Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the responses on my previous thread got me wondering......why is a 32" or 34" barrel better than a 30"?

As I said before, I've always shot 28" barrels at skeet, and when I picked up the Browning Citori 625 Sporting with 30" barrels and ext. chokes it feels great! But what exactly is the advantage of another 2"?

In looking for hard cases, it appears a 30" barrel with ext. chokes will fit most takedown's, but a 32" with ext chokes won't. So, convince me why I should give the 32" more consideration........And FTR, when I hold them and swing them, I can't tell much difference.

Thanks,

TBS

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Shoot one and you'll find out if you like it.

Clay targets are decelerating. Longer barrels allow relatively effortless swing, where you can just let them follow the target. You get them moving, and they tend to swing right.

You can force any barrel into any sort of motion. It's just easier when you don't have to.

Note that Todd Bender shoots Skeet with 32" barrels now. There's a reason. He worked his way from 26" to 28" to 30" and then settled on 32".

Now a 32" barrel set on a pig like an old Japanese Browning will probably feel like crap. The things were just too heavy to make them so long. The new barrels, including the ones on the 625, are a lot lighter, per inch. It turns out that a well-balanced gun can be made with longer barrels, and hit a "sweet spot" of swing characteristics. I really like the 32" 682 I use for Sporting Clays and occasionally for Skeet, even though my field guns' barrels range from 25" to 28", and I use 28" for Skeet as well. Farther up the price scale, you can get a heavy, low-felt-recoil gun with similar balance, also.

Not everyone likes 32" barrels. However, I would not buy a gun if I had never tried them. Try some modern 32" guns first. If you still want a 30", buy one, knowing that it probably won't have the resale value of a 32" gun. That's why you need to decide before buying.

I can't tell much difference.
Like other small differences, that little bit, ON TARGETS, can matter. It's hard to tell at the store. :)

·
Registered
I lost them all in a boating accident.
18,013 Posts
BarryD said:
Like other small differences, that little bit, ON TARGETS, can matter
... or not.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Was trying really hard to help you but Barry D summed it up nicely. Upper body strength plays a role as well though. Todd and I are similar in size and i find the 32" BBLs easy to move for me as well. So only if you can shoot them will they help make you execute better. A 4" jump is significant. And you should really asses your shooting. Executing is the key to shooting and 32" BBLS may hamper you as an individual in that execution of some shots. And like Barry said. The fad is 32" or better now. For me I feel I'm right on top of targets in skeet and following through is so much smoother with the 32". Yet I've shot similar scores with 30" BBLS.The 32's just have the it factor for me.

BHN

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
My "old Jap Browning" was ordered with 32 when they were first being introduced, (along with ported barrels). Is the gun heavy? Not to me - I can swing faster on most targets than anyone I shoot with - 15+ years of using the gun I am sure helped.

Would a perfectly balanced P gun feel better? Most likely yes.

To the OP - longer barrels help you keep a smooth swing on the slower US target games. What feels right to YOU is what counts, not what anyone here says - try all the lengths and decide from there

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
A 30" barrel IS long enough. Is it long enough to be optimum for you....?

A good way to see the advantage of longer barrels would be to compare them side by side with some very short ones. Picking each one up and pointing them at some object. The enormous difference you'll notice is how much closer to the target the long barrels appear. They reach up into the sight picture much further than short barrels and seem to "nest" right with the target. What this does is make for a greater degree of precision in your barrel target relationship.

Forward weight helps smooth swing....barrel length has nothing to do with smoothing a swing unless it adds weight. As barrels can be had both light and long presumably you've picked the right one allowing us to speak to the OP's question about length.

Bob

·
Registered
392 Posts
Let me piggyback oneounceload. Like he said he can swing those 32"'s on his gun you may not be able to like Barry, myself, and others. As with all advice on here you get what works for us as a starting point only. No one should take anything as Gospel just real world expeirences of those posting to your question. And most international target guns are around 29.5, to 30". Perazzi could make a very well balanced 32" gun but the choice for the majority of INT. shooters is the shorter BBL set. I'm considering a Perazzi myself just trying to justify the need for another clay gun. It has two BBLS 30" and 28.5".

Good Luck
BHN

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
By "old Japanese Browning" I was referring to the guns from the era when the OP bought his Skeet gun. Porting? Browning didn't do that, back then. Sporting Clays? There was no such thing. The 30" guns were really barrel-heavy.

Someone whose familiarity with target guns goes back that far would probably have a hard time imagining why anyone would want a 32" barrel set.:)

I think he owes it to himself to find out why so many people now do, before dropping a lot of cash.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I spent the entire lunch hour at the local gun shop talking with a shooting instructer and gunsmith. Its was their mutual opinion that a man my age and size should be shooting a 32" barreled gun for sporting clays. They also agreed after watching me handle the Citori 625 Sport that it was a good fit for me.

We went out and I shot several stations with both the 30" and 32" 625's and I honestly can't tell much difference, but the 32" seems a bit more balanced and the 30" a bit more rear heavy. I'm certain I could get used to either.

Both guns broke targets, the price is the same, so I told myself why not?

The weather is looking dim, but hopefully I can get out to shoot the new 32" Citori this weekend!

Thanks for the advice, its is appreciated.

TBS

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
"so I told myself why not?"

:lol: That's what I'm always telling myself, too. I look it as my being a one-man force helping drive the recovery.

I'll get back in the swing of things as soon as pay the co-pays from the recent bout with pneumonia, plus a separate ER trip from, wait for it ... a knock on the head. Really.

Was is Chaucer who wrote, "April is the cruelest month"?

Added: Nope. T.S. Eliot in "The Wasteland." But it looks like his inspiration was the prologue from Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.