Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Shotgun936 - if you do a search on this topic, you will find quite a bit of info already posted on this site. In general, I think most people view the 870 as better than the 1300. That includes form, function, durability, and repairability. There are definitely more 870's out there along with parts. If you're looking at entry level, either one is o.k. with the nod generally going to the 870. I saw a 1300 "delux" at Gander the other day that had a walnut stock/forearm and looked a little more polished than the entry level model. I was $350 - seemed like a pretty good gun for the money. Pick the one you like and that fits you the best. You'll be fine with either.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am in the same boat as you are my friend. I have done alot of research on this topic and from what I have gathered the 870 seems to take the win here. However I have my heart set on a walnut stock with nice blueing on the metal. Really don't think a shotgun should come any other way!! Here the 870 wingmaster is approx $160.00 more than the 1300 walnut/field. I couldn't really tell you if the 870 is worth that extra $160. Seems like alot of money. If you search around you will find not many bad things stated about the 1300 aswell though, it seems to be a good design that has been around for a while. The only reason I can find alot of guys siding with the 870 is its steel reciever versus the aluminum of the 1300. That's a choice you are going to have to make yourself. I dont really know why a steel reciever would be better if an aluminum never rusts and is lighter. Someone else could shed some light on this for you. Cheers, let us know what you decide!!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts

Cons: None in my book. Express and Wingmaster are both great shotguns for a given use. The actions are not as slick as the 1300 from the factory. This is not a con, though. Just the way the gun is. It will slick up with use and care. Some say the Express is prone to rusting easily. Mine isn't. And it's been wet a few times. Can only use Remington threaded choke tubes for bbls with choke tubes.

Pros: Quality shotguns. Especially the older Wingmasters. All steel receiver. Nice bluing on the Wingmaster and with the opportunity to find very nice walnut wood on them. More aftermarket do-dads than the 1300.

Cons: Again, none in my book. Some prefer the steel receiver over the alloy one of the 1300. It's an advantage if you hunt hard weather conditions and in salty enviornments.

Pros: As mentioned, the alloy receiver has a corrosion resistance advantage over the 870. The action, either from the factory, or a worn in slicked-up used one, are by far faster and smoother over the 870. I own both. That's how it is for me and mine. Less costly than the 870. Has aftermarket fodder to add on if you want. Not as much as the 870. Uses Winchester, Mossberg, and Browning Invector (Not Invector-Plus) choke tubes.

If I had to choose one over the other, I'd go with the 870 Wingmaster for looks and clay games. If I had to choose a hunting gun for field use, I'd go with the 1300.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
From what I've read and been told, the alum. receiver is more prone to cracks/fractures vs. the steel receiver. If for field use, with regular field loads - I doubt this would be a problem. If it were for heavy clay games use or lots of mag shotshell shooting, it might be more of an issue.

I really like the wingmasters. They are a very well made gun; nice bluing, and good to very good wood. However, I just looked at a 1300 walnut this a.m. at Gander. At $350, it seems like a really nice gun for the money. The Wingmasters were in the $550 range. The Brwn. BPSs were in the $430-450 range. They are also a high quality gun. If I were going for a functional nice field gun, I'd have a tough time picking between the Brn. and the Win. for the money. Otherwise, I'd look for a used Wingmaster. I've been amazed at low price on some that I've found that are in great conditon.

Just buy one of everything...

·
Registered
311 Posts
the 1300 and 870 are both good shotguns, i prefer the 870. now the reason i prefer the 870 is because i dont like where the safety is located on the 1300.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
bbanbury wrote:

The Brwn. BPSs were in the $430-450 range. They are also a high quality gun.
Well, now that you mention it, I own one 1300, one 870, and four BPSs.

The bluing on the BPS beats them all. Bottom eject. Thumb safety.

If you throw the BPS option in there, I'm BPS all the way. For clay use OR field use!

·
Registered
69 Posts
What is your take on the Browning BPS?? I havn't heard alot about this gun. Is it easy to service in the field sue to it not having a side opening chamber? Is the chamber aluminum or steel? Opinions needed!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The aluminum alloy receiver on the 1300 does not effect it's durability as the lugs on the bolt cam into the lugs in the barrel. This is a very strong design that is also used by many firearms manufactures including those chambered in 3.5". I own a 1300 in Mossy Oak Shadow Grass that I use for waterfowl hunting that is fed a steady diet of 3" magnum shells and it shows no signs of wear. It is very light, easy to disassemble and has a very smooth action. The BPS is a nice shotgun but for my needs is to heavy and hard to disassemble. The Remington is a nice shotgun as well and is easy to disassemble. Anyone of these guns would perform well for you. You need to try them all on and see what fits you the best. I have owned all three of these guns and the Winchester is what currently resides in my gun safe.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Of all three guns mentioned, I like the BPS the best. Blued metal and finished walnut stocks. I bought my last one a year ago, new, for $333. I have also owned several 870s and a 1300. Both good guns. Taking them apart, I don't find much difference in difficulty. I have dropped one of my BPSs in the water before, I was able to completely dissasemble it in the duck blind, dry it out, and continue hunting with it. I always carry a Remington Waterfowl knife, the tools on it, plus a bore mop on a string, is all I used to work on the soggy BPS. If I were you, I would handle all three and pick which one fits you best and feels the best to you.
Chris

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
savageman wrote:
Does the BPS have a steel reciever or is it aluminum like the 1300??

Steel
BEAUTIFUL steel! At that. Deep rich bluing with a mirror polish.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Equi - I really like the BPS...I just put a 20 ga with a 26" barrel on lay away. Nice wood and the metal finish is high quality. It also has game scene scroll engraving on the receiver. I can't wait to pick it up.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello shotgun936: Some of you know I like my old Winchesters, (pre-64) but to be honest here, the 870 Wingmaster, (not the Express) is a better gun than a Md 1300 Winchester. Then again I just don't care for many post-64 Winchesters.

When steel shot became mandatory in my state back in the middle 80s, I bought a Remington 870 Mag. It was a very good gun, far superior to the Md 1300 at that time. Since then I've shot the Browning BPS, which is also a good pump. If I were to buy a new field pump gun, it would be between the 870 Wingmaster or the BPS! Just my opinion.

Regards to all

Dave

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello savageman: Well the Browning BPS has a better design, (tighter tolerances on machined parts), Browning has higher quality standards than Winchester, even though both are owned by the same parent company. steel receiver, finally for me it shoulders/swings nicer.

Winchesters claim to fame was lever action rifles, and pump shotguns. That all changed in 1964. Since then, the only shotgun made in the US that was worth anything, was the Super X 1, that was thier best semi-auto shotgun. (Md 101 & 23 were made in Japan) The Super X 2 is a nock off from the Browning Gold, made in europe like the Gold.

Regards Dave

·
Registered
576 Posts
just my opinion and i have had all three, bps, 870 and 1200(1300 now)pumps but my oldest pump is my 1200 that ive had for atleast 37 years now and its a nice gun now and was when it was new. i dont think you can go wrong with any of the three, :lol: it boils down to what you really like. the 1200 wears a cutts comp as i use to shoot skeet as well as hunt with it shes had a lot of ammo put through her as is still going strong but then again my 870's are too.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Everyone asks "Which is better? The 1300 or 870?"

Which 870 do they mean? The express or wing master? There isn't JUST an 870.

In my book...

Winchester 1300 vs. Remington 870express ='s the 1300

Winchester 1300 vs. Remington 870wing master ='s the 870wing master

:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts