Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase my 1st shotgun. The main purpose of this gun will be for small game and birds. My wife doesn't like guns so i have a very small budget round $300. I found a winchester 1300 12ga combo for $225 and would like to know your opinions on this gun.

·
Registered
541 Posts
WOW! sure sounds like a good price is it used or new? Also what is the main use of this gun? I don't own one but I have shot a 1300 with a 28" barrel and it seemed to be a very well built gun. The action was nice and tight and this gun had a few hundred rounds thru it. If the gun fits you good then great. Another few good guns in the $300 and down range are the Mossberg 500 and the Mossy500 combo, the Remingtion 870 and the cheapest is the Mossberg built Maverick 88 which is usually in the $150 range. These are all good guns. I have the Mossy combo which I paid $250 for.Just a few more to consider and try to see if YOU like one more than the other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main use of the gun will prob be rabbit, pheasant, etc. I have looked at all the guns that you mentioned, but i have not shot any of them including the winchester. I am am new to the hunting scene, and could really use any advice you could give me.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well then If you like the 1300 then buy it. Odds are that this will not be your last purchase. It is a great first gun and will be with you for a long time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two days ago went to buy the Winchester 1300 combo for $225, but when i got there they had lost the deer barrel, so they told me they would call around and see if they could get another one for me. Today they called me and said i could either wait 3 months, or i could take half off the gun. So i just picked up a winchester 1300 12ga w/ 26" vent ribbed barrel for $112! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Super deal!....I have a Win 1300 I use for ducks & geese. It's a fast shucking, smooth and reliable pump gun. Nice handling also considering the pipe screwed to a 2x4 feel that you get with pumps and semi autos but no where near the handling dynamics of say a vintage SxS or slender O&U.....I'm sure you'll be pleased for your first gun and when wifey lets you step up to a fine double you can still use the 1300 for the nasty jobs like ducks.....Enjoy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.