Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
G

·
I just bought one today. I did a lot of research and am extremely happy with the Defender 1300. If the salesperson wants to sell you a Mossberg then ask them to field strip it right in front of you. Take a look at the parts. They're thin and cheap. The Winchester is a great buy.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you have a true 'Defender' model, as opposed to regular 1200/1300 in sporting length, factory magazine tube, etc., then you'll have to change the magazine tube out to one of factory length, which sometimes includes changing the magazine throat, or whatever they call it (two small parts that fit on top and bottom of the base of the tube at the reciever, that the tube screws into. You'll have to do this as barrel retention rings on sporting length barrels are meant for use on a five round mag tube, therefore the barrel mount ring is placed where the conventional five round magazine cap would secure it...not the eight round. It's not awfully complicated or anything, but it will require some parts and about $40, and is not 'intantly' convertible back and forth from sporting to defender configurations. If you want easy versatility with barrel swaps for wingshooting, deer hunting, turkey, and/or home defense, then a standard 1200/1300 with a magazine extension and other accessories deemed necessary is probably the most versatile. True Defender models are meant to stay that way, although the 'Camp Defender' model does go a ways towards more 'sporting' versatility in it's barrel setup for choke tubes, etc...though still short and usually with rifle sights on it. :)

http://www.winchester-guns.com/services ... 0field.pdf

http://www.winchester-guns.com/services ... fender.pdf

FYI: The U.S. Army has used and still uses many, many more Winchester 1200s than it ever has 870s. I had a whole slew of them that I upgraded for Kosovo and the Gulf and infantry cqb that were Vietnam era and still running like a Swiss Watch. Don't believe all the bashing you hear. Even a pump shotgun problem is most likely user related, and the Winchester pump designs have always caused problems with certain individuals with their 'recoil assisted' pump design. Some folks just try to fight it, rather than use it as intended. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey yall, I was just wondering if you can get an aftermarket wood forend and buttstock for a current production 1300 Defender? I like the way the wood stock looks better than the synthetic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Good link, HH. I wasn't aware of those.

Wood stocks can be found for either, all the time on ebay, gun parts retailers, etc. I see lots of cast of wood stocks for 1200/1300s at my local shops....usually cheap. :)

G

·
I've had my 1300 defender for 4 years now. LOVE IT!

It's lighter than the Mossbergs and Remingtons, which comes in handy for hiking or camping.

A word about stocks: I originally bought mine for $200 with a synthetic 'monte carlo' stock. I have since gone through a Butler Creek side folder, a Choate top folder, and have recently come full circle with my Hogue 'monte carlo' over molded stock.

Pistol grips are fine, but I have had quite a few experiences with my setup, so here's my .02 cents: The de-cock lever, located behind and to the left of the trigger guard is difficult to press with a pistol grip. You literally have to take your hand off the grip to de-cock the weapon; not good if you want to keep your gun on target (assuming you didn't bother with a tactical reload before you ran dry). The monte carlo is more natural (to me at least, understanding I'm 6'2") and I can de-cock, manipulate the safety, and reload without taking my gun off target.

As for folding stocks, DO NOT BUY THEM! They don't really save you any space when shooting, as you have to unfold it when firing, which makes it just as long as a regular stocked setup. Also, as the hinge and spring assemblies wear out, they become wobbly (and if you're shooting your Defender in the 100 yard category, that is BAAAAD mojo). All this I learned the hard way.

G

·
Hey guys, I want to get a winchester 1300 defender with the 18" barrel, and I also want the front fore-grip and the back pistol grip w/ the retractable/foldable stock option. I was also wondering if they make such a thing so that you can re-load while firing, kinda like a speed loader, or something so that I do not have to stop firing for long to re-load. I was also wondering about something to dissapate the heat, what my options are. THANKS!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey Mesa, let us know when the low mount becomes available. I want one for my FN Police so I can still use the factory sights.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I can wait, no rush at all.

G

·
Ok I just purchased mine awhile back and its a great gun. Quickly became my favorites. Added a nice lite and loaded it with 4 shot and leave the chamber open. It has a ATI side saddle loaded with some stuff like non lethal loads i can slip in if I feel its what I need. Put a heat shield on it to. It looks terrifying and works great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Newby here,

I have had a 1300 defender for about 12 years now. I have never had issues with it.
I have fired everything I can get a hold of through it, slugs, buck, bird, and target.
It is easy to clean, takes a beating, and feels good.
I personally don't think much of Moss, so I will save you my thoughts on that.
The Win. Isn't as flashy and smooth as some of the other, but it ALWAYS works. ALWAYS.

Brian

·
Registered
42 Posts
i bought one a few years back at a pawn shop. it was practically new, not a scratch on it, barrel didn't have any dust or residue in it. it had an 18" barrel, wood forearm and stock, 7+1 capacity. bought it for $169. i added a red Tru Glo Dot II fiber optic sight and a Tac Star 6 shot side saddle. i also bought some Winchester Law Enforcement Low Recoil 00 Buck Shot for it. i like the placement of Winchester's lock release and safety as opposed to the Remington's lock release and safety.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I love my 1300 defender. ordered it new with both stocks (synthetic pistol grip and stock) works great, easy to clean.
I like the magazine capacity, and its a blast to shoot.

looking forward to installing a side-saddle very soon.

thanks for all the help guy (and gals)

·
Registered
1 Posts
cassius said:
Sir, If I may? I have a full pistol grip stock for my ole Win. 1200. Sidearmor is right about length of pull with the trigger in cheap ones. If you have small hands this is even more of a hassle. As of defense with the Winnies, You have a good buy. I'll try to find the web address for the stock.
I cannot find the model# on my defender, 17" barrel.
I found this on Amazon, I have very small hands. Your opinion or quality and small hand fit:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KOU9HK?smi ... nkCode=asn

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.