Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The number of registered shooters are declining at our club. I would like to find out if this is local or systemic issue.

If you have ever shot registered targets please let me know why you stopped.

If you have never shot registered targets please tell me why not?

Thanks to all in advanced.

·
Premium Member
19,997 Posts
I've never shot registered skeet targets because it just doesn't interest me enough to do so. I enjoy shooting a few rounds of skeet with good shooters who shoot and move along at a good pace. I think the game of Skeet is good practice for certain type shots, but it is too limited in shot variety to interest me enough to want to compete in it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
For me shootin reg targets became more of like second job, with obligations and comitments to the sport, the fun was gone and stress was rising. Gave up listin to all the bi*tchin and complaining, for pactice target prices and shootin with the weekend goodtimers. life is much better now 8)
Scott

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I don't because I can't afford it, or at least it is not a priority. It is a 75 mile drive to my nearest club, so just going to shoot a few rounds every week is a fairly large commitment. I suspect those that can afford it, find sporting clays to be an interesting alternative.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I shot some registered targets for several years back in the early 70s at the local gun club and some nearby shoots.

In those days I could barely afford to shoot at the local club at $2.50 a round because I was a member.

One wealthy member would tell you in a heartbeat that he spent an average of $30,000 a year making the rounds of the tournaments.

He was actually a pretty good old boy and I never doubted he spent every dime of that.

I hadn't been shooting Skeet long then, never really got much above D Class and just didn't envision much of the tournament stuff in my future.

And I still don't. I hate bureaucracy and there seems to be a lot of it involved in registered Skeet.

Besides, where I live now I'd have to travel a good way just to get to a registered shoot.

I'm pretty sure I could easily be a AA shooter now, but what would that get me?

I'm not likely ever to compete with the likes of Bender and Mayes, so why waste money on ego trips beating a bunch of nobodies?

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
There's no registered targets around here, I do shoot a warmup on the skeetfield before doing anything else---or maybe more if we are having a good time. But, there is no Sporting here either, and the same distance to registered skeet-----over 300 miles, if I am going to drive that far I am going to have some fun with every target presentation the setter can think up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love shooting. I have lots of fun when I go out. I have never shot registered for a couple of reasons. 1. No one I know that does shoot registered has ever bothered to ask me to shoot in a registered shoot or taken the time to help me get started. I average 20-23/25. 2. Many of the people I know that shoot registered shoots have a tough time shooting a round just for fun. They tend to critique too much and belittle when someone that is just out for fun out-shoots. Takes the fun out of being on the range.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
To expensive to compete on the level that I would like to compete at. For me it would be all or nothing.

I don't think I would have as much fun as I do now either.

I also spend to much money now just shooting for fun. :wink:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am not sure that the value proposition holds up. We purchased the national and state association memberships to enable our daughter to shoot in a recognized torunament.

It was a great shoot and worth the surcharge to shoot "unclassified". But classification will not happen this year due to absense of registered targets locally and going to school in a Trap area.

We have renewed her national and state--it is a badge of honor for her. I cannot see what it gets me--we shoot a lot of informal skeet and sporting clays. It is fun and don't see the additional benefit derived from purchasing NSCA and NSSA memberships as well as state memberships...Maybe someone can help me understand what I a missing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree with Shotgun scott
In the70's I shot on a 5 man team and it became a second job.I practiced 3 nights a week just to shoot on the weekend. The travel was a chore too.
At 69yrs.old I could not take the amount of shooting it takes to stay sharp.
I now just shoot in a club league and a travel league that stays within a 40 mile range.
My hats off to the guys who put the time and travel into shooting registered targets.

George 08808

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I'm NOT a registered Skeet or any thing else shooter. Not that I've not been hounded to death about it! :roll: Where I shoot they do shoot registered Trap and Skeet and I suspect Sporting Clays too, I'm just not interested in the beurocracy involved. I don't understand why some of you folks think that you have to go practice every night of the week and go to every registered shoot in the western hemisphere just because you are "registered", you don't have to, but at least you can if you want to! I suspect if I were to become a registered anything it would be Skeet. I shoot Trap and Sporting too, but have developed a fondness for small gauge Skeet shooting. I shoot with a lot of guys who are registered Skeet shooters, so I suppose that's why the hounding. I really don't have the time for any organized shooting diciplines and like many others do it for fun. I really doubt I'd have any less fun shooting registered either, I just don't take anything quite that seriously anymore. I've walked, rather ran, past way too many roses in my life's journey up till now, I'm making efforts to change that, and shooting Skeet just because I like to with good friends is one way I do that! Maybe I'll join and become registered this year, and maybe not! Either way, I'll continue to have fun at it and win or loose try not to be too serious or an *** on the range. I've heard stories from pullers at Registered Skeet events about those Asses who think they are the center of the universe and life it's self depends on their winning at all costs! Personaly, I don't like being arround people like that! IF that's registered, count me OUT!

BP

·
Registered
66 Posts
I suspect it would be the same for golf as in skeet. Most folks just like to go and hit/shoot for fun and don't care about handicap (aka - registered). But, playing both sports I see the merit in keeping a handicap for golf or "registering" for skeet.
For golf, it's nice to know you can confidently go to a local tournament and hand them your card (if required) and play against your peers, even if they are better according to your "handicap". About two dozen of us have an every Friday afternoon golf outing where we record "points" and at some point, even the fair golfers can place first by playing better than their points and take some decent money. Not everyone plays every Friday, but usually 8-12 show up, kick in $20 a piece and it's a great time.
Now, I've never "registered" for or competed in skeet, but would like to know where I stand should the desire arise. Long-time skeeter's tell me I'm good enough to. Is it worth the price of admission? That's my call, but it's probably less than $100/yr for NSSA and state dues. So I'm planning on joining.
There are stuffy golfers and stuffy skeet shooters (as mentioned). Go out, take your clubs or your guns and have a good time. Skeet, like golf, is an INDIVIDUAL sport. It's not you against ANYBODY - it's you, your gun and your mind against the clay.
Let's play.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Kensington said:
Or perhaps Case, a bunch of those nobodys would beat you.
I occasionally shoot on a regulation Skeet range with a bunch of "nobodies" and nobody there has managed to beat me yet.

And at their rate of improvement it's not likely to happen anytime soon, but I wish it would.

So far as competition goes, it gets a bit boring knowing with almost dead certainty from the outset that no one else is likely to break more than 95 with a 12 gauge when I can do that with a .410.

I figure that's about the average for the average small gun club gathering.

It's too far to drive to a larger one, where it would cost more and I might get beat by some other nobodies.

If I don't stand a chance of beating Todd Bender or Wayne Mayes anyway, which I don't, I'd just as soon save the money and remain the big frog in the dinky puddle.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I shot registered skeet for about a decade starting in 1957 or 58 while I was in the Air Force. I took up clay target shooting to replace my first loves, dove and quail hunting. When I returned to the states after a three year tour in SE Asia I found more hunting and fishing oportunities and skeet shooting sort of faded out. However I returned to skeet shooting recently and intend to shoot at some of the smaller registered events in the local area in 2006. I have no interest on the big shoots that last two or more days. Just can't afford it although being retired I could find the time. One of the things that has changed since by first decade of skeet is the emphasis on money or purses. Skeet was most popular when prize money was not part of the game.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Burnt Powder said:
I'm NOT a registered Skeet or any thing else shooter. Not that I've not been hounded to death about it! :roll: Where I shoot they do shoot registered Trap and Skeet and I suspect Sporting Clays too, I'm just not interested in the beurocracy involved. I don't understand why some of you folks think that you have to go practice every night of the week and go to every registered shoot in the western hemisphere just because you are "registered", you don't have to, but at least you can if you want to! I suspect if I were to become a registered anything it would be Skeet. I shoot Trap and Sporting too, but have developed a fondness for small gauge Skeet shooting. I shoot with a lot of guys who are registered Skeet shooters, so I suppose that's why the hounding. I really don't have the time for any organized shooting diciplines and like many others do it for fun. I really doubt I'd have any less fun shooting registered either, I just don't take anything quite that seriously anymore. I've walked, rather ran, past way too many roses in my life's journey up till now, I'm making efforts to change that, and shooting Skeet just because I like to with good friends is one way I do that! Maybe I'll join and become registered this year, and maybe not! Either way, I'll continue to have fun at it and win or loose try not to be too serious or an *** on the range. I've heard stories from pullers at Registered Skeet events about those Asses who think they are the center of the universe and life it's self depends on their winning at all costs! Personaly, I don't like being arround people like that! IF that's registered, count me OUT!

BP
Well said, :!: BP

·
Registered
828 Posts
Case said:
Kensington said:
Or perhaps Case, a bunch of those nobodys would beat you.
I occasionally shoot on a regulation Skeet range with a bunch of "nobodies" and nobody there has managed to beat me yet.

And at their rate of improvement it's not likely to happen anytime soon, but I wish it would.

So far as competition goes, it gets a bit boring knowing with almost dead certainty from the outset that no one else is likely to break more than 95 with a 12 gauge when I can do that with a .410.

I figure that's about the average for the average small gun club gathering.

It's too far to drive to a larger one, where it would cost more and I might get beat by some other nobodies.

If I don't stand a chance of beating Todd Bender or Wayne Mayes anyway, which I don't, I'd just as soon save the money and remain the big frog in the dinky puddle.
Case, I may not be able to out shot you, and I'll put up one good fight, But I can garrentee you it will a good time had. And thats the important thing to me. :wink:
Scott

·
Registered
9 Posts
New member here, I usually just lurk.

My buddys an I were talking about this yeserday. All have quit registerd shooting ecept one. Some thought that skeet was like a marthon to qualify for a 100yd dash. You have to shoot some targets that are a waste of shot and powder, my girl friend can hit them. Everyone hated the idea that you have to be purfect to win.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I don't shoot registered skeet because I just don't have and don't want to invest the time into it. I shoot registered sporting and between the high cost of that in time and $ I don't want to take on another registered shooting hobby. I do enjoy shooting skeet on the weekdays and weekends but I will take registered sporting over skeet any day. I don't feel the need to be perfect at skeet but it is a result of being well prepared. The same holds true with Sporting, few 100's are shot but the winner is the one who makes the fewest mistakes, winning scores are the result. Wether it is a 95 in sporting or a 100 straight plus shootoff's in skeet. In addition I don't feel the need to travel to see the same targets I can see here but going to different SC clubs enables me to see different terrain and target setters targets. But having said all that I would shoot registered skeet too if time and money were unlimited. If I go to big shoot and I don't win in my class it really isn't the other guy that beat me I really beat myself. The same holds true elsewhere. Now Make-a-Break, that's a little different. :roll:

Bryan

1 - 20 of 77 Posts