Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a model 12 and 97 and both are not quite tight at the take down. I have not started to make an adjustment. My question is the adjustment position on these barrels still at the factory setting or have they been tightened up previously. I just want to know where I would be starting from.

Model 12

Model 97

Both have just a slight wiggle when together. I've read that if properly adjusted you should be able to feel no movement when these are together and shooting them while loose will not do the shotgun any good. Any advise will be welcome.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
The Model 12 looks like it has been adjusted one notch. Remove the screw entirely, slide the notch retainer just out of the notch and rotate the collar counterclockwise one notch at a time and reinstall the retainer and screw until the gun shows no movement. Do not overadjust, just enough to eliminate all movement when everything is together. I can't tell where the 97 notches are, but the adjustment is done the same way, only the screw and notch retainer work a bit differently. I don't think the 97 screw has to be entirely removed to slide the notch retainer out of the notch.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello Basil: Any open teeth above the lock, (towards the barrel) will tell you that it's been adjusted before. the open teeth below the lock, (the receiver extention hole where the mag tube comes through) tells you how much adjustment is left to use.

The 97 is getting towards the end if I see it correctly in your picture.

Adjusting sleeves for the Md 12, you have the original ones that came on the gun they are unmarked, replacement adjusting sleeves are numbered 1,2,3,4,5,and 6. The 97 uses letters, replacemnt adjusting sleeves are letterd A,B, and C.

Yes the adjusting sleeves are interchangeable. Meaning you can use a Md 12 sleeve on a 97 and vice versa.

While the "take down" feature is nice. It's the repeated taking the gun down and reassembly that causes the wear. On my field guns, they only get broken down once a year, unless the gun gets extremely wet. Range guns, depending on how much I shoot them but about every 2000-4000 rounds.

Regards Dave

·
Registered
903 Posts
Simple explanation and picture verification.
When the adjustment is new, the notches are all on the side facing the threads.

When the adjustment is totally used, the adjustment lock is in the middle of the threaded area.

Here is a comprehensive discussion about adjusting sleeves in general and the quality and fit issues that can be present. Remember this, Dave?
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... ht=#877700

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is the critical info.
I've been cleaning up my grandfather's old gun and was wondering what that screw and pawl were for.
After spending some time on various sites and finding out what the adjustment sleeve was for, I looked closer and there is a tiny wiggle to the barrel!
So I broke it down and looked at the sleeve and the pawl, or lock, was way out away from the threads.
I was worried that this was not good, but this thread says otherwise; in fact, it looks like it's never been adjusted.
Often, a picture is worth quite a number of words.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I adjusted the sleeve one notch and there was considerable improvement. Previously, I could see movement at the takedown connection. Afterwards, I could not see movement but I could still feel a slight bit when holding the end of the barrel and the receiver. I moved the sleeve another notch and cannot discern any difference. A minute wiggle remains.
I think I'll take it to a pro at this point.
BTW, 97 #509373 1911

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.