Shotgun Forum banner
41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
20290 said:
Five hoola hoops are positioned outside of the five stand. There is a program card on the ground to refer to. It's all true pairs so a perfect score is 26.
OK, I'll admit I'm stumped-------but always interested in a new game.

How do you get 26? 3 pairs is 30, 2 is 20. Alternate 3/2, starting on one and you get 26, is this correct? Or am I missing something simple? :roll:

By the way, our 5 stand has never thrown a report pair that I know of, in 12+ years.

Our iron man competition has in it, 13 pair of 16 yard doubles and 12 pair of 27 yard doubles. The 13 is alternated like I asked, 3/2/3/2/3 pairs per station.

As far as Trap vs Skeet, I don't really give a crap where you throw the targets from, just throw them. Better be on your toes or some darkhorse will take the candy away.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes, the hoops are set in the same fashion with 3 pairs on the first, 2 on the second, 3, 2, 3. That's 13 pairs...26 targets.

Do I take it your five stand throws only singles? Most of them around here throw a single, report pair and true pair on each of the five stations.

My main five stand has an all singles program for beginners, the one I described above and then a single and two true pairs for the "hardest".

We also do a lot of puller's choice. We have eight traps and you simply call for a bird and try to figure out which one is coming. It's a blast.

We can also do pairs with the wobble being the first of the pair and the other unknown to the shooter. That's fun as well.

I'm just not smart enough to get into trap. I start screwing around trying to hit targets on the left or right or shooting gun down trying to make it more fun. Not to mention that grinding out trap targets in the summer here in Florida doesn't have much appeal to me. Give me the shade of the five stand or the woods of the sporting clays courses.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Zeede, call them what you want. Older, cantankerous, moody whatever! Alot (not all) of trapshooters are snobs. On the ignorant side as far as social skills. Clickish like woman. I enjoy shooting trap but I go for myself and shoot. Be as polite as I can and go the heck home.
Spanky,

After you go to your second trap shoot, then the third and after a few more, please do get back to us with a bit more accurate description of all those ignorant snob trapshooters. Having been in these games for almost 50 years, I thinks it's pretty accurate to say that of all the clay target games, trapshooters are generally the more blue collar bunch. How that makes them snobs, I don't get. Then of course, if they appear to be lacking in the social graces, perhaps it's just that they have little tollerance of you.

Zeede,

Be a shooter. Be a gentleman. Some personalities are tougher to crack than others. You can shoot on my squad anytime. One of my closest friends is Chinese. I introduced him to trapshooting years ago when he was about 30. He (and we) got some funny looks I guess, but we never gave it much thought. Once you are around this game long enough, you will see more than just the ********. Trapshooting is populated by all walks of life and a better group of people would be tough to invent. Welcome.[/quote]

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
SS said:
Trapshooting is populated by all walks of life and a better group of people would be tough to invent. Welcome.
Oh, I love hearing their stories. I love being around old folks, they have so much wisdom to share, and they love telling it.

Generally we go and get something to drink at the club house after the game, and since I know the range's trap instructor, I just sit next to him, and they're okay with me by the time our drinks are done :)

Cameron

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
SS, you don't know $hit about how much I shoot trap, where I shoot trap, or anything about the clubs in my area. Your an a$$clown in every post on this site.

·
Banned
351 Posts
I've been around the shotgun sports most of my life. It's been mostly skeet, but sometimes trap depending on what was available where I was living. My current local club has trap, skeet, and 5-stand. Sporting is not far away and I shoot a little of that too.

But I'm on the board of the club now, and help out sometimes on trap night and at their meat shoots. So I'm talking to some others, including 5-standers and trapshooters, and I say that I've heard a lot about trapshooters, but these trap guys don't seem bad.

The reply was "yeah, they're good guys but these guys just shoot for fun and meat. You ahould have been here when we had registered trap. Those ATA guys....." You know how it goes, and this was from trapshooters.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've long believed it was the "registered" part of shooting that brought out the worst in people. Saw that long ago when I first started shooting skeet in Texas. Great folks around the Goodfellow AFB range. But during registered shoots, some of them grew horns.

Saw the same thing when I returned to skeet shooting 30 years later. Also saw it in sporting clays.

Needless to say I stay away from the registered shoots. I can shoot the registered course the day after the main shoot and have tons of fun...not to mention shooting the same targets at less than half the cost! :shock:

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
SS, you don't know $hit about how much I shoot trap, where I shoot trap, or anything about the clubs in my area. Your an a$$clown in every post on this site.
Thanks for the kind words & straightening me out Spankey. Didn't realize you were a trap guru. How about posting your ATA# or would that be a NSSA#. So what clubs do you shoot at? There are a ton of them in PA. Maybe I'll see you at Eleysburg this Summer and you can give me some pointers. Yeah, right. Break 'em all.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
TT;

I've gotten pretty deeply involved in running our 5-stand this past couple years. Built all the shooting stations, usually 2 of us set up all the traps and one of the 2 of us pull most of the time. We have a very neat hand held computer device that we got from Pro-matic. It has several preprogrammed target presentations based on both 6 and 8 trap layouts. It has 3 different levels of targets preprogrammed, one is singles first shot, report or actually it is a following pair, (the controller doesn't have ears), :roll: and the next pair is a true pair. Level one is just all singles, and level 3 is a single and 2 true pairs. Then we can customize our programs to do whatever in the heck we want to do. i.e. Single shooter time delay release. We can program flurrys as well. Only thing wrong with the setup is one must be smarter than the controller to make it work correctly. Therein lies my basic shortcoming! A couple other places I've shot 5-stand were just slightly different in their presentations. I'd bet there is just as much difference in how 5-stand is thrown as there are places doing it. Just because your range doesn't have a report/following pair doesn't mean lots of others can't, don't or won't toss that into the mix now and then. You may have an automated controller similar to ours that doesn't have the capability to do following pairs or else whoever sets up your 5-stand just doesn't do it that way. Myself, I kind of like the variation. Seems like most of the folks here who shoot our 5-stand like it that way too. Interesting thing about 5-stand. It sure humbles the really good Trap and Skeet shooters in a hurry! :wink: We always have a waiting line to shoot it, wish we could go a little bit faster.

BP

·
Registered
245 Posts
BP, you made me chuckle with your comment about die-hard skeet and trap folks being stymied by the 5 stand. Last year several competition trap shooters came over while we were doing hoops. A couple wanted to try it so out they went in front of the 5 stand stations where the hoops were arrayed. The first trauma was that hoops is intended for true pairs. Oh, no...not for the trap guys. Fine. They were thrown singles. I believe the high score for their squad was 10 out of 26. They left never to return. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Our local 5 stand can throw either 6 trap or 8 trap, throwing all singles, three singles and a true pair, or a single and two true pairs. It's fun. I usually shoot 410.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Just because your range doesn't have a report/following pair doesn't mean lots of others can't, don't or won't toss that into the mix now and then
Yes, we have a controller and it can be set in a myriad of formats. Flurry, or all trues on a 50 bird round, 5 pair per station. But unless anyone tells them any different they will always throw what was originally the concept format for NSCA 5 stand. We just need machines that will throw a target without breaking them :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I hope this year by the time snow melts, we have our own personal setup.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I find trap boring and trap shooters pretty snobish. a guy at the trap range gave me **** about my Ithaca Model 37 as he has a top dollar gun. Well i shot a 23 and he shot a 22. After taking crap about the old guy that might not make it to the end of the round i looked at him and said well if its a crappy gun then it must be the shooter!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
SS, you're the guru of this site man, I'm waiting to come to the shooting clinic your gonna put on. You put on a know it all clinic all over this site. I must have hit a real sore spot with you as far as being one of those occasional snobs. I could care less if you get the case of the red a$$ over it. Yeah, you're PA Hall Of Famer.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
kgpcr said:
I find trap boring and trap shooters pretty snobish. a guy at the trap range gave me sh*t about my Ithaca Model 37 as he has a top dollar gun.
Depends on the club and shooters.

At our club, we don't really care what you shoot as long as it is shot safely and etequite is followed. The only time we would say something to someone with a 37 is if they were loading a round in the mag and cycling the action for each shot. Then we would take them aside and show them how to put one directly into the chamber.

kgpcr said:
After taking crap about the old guy that might not make it to the end of the round
Some of these guys might not make it to the end of a round.

There are sometimes other factors we don't know about that make some people the way they are (not saying it was the case with this guy that yapped at you but sometimes we don't know all the story).

Case in point, in the summer of 1996, I "scooped" my like new Citori Grade I Trap from a guy at our small club.

I wanted an change of pace on a nice day, a week after I picked up the Citori, so I took the 1 hour drive to one of the largest clubs in the country, I have been there numerous times and like to shoot there. It was Wednesday, which I had off that week, that day is frequented by the retirees.

It was very slow there that day and I thought I'd have to shoot by myself.

I went out to the practice trap field which was empty except for was one, sour looking older man, holding a quite new BT99; I thought "Oh yeah, here's ONE ".

I overcame my initial reserve and asked if he wanted someone to shoot with and he agreed quietly, he seemed dull and grumpy.

We finished the round, I "ran them" he shot a 22 or 23.

It was noon and he surprised me by suggesting we go to the club cafeteria for lunch.

On the way there he said, "Well, the doc says I've got about 6 months....cancer; so I treated myself to a new gun and I'm going to shoot as long as I can". I was taken back and realized why he seemed a bit dull and grumpy .

We talked shooting over lunch and he brightened up, I never saw him again and I hope he had a good season.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
As far as "snobs" go;

There was a club in this area where they used to actually say to new shooters; "If you want to learn to shoot, go somewhere else" iand this was a skeet club.

This is too bad because it was the only skeet club in the area. It closed down because they did not own their whole shotfall zone and someone complained.

We have recruited some people for our trap club that went there for their first (and last time), they like our club because we treat them well.

Have spent a lot of time at trap and skeet clubs over the past 37 years, it has been my experience that generalities about people in the various clay target sports are not accurate and all of them have their good people and their share of jerks.

I like all the clay target games, given enough time, money and access to them, I would shoot them all.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Spankey,

No, not a PA Hall of Famer. I'm not from PA. You didn't hit a sore spot either. There are several guys on this site like you, always accusing people of being snobs.... kinda silly, don't you think? Your little buddy kgpcr is apparently another one. Ya'll are actually rather insignificant when looking at the big picture because you are thankfully in the minority. The only thing that is bothersome is that other new shooters are given bad info with all of the class envy blather, but time cures that once they are exposed to reality. I hope the both of you enjoy the shooting sports and learn from all shooters instead of being so intimidated. BTW, I am available for clinics, but I doubt that you could benefit from one. I took mine from #1823880 and was fortunate enough to have been able to both shoot and hunt with him before his passing.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Claydust said:
"If you want to learn to shoot, go somewhere else"
I know guys who are like this, I'm sometimes one of them... but it's often justified. With most registered shooters, a squad of 5 can shoot 100 birds in an hour, sometimes less. When new shooters go out, a single round can take them an hour or more... it can be really frustrating to shoot with them.

I usually won't.

Instead, on days when I'm not pressed for time I'll take them out, without bringing my own gun, and give them some basic instruction. It's a lot less anxiety inducing... they can learn at their own pace, and I'm not getting irritated waiting to shoot the next station.

41 - 60 of 111 Posts