Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Rem. 870 pump with magnum reciver and smooth bore slug barrel. Can I put 3 1/2 in steel loads into this gun? I was Goose hunting and could not get high enough with 3" steel? :cry:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
there are 2 kinds of magnums, 3 inch and 3.5 inch magnums. The barrel will say if it is for the long or short magnum. the reciever will say it as well. I would think the longer shells might not feed out of the magazine well in a 3 inch only 870.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks the Rem. website confirms there is a NEW SUPER MAGNUM 870. I want to keep my current 870 but I do a lot of goose hunting can I put a new reciver and barrel on my current 870 short magnum? :?:

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I was Goose hunting and could not get high enough with 3" steel?
Do one of two things:

Either learn to call and bring the birds in closer...

Or go with better ammo than steel such as Hevi-Shot, Kent Tungsten Matrix, or Bismuth...

Any of these will be better (and cheaper) than changing your gun or continueing to shoot steel...

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
shortlid said:
Thanks the Rem. website confirms there is a NEW SUPER MAGNUM 870. I want to keep my current 870 but I do a lot of goose hunting can I put a new reciver and barrel on my current 870 short magnum? :?:
NO :!: You will need to buy a new gun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Salmoneye said:
Do one of two things:

Or go with better ammo than steel such as Hevi-Shot, Kent Tungsten Matrix, or Bismuth...

Any of these will be better (and cheaper) than changing your gun or continueing to shoot steel...
had TWO guys calling and they are both VERY good!! The birds were just to shot at to get much closer. When we tried they just droped there wings and landed about 50 yards up from us! :roll:

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
shortlid said:
Salmoneye said:
Do one of two things:

had TWO guys calling and they are both VERY good!! The birds were just to shot at to get much closer. When we tried they just droped there wings and landed about 50 feet up from us! :roll:
Well, then, why are you worrying about a gun that can shoot farther?

First of all, do you have the skill to shoot at birds past 40 yards and reliably KILL? I doubt it, as most of us can't.

Second, this is hunting, not killing. So may as well accept the fact that despite doing everything right, sometimes the birds will win.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yeah that would be nice huh? :lol:I know how you feel. As was already said, sometimes the birds win. In my case they win more. That's why I try to learn all I can. Calling, decoying, flagging, and being in the right places. School's in man. :wink:................... Nothing wrong with a 3 1/2" gun as long as you know what it's capable of. Don't use a 3 1/2" as a reason just to shoot farther without having to learn anything. It's not a magic pill.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
Remington Express - 2 3/4" Chamber
Remington Express Magnum - 3" Chamber
Remington Express Super Magnum - 3 1/2" Chamber

·
Registered
959 Posts
shortlid said:
can I put a new reciver and barrel on my current 870 short magnum? :?:
you can do that, but, uh... once you swap out the gun and the barrel you don't have anything left, except the parts left over to rebuild your second gun, hahah

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
You must learn to call,set decoys and shoot before you can expect to bring home birds. Let those things become the important issues in your waterfowling day and the harvest will follow.

I shoot hundreds of geese and ducks each season.Most of these waterfowl are taken with 2 3/4" ammunition but I often return home with nothing. It is an important part of the sport. If you expect to kill geese every time out,you need to take up golf or some other pastime.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
had TWO guys calling and they are both VERY good!! The birds were just to shot at to get much closer. When we tried they just droped there wings and landed about 50 feet up from us!
50 feet?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Salmoneye said:
had TWO guys calling and they are both VERY good!! The birds were just to shot at to get much closer. When we tried they just droped there wings and landed about 50 feet up from us!
50 feet?
We were hidding in heavy swamp (ie tree) cover. Only had 40 degree swing either way over the fly way. :roll:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A5guy said:
You must learn to call,set decoys and shoot.
We each shot 87 out of 100 clays with the guns were were using the day before we went out. It is our tradition, shoot a good clay day before teh hunt or no gun the next moring! :wink:

Two guys calling that watch vedios on calling the night before a hunt. They are also the guys that set the decos and do flaging. :D

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
They landed 50 feet from you and you think that a longer shell is going to help?

Are you sure you mean 50 'feet' and not 'yards'???

I must be missing something here...I stand by my first recommendations...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry I do mean 50 yards. They came over us high then droped there wings and landed above up in the swap. :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
A 3.5" shell will only hold more shot, not shoot farther . Many time sthe velocity is reduced from carrying the heavier payload of shot. More game is wounded from thos ewho believe that they can now kill at 80 yards,etc. The suggestion of hevi-shot is a good one as it holds a tighter pattern than lead and you can use a size or two smaller shot and carry the same knockdown power as larger sized lead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts