from skeet from sporting clays, they just know "they are ALL bad and must go away".

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Claydust, I used to be a member of TS.com until I realized how many idiots were also members.

ysr_racer, what's wrong with trapshooters (besides all the excuses every time they miss a target)? :D :wink:

·
Registered
775 Posts
ysr_racer said:
It's not trap, it's the trap shooters :D
I would have agreed with this statement 100% until I started taking my nephew trap shooting about 3 months ago. The decipline of trap shooting does not lend itself to "having fun" while shooting. Most clubs nowadays have voice activated throwers which does not help. If you say nice shot to the gun next to you........ bing, there goes another bird.

Skeet or clays on the other hand, where one guy shoots and the other 4 or 5 stand back and heckle the shooter seems to be more fun.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I find trap phenomenally boring. And most trapshooters phenomenally irritating. That about sums it up. Though, for reasons noted above, we all need to fight together to be able to continue to enjoy our 2d amendment rights and the sports that go with!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oletymer, I would never make fun of a skeet shooters tutu. :wink:

moose1223, has a point, but it bothers me when people talk to me while I shoot. Maybe this is because I'm a trapshooter, but when I shoot I'm in a zone and am completely focused on the next target, so when people talk to me it throws me off.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll just say I've never been threatened with a shotgun by a trapshooter, because I was on "his" field. :x

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Having been around shooter of all the disiplines, I see more fun bantering than any heart felt hatred. There certainly is a difference in personalities where skeeters are more gentlemenly and social. Trap shooters are more serious and competitive. Sporting clay shooters are more closely aliened to the hunting community. The conflicts are generally in clubs where trap and skeet shooters demand how the clubs money is spent. Which displine gets priority and projects funded.

There is more target participation nationwide in trap than both skeet and clays put together. Many clubs will give trap the priority just based on target sales. If the club is public, this leaving the Board of Directors with tough decisions on how to spend money. Having a board that is made up of majortity members of one disipline over others, compound problems.

I can think of shooters I don't care for, but those feeling are not related to what game they shoot. There seems to be some jerkoffs in every shooting sport including here posting.

Maltzie

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think Maltzahn put it best. There are bad apples in every bunch (my last post before this one comes to mind). I shoot all three disciplines and also hunt and fish a lot so I'm familiar with all these groups. This argument is a lot like the one between flyfisherman and people who use conventional tackle, both sides have similar interest, but allow some small differences to ruin it. 8)

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
I don't get to shoot a lot and when I do, I enjoy it. I don't really shoot skeet or trap in a serious way, I just shoot on a skeet field or on a trap field. I enjoy both, and 5 stand and wobble trap and sporting clays.

·
Registered
280 Posts
:lol: :lol: You mean, WHY DO SO MANY SKEET SHOOTERS HATE CRAP :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have no idea why we don´t like shooting CRAP ´
In Iceland we refer to Trap shooting as Crap shooting and
Trap shooters as... well you get the point :lol: :lol:
Mannsi.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not even going to try to figure out what mannsi is talking about. :?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I´m not going to tell you some of the names Trap shooters use for the Skeet guy´s as there might be children reading this thread :) But there is no hatred between Trap and Skeet shooters,just bantering and innocent verbal abuse :lol:
The only real conflict might be about how the clubs spend their money.
Best regards.
Mannsi.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
MRPOWER said:
I find trap phenomenally boring.
+1 to this!

maltzahn said:
There is more target participation nationwide in trap than both skeet and clays put together.
I think there's a couple of reasons for this... most trapshooters are older, and have more disposable income, and secondly (and more importantly) it takes a LOT less land to build a trap field than it does for skeet and sporting. Most every gun club in the country has a trap field, perhaps 1/'2 of them have skeet fields, and a small percentage have sporting courses...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Being equally competent in Skeet and Trap :lol: I like both games. 100 targets of Trap and Skeet on the same day is a pretty good warm-up for sporting clays.

As noted: Trap takes less land, fewer machines so there are likely more ranges with a trap set up than with Skeet or Sporting Clays.

I can't speak generally but both Trap and Skeet shooters have been plesant to shoot with in most cases.

Both games have their primadonnas and one learns to ignore them and compete with one's self.

I do have to note that for me it is not too hard to shoot a long string of consecutive targets on the trap field and to me seems harder to shoot the same number of consecutive targets on a skeet range. But I've been shooting skeet for the last few years and just recently bought a trap gun and started shootiong trap again.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I've shot all three games, but Trap is my background and that's where I am now. In all three games, shooters are pretty much the same. Most are great and some are jerks. Most Skeet shooters I know who badmouth Trap do so because they can't perform well at Trap. Most Trap shooters I know who badmouth Skeet do so for the same reason. I find that part hard to swallow because I find Skeet so much easier, but maybe that's just me. Most Sporting shooters who badmouth Trap or Skeet simply haven't shot enough of either to learn the history of the games or to respect another discipline. Bottom line is that people are people. Find the discipline you like best, work at it and you will find a fine fraternity of gentlemen in most cases.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
You can shoot a LOT faster on a trap field. Going through many more shells than I care to think about. Trap is also basically a 12 ga game. I more into the social side of skeet and sub guages. I seldom shoot a 12ga except for the occasional SC adventure. I do find trap a much easier game to shoot with my first time ever shooting getting a 23 and my son a 24......that didn`t happen in skeet. But I have no problem at all with trap shooters as I still occasionally shoot trap for fun and enjoy the heck out of it. We do all need stick together!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts