Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which and why, so far from looking the winchester seems the best. {no plastic} Why would one of the others be better. By the way I hav efound the prices to be lmost the same so that's not really an issue.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey Jack ya wanna be a bit more specific as to why?Well since all three guns are good there is no real issue there. So lets look at parts and add ons. The Winchester does not have as many after market parts out there. They are there but they are not as easy to get a hold of. So that leaves you with the Mossberg and the Remington. The nice thing about the 500 is the safty on the tang. Real nice when you have big gloves on. The Mossberg has a huge tactical following and parts are easy to come by. The 870 Chokes will be easier to get as most places sell them. There are tons of 870 and 500 used out there and replacement parts should be no trouble to find with either. If you are not worried with every penny then it is up to you as which feels better between the three. 8o They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

·
Registered
32 Posts
First off, I went through all the ones they had looking for one that didn't rattle. Guess what one frigging shot produced before I even looked at the pattern? Click click rattle rattle, lay it down and go look at the paper. At 25 yards what they are advertising as a turkey gun has a pattern two or three times the size as my remington. Oh yeah and about 4 inches to the left. With out a hand on the slide each shot just about cycles the action for ya. Oh well live and learn. Guess there's a good reason it's already drilled and tapped for a scope. They know it doesn't shoot straight and yer gonna need it before they take your money for the POS. SERENITY NOW! OR ELSE!Edited by: JackRyann at: 3/30/03 11:43:50 pm

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Hey Jack,Was this the rattling you were talking about?"Many people think the Mossberg rib is loose. The Mossberg rib is attached to the barrel at the rear with a cross pin. Along the length of the rib it is attached to each post by fitting into grooves cut into the tops of the posts. The rib has a channel underneath, and rides on top of the posts, secured by its two flanges riding in the grooves of the posts.When a Mossberg barrel expands or contracts from the heat or cold, the rib is free to slide along the posts. Rather than being slightly bent from the rib expanding or contracting at different rate, the Mossberg barrel is free. It's a neat idea."Were those factory chokes?thanks,Jay Gentry Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jack, did you have the 835 or the 500? And what do you mean it about cocks itself when you fire, i think you got a defected one. And what Jay said is right, they are loose so they can be operated in any type of condition. It is a great idea. Mossbergs are great guns for a low price. :| Mossberg12:|

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would like to add.I have a Wallmart special mossberg 500. According to what I have read here it's a Crown grade.Anyway. I was messing around with slugs one day. My friend walked up a hill and set a 3 liter soda pop bottle about 500 ft away up the hill.I aimed at the bottle and got a puff of dirt about 1 ft below the bottle.My next shot was aimed slightly above the bottle and I hit it!This was with the stock bead sights. I feel that this is pretty accurate for a shot gun.....You musta got a lemon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Shotgun,I'm not sure to tellya the truth. One in the store rattled, right off the shelf so I doubt temp had any affect on it.Mine rattled after one shot and I never really looked for the cause yet nor checked to see if it still does after a while.So far I've been testing reloads out of these guns to see how they shoot and sort of just threw all the 12 ***** guns I've got out for a head to head test with each load while I was at it.So far the mossberg is the only one that has the point of impact change with the different load. There is plenty of cool down time between shots because I just load one shell for each gun, of each recipe. Then sit down at the sand bags and pattern each gun with that "shell".Since the Mossberg is the only gun I own that accepts the 3" shells it may very well be that the extra shot in those factory loads will out weigh the glaring inadequacy of this gun but so far it is a big disappointment and I wouldn't recomend it to anyone buying a first gun or buying it as their only gun. IMO it is only good to make you appreciate a Remington.This is one of the 500 models. I've heard several glowing "hearsay" reports of Mossberg turkey guns and those were partially the spark of interest that got me to plunk down the cash for something I didn't really "need". I have to say that with further review of those reports in comparison to my own expiriences the 835 models seem to be a whole different ball game and they do have a different barrell from the 500 but I'll never put my money at risk with Mossberg again to find out. SERENITY NOW! OR ELSE!Edited by: JackRyann at: 4/1/03 1:04:00 am

·
Registered
32 Posts
Must be a lot of lemons out there. Mossberg should go into the soft drink business and leave the gun business to the people who want to make good ones.I hit a Pepsi can one time at 150 yards with the first shot out of one of my Remingtons. Does that mean anything? I'll tell ya I didn't dare take another shot like that the rest of the day.:rollin SERENITY NOW! OR ELSE!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Chris, thats because the slugs drop a little the farther they go, 500 feet is a pretty good distance for a slug, thats why it dropped. That is pretty accurate! :| Mossberg12:| Edited by: Mossberg12 at: 4/9/03 3:46:32 pm

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own three mossbergs and have never had any problems with them. 1 i have had for 15 years and the other one for 8 years. I get great patterens out of both. One of them is set up for turkey with a extra full turkey choke patterns 10 inchs at 20 yards and about 20 inchs at 40 yards.HeavyChevyLM NAHCFounding member HHHwww.hhh-usa.org

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the predecessor of the 1300...the 120 Win Ranger.(interchangeable parts) Greatest beater ever!They finally wised up and have recently been marketing it as a "SPEED PUMP"....They ain't kiddin'...Ssssmooth as silk...alright....Rayon! But what do you expect for that price? ;-)I also have a Rem 870 express 20 ga which is the cheaper, matte version. I hated it but never go around to hocking it. The action was rough as hell out-of-the-box to the point where I sat around and cycled the action for two straight hours to break it in. Still hated it.I put it in the locker eight years ago and it wasn't till last year that I pulled it out. I thought, "Jeeze, that's light. Now I love it.I've used me friend's Mossberg 835 3 1/2" Ulti-mag. Kick like a mule...make that 2 mules w/ 3.5's...ouch...stay away from 2 1/4 oz buckshot loads!All Mossbergs RATTLE...but they work...pull trigger/scattergun goes BANG.Best feature on a Mossberg is a TANG SAFTEY particularly cause I'm a Leftie. With the others I carry it with a shell in and the action half-open, pinching my finger between the reciever and the front stock.Rem and Moss have lots of avail. accessories....don't know about the Win, but what do you really need...chokes and shells and maybe a sling, eh?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a winchester 1300 and have shot the other two. As far as reliabiliity Ive never had a problem with any of them, but the 1300 is a lighter and quicker pumping gun. I wouldn't shoot any other pump. The others would be easier to find aftermarket parts for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned all 3,and my favorite is the 1300.It is the fastest damn gun I have ever owned.In there factory litteratur,they claim that there r&d shooter can acuritely get off 3 shots in a half a second,well,I belive that.I have taken so many triples (killing 3 birds out of one flock with out reloading)duck hunting that it is pittiful,somthing I could never do with my express,and have only done 2 times with my 500.as a machinest,I reconize what most think is a durabul mat and texturd finish on a 870 express is accually poor machining prosses.If you have ever tore one down,you have noticed that every piece on the inside is sharp as a knife.If you are hunting birds or clays,get a 1300,if you are hunting deer,get the 500. slug barrels for 1300's are hard to come by used,and are not cheap,and only about half the 870 slug guns I have owned where accurite enough to hunt with.never seen a bad 500 slug gun and barrels are cheap($145 brand new with scope mount on top)and easy to find.If you do get a 870,get a wing master,they put a lot more time into assembley and they are allot more of a quality gun

G

·
I have the Winchester Mod 120 Ranger as well as a Rem 870 Wingmaster. Both have Rifled barrels for deer (Win and Hastings) Hands down the winchester is a better gun. It is far more accurate at 100 yards(5 inch circle spread given Rem Copper solids) smooth as silk pump action and reliable. My 870 (which was $120 more) shoots a 100 yrds the size of a paper plate but starts to get less accurate if the barrel is warm.
I am a HUGE Remington fan and own 2 rem 22's, a 270 (7600) and a 30/06. All are outstanding guns with excellent accuracy but in shotguns, I choose the Winchester ranger!

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's funny that this would come up. Two nights ago I shot my Winchester Ranger 120 along side my friends 870. The Winchester is much smoother. The wood on his Wing master looks better, but as far as the feel of the action the Winnie has big green beat.

Gunner45

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a Win 1300 and have not had any problems with it yet; 10 plus years. It cycles extremely well when I compare it to my Dad's Mossberg. Best gift I've ever received.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts