1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comment
Psydd
(9/17/02 2:52:05 pm)
Reply Why rattling Mossbergs may be a good thing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mossbergs feel loose because they are built loose. They share this trait with one other famous gun, the AK-47 and its derivatives. Looser tolerances allow the AK to operate in any conditions, and they were designed that way. Maybe this is what helped the Mossberg pass mil-spec testing like a previous post pointed out. Sure, a Ferrari or Bentley runs real nice, but a Jeep can go anywhere anytime.

bustabuck
Shotgun Expert
(9/17/02 3:21:00 pm)
Reply maybe, but.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You've also got to consider that most everything the government buys was also built by the lowest bidder!

Psydd
(9/17/02 3:57:51 pm)
Reply Re: Why rattling Mossbergs may be a good thing.
But if a thousand dollars for a hammer and 50 bucks for socks is the lowest bidder, then what?

Rick618
Shotgun Expert
(9/17/02 8:51:29 pm)
Reply Still a bottom end pos, in mo
The mossberg will serve the purpose in the same way an H&R will. You get what you pay for, spend time in the shop with them and see why they aint that great.

Shotgunworld
Forum Owner
(9/17/02 9:53:50 pm)
ezSupporter
re: Mossberg Rattle
I checked my 500 and the only thing that rattles is the slide rails against the barrel.
Jay G.

pumper
(9/17/02 10:43:44 pm)
Reply cheap does not mean crap
Remington 870s did not pass the mil-spec test, neither did any other popular american pump. I have a Wingmaster and a 500, and I prefer the 500. It points better in my hands and has not failed me. You just have to realize this is a gun of a different ilk. It is kinda clunky and loose, but it shoots every time. With equal upkeep, the Moss will last as long as any other gun, and without upkeep, it will be the last one shooting.

RemingtonII
Frequent SW Visitor
(9/18/02 6:39:38 am)
Reply Shake Rattle and Roll
Just a note that current production Mossbergs feature a spring-loaded lever that takes the rattle out of the forearm. You can send you gun back to Mossberg for repair or replacement of this feature, if your gun rattles.

If you buy the book, GUNSMITHING: SHOTGUNS you can fix it yourself, and it seems pretty simple.

Recently, I have read two gunsmithing books, and they both have high regards for Mossberg 500 shotguns for price and durability.

cD Tanthalas
Shotgun Expert
(9/18/02 9:21:32 am)
Re: Shake Rattle and Roll
another thing to note is that Mossbergs are easy to repair and the parts very in-expensive which bodes well for military use

casual shooter
(9/18/02 2:04:20 pm)
Reply Re: Why rattling Mossbergs may be a good thing.
"But if a thousand dollars for a hammer and 50 bucks for socks is the lowest bidder, then what? "

Then it's time to go into the socks and hammer business!

First you sell the socks to the Army for a huge mark-up. Then down the road you sell them to girls that think they are a fashion statement. It's a win-win situation!

TheLibertarian
Frequent SW Visitor
(9/18/02 9:59:37 pm)
Reply 590 beat down stick
I used to think Moss was pos, untill i shot a few new ones. I don't give a **** what you remington snobs think ;P, the new mossbergs are a shottie to be reckoned with. In fact, I have handled 870's and 1300's, both of them are tough, look good, and shoot good. But god damn, when i went to the local "good guns" shop and got my hands on a pistol grip buttstock 590 with ghost ring sites... Hell, i didn't even feel like I had to shoot someone to kill them with it. Talk about one heavy barrel, tough built, ready to cave heads in, beat down, boom stick. My brother was in the marines, and he told me point men still prefer the 590 over the new semi auto HK's the corps just bought.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.