Shotgun Forum banner
101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
magoo said:
Well, when shooting some more today. Since nobody was on the wobble, and I suck at skeet I was hanging out at the trap line. Four guys were getting up a squad and asked me to be the fifth. Sure! I came here to shoot! Welll, ol' "shoots with stick up butt" wouldn't shoot with a 'newby' and sat it out, still a 4 man squad. The crunt wouldn't even score for us. Well I came out hot and outshot the established shooters that he had planned to shoot with till the newby came around. This with my SxS so unsuited for trap. I hope I pithed him off even more. There's gotta be one at every club huh?
Sweet! I love hearing stories like this. :D

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Fortunately for me, I've gotten myself well-known by the main Skeet and Trap instructors at our range, and both have good things to say about me. They pretty much know every regular at our range, so by process of association I have a good reputation for a greenhorn.

The trap group seems to be a tighter group, or maybe it's just because you have a lot more regulars in it, whereas the skeet shooters get a lot of once-a-month-maybe people in the squads.

Cameron

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I don't understand the attitude. Bad shooting isn't contagious. It shouldn't be unless, subconsciously, you start copying someones bad habits. Plus I probably have safer gun handling habits than anyone on the line. Some think it's OK to have the muzzle point at someone if the gun is broke-open. SORRY! not in my book.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Stories are so easy to invent.

That said, there are some folks who I try not to shoot with. I don't like shooting next to someone without a shell catcher on his automatic. I don't like shooting next to a talker. I don't like to shoot next to someone who can't stand still, or wears no vest/pouch and is therefore fumbling around for shells in different pockets and/or out of the box on the ground... and as a result, the muzzle is waving all over the place. I think all shooters should have to take a learn to shoot class to include basic saftey and shooter etiquette before "joining a squad".

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I don't like shooting next to someone without a shell catcher on his automatic. I don't like shooting next to a talker.
Yeah, being pelted by brass is no fun. Try shooting for qualification in CMP with hot -06 brass falling into your shirt collar :shock: Fortunately our trap line is voice activated and you cannot talk or you get false 'pulls'. If someone is holding up the squad from fidgeting for ammo, it is certainly polite enough to point out they're holding up the line, get a pouch. It will actually help them shoot, with less distraction too, is a positive spin to give them.

·
Registered
20,837 Posts
magoo said:
Some think it's OK to have the muzzle point at someone if the gun is broke-open. SORRY! not in my book.
You are correct and this is completely unacceptable. Actually this is probably the result of either arrogance or not being taken under someone's wing when new.

This is exactly why new shooters are improtant to me. A safe range is a fun range. The range should be a safe haven of comraderie. Where else can you go where you find $100K worth of hardware sitting on a rack and have assurity that no one will mess with it?

·
Registered
68 Posts
SS said:
Stories are so easy to invent.

That said, there are some folks who I try not to shoot with. I don't like shooting next to someone without a shell catcher on his automatic....
I can relate to that one. After getting my new 1100CT, I was very aware of the ejected shells, even though that model tends to aim them toward the ground. I added a Birchwood Casey shell catcher which makes me more comfortable shooting next to the "experienced" bunch, plus it makes hull retrieval a snap.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
MRPOWER said:
Attitude may be one element, as may be the expectation of shooting for fun and relaxation. Competitive shooting is not about fun or relaxation, and thus by necessity, neither is training for competition. It's hard work. Serious work. It's inconsiderate of a shooter looking for fun and relaxation to seek to impose it on those who are there to take care of business.
It's a two way street. Imposing it's work and not fun on a shooter out to enjoy themselves is equally inconsiderate. By all means squad up with shooters with the same goal, but when shooting a mixed squad go with the flow. Shooting should be fun; and shooting with a group that's a bit noisy can be great practice at shutting out distractions . Cough....cough....cough

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Rastoff said:
magoo said:
Some think it's OK to have the muzzle point at someone if the gun is broke-open. SORRY! not in my book.
You are correct and this is completely unacceptable. Actually this is probably the result of either arrogance or not being taken under someone's wing when new.

This is exactly why new shooters are improtant to me. A safe range is a fun range. The range should be a safe haven of comraderie. Where else can you go where you find $100K worth of hardware sitting on a rack and have assurity that no one will mess with it?
And where most of the owners of said hardware will let you fondle said hardware and many times even click off a couple of rounds with it?

That's what I'm talking about. I was addicted to skeet from the first H1, but it went terminal when a fellow shooter let me use his super scroll K80 to shoot a couple of 410 practice rounds before I got my tube gun.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Bad shooting isn't contagious. It shouldn't be unless, subconsciously, you start copying someones bad habits

Bad shooting is contagius, especially when on a very good (AA or AAA) squad missing is very contagius. One person misses, and then so do the next five. It's kind of like in baseball when your on a rally, everyone hits well until one person strikes out and then it's downhill from there. When the person in front of you is a good shot and misses it makes you put doubt in yourself. You're thinking "if he can miss, so can I" then you miss.[/quote]

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I had empty hulls pelting my left foot and leg last time out. The guy rented a Beretta 391 by the looks of it, but it didn't bother me. I shot my best score to date, a 22, so maybe being pelted helps me? :?

The only time autoloaders bother me is when a shooter is not closing his bolt on someone's report, or if they don't use their right hand to "ride the bolt" closed.

I have a pump now for Trap so it is not an issue, but the couple of rounds of Trap I shot w/ my Browning Gold I just closed the bolt on the report of the guy to my left. I made sure to shoot on squads of 4 or less, and to take the last station so there was a gap to my right. But I've also been told that I'm the kind of shooter people like shooting with.

Cameron

101 - 111 of 111 Posts