Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a used 101 (single barrel only) with some minor nicks and minor pitting. The gun seems to lock up tight and the bore looks okay. I dont mind appearance but Im wondering if there is a potential problem I may be overlooking? It seems like a good deal for a used 101, but I havent bought many used guns. Thanks for your suggestions and help in advance.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Shoot it first-- most find the recoil on the 101 to be unbearable, hence why there are so many on the market at such bargain basement prices.

Very hard to sell used, getting hard to find parts for... if it were *my* choice I wouldn't do it...

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
drsfmd offers good advice. 101s are relatively light guns and their stock dimensions create some fit issues, their pitch being a common one.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The 2 previous poster are correct to a point, but if that 101 has a monte Carlo stock and you are 5' 9" and weigh 180 #'s it will fit you well and the recoil is not an issue. But if it is the sloping stock you will need to chage the cast on the butt plate. I have shot both types of stocks and the Monte Carlo stock with the parrelel comb, is nice to shoot. If you don't want it I have a trap shooting buddy that may want it. If you have any questions pm me or you could pm Maltz also, he has a friend on his squad that shoots one, his is a O/U. I really like mine and shoot it good.
DD
By the way, you need to ditch the factory pad and put on a Simms pad, makes a world of difference, the factory pads are similar on comfort to a 2" x 4". Jim Tyner shoots a 101 also or has, pm him too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.