Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey... im new to shotgunworld. Ok i just bought a model 1300 Defender 8-shot i got the pistol grip and full stock combo. Well my question is i see alot of talk about the Mossberg and the Remington as Tactical Shotguns but not much talk about the Winchester any ideas why ??? Does anybody have the full pistol grip stock on theirs if so how do you feel about it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Winchester 1300 Defender is a great shotgun for the money. It's not quite as smooth as the more expensive Mossberg 590 or Remington 870 Police, but it is a very good value. The aftermarket doesn't seem to support the Win 1300 Defender as well as the others. (Including ourselves, but that will soon change!).All in all, you have a great shotgun and probably paid half of what the more popular guns cost. Shoot it, enjoy it!I have shot the pistol/stock combo on a Benelli M1. I really didn't like how heavier loads beat up my wrist. For me, the standard stock is the way to go on any shotgun, but that's just my personal preference, YMMV.-Kevin Smithwww.sidearmor.net

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sidearmor ... I appreciate your input. I would recommend the Winchester to anybody as of now so far no complaints. As far as the pistol/stock combo i might pick one up this weekend at the gun show cause i think they are pretty inexpensive. I'll post my opinion of it then. Later

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sir, If I may? I have a full pistol grip stock for my ole Win. 1200. Sidearmor is right about length of pull with the trigger in cheap ones. If you have small hands this is even more of a hassle. As of defense with the Winnies, You have a good buy. I'll try to find the web address for the stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cassius.... I did not find a stock at the gun show i went to this past weekend. I am still looking so any site you might recommend i'll check em out. I would also rather have a good quality part I will stay away from the el-cheepo. THANKS

·
Registered
182 Posts
Try checkin out this site: www.atigunstocks.comThey have quite a few aftermarket parts for the Win 1300. Now you can't buy straight through them, and I wouldn't recommend it if you could. Their MSRP is high. If you do a search on www.google.com for the Manufacturer and part name you'll find a dacentprice for the same part from a retailer.....Hope that helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking at getting a Defender in a couple of days myself,what do you think of the action, and the patterning of the shot in general? Have you had a chance to fire slugs through it? If so, how were your groups?Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a defender... I love it. I have not shot other shotguns though so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I think it's a great gun. I shot my defender for the first time the other day at an outdoor shooting range. I shot birdshot, 00 buck and rifled slugs. It performed very well. I'm in the process of turning it into a tactical shotgun. I just ordered a pistol grip forend and a buttstock & pistol grip combination.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got a winchester defender with a 20" barrle a little while back. Now i've had the barrel threaded and installed a full choke. i've also installed a ati over the top folder with a side saddle. Last night I added a surefire 636 tactical light system. It has a tac-star forend along with the tac-star magazine extension. I love this gun! its the newest member to my collection and its a blast. Took it to the range and set up several targets and ventilate them out to 40 yards with 00. to think i only payed $200 for the base gun i started to work with and its as nice as any other now...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had two of these over the last 20 odd years - and both were crap. They would jam with inexpensive ammo, would not feed or extract low brass shells for skeet & target shooting. The after market parts to modify are scarse.For the money, buy a Reminton 870 or Mossberg 590A1. Guns cause crime, like spoons made Rosie fat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like cassius said I have an "Ol Win1200" but mine is the "riot shotgun" it has a 20" barrel 5 round cap -4 in the tube 1 in the chamber. I removeded the bayonet band assembly and removed the stocks to put on some Tacstar & ATI parts. I'm using the top folding stock, 8 shot extension supported by a mag clamp, forend pistol grips and a tac star light system that uses a pressure sensitive switch. I think it looks pretty mean but fully loaded it's a little heavy :b

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hate to disagree but 1300's are not "crap" in my humble opinion. I ran at least 50 rounds through mine today using different types of ammo from light target loads to slugs without a single malfunction or hiccup WHATSOEVER.I have found that just about every sftermarket part that you could need is available for the 1300. They certainly are not scarce at all.I personally love mine, but this is just ny opinion--Rob

G

·
My 1300 works great for late seasoon snow geese over decoys or jumping them. It holds several rounds and I've even added a mag extension for more shots. Threaded bbl for tubes and shortened stock! Also try sooome minishells(1.5") from Aguila in yours--lotta fun!

G

·
I have a Winchester 1300 defender and want to attach a longer barrel. My shot gun came with a 28" barrel, but I can't seem to make it fit. Does anyone know how to attach the longer barrel?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.