Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A WINCHESTER MODEL 1300 RANGER FIELD MODEL I AM TRYING TO CONVERT INTO A HOME DEFENSE/ TACTICAL SHOT GUN. I ATTEMTED TO REMOVE THE MAGAZINE TUBE MYSELF AND DAMAGED IT IN THE PROCESS (I WAS HAVING TROUBLE CYCLING SHELLS SINCE THE TUBE WAS RUSTED ON THE INSIDE). MY NEXT MOVE WAS TO TAKE THE RECIEVER & BARREL TO MY GUNSMITH TO HAVE THE MAG TUBE REPLACED WITH AN EXTENDED MAG TUBE AND THE BARREL SHORTENED & TAPPED FOR CHOKE TUBES. AFTER REASSEMBLING THE GUN I NOTICED THAT THE BARREL RING THAT WAS PREVIOUSLY HELD IN PLACE WITH MAG CAP WAS ABOUT 4" TO 6" AWAY FROM THE MAG CAP AND THE BARREL WILL NOT STAY SEATED. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD ENLIGHTEN ME ON HOW TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM. PLEASE HELP! THANKS.

·
1,203 Posts
seems to me that the model 1300 would take a different barrel with a longer magazine tube.....if you used a Winchester magazine tube, you'll probably also need a Winchester barrel with the mag lug in a different position.....

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
mike orlen said:
seems to me that the model 1300 would take a different barrel with a longer magazine tube.....if you used a Winchester magazine tube, you'll probably also need a Winchester barrel with the mag lug in a different position.....
I thought the lug on the 1300 is in the same place (like the Rem870) but the had some adapter for the extended mag models :?

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you got an extended mag tube - not a MAG TUBE EXTENSION - then the ring on the barrel needs to be replaced at the position corresponding to the new length of the magazine tube. That is, if the new mag tube is 4" longer than the old mag tube, then the barrel ring needs to be 4" further out on the barrel, which will allow it to be captured by the mag tube end cap, if I'm understanding you correctly. Which is basically what Mr. Orlen said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you got an extended mag tube - not a MAG TUBE EXTENSION - then the ring on the barrel needs to be replaced at the position corresponding to the new length of the magazine tube. That is, if the new mag tube is 4" longer than the old mag tube, then the barrel ring needs to be 4" further out on the barrel, which will allow it to be captured by the mag tube end cap, if I'm understanding you correctly. Which is basically what Mr. Orlen said.
CAN THE RING BE MOVED ON THE EXISTING BARREL? IF SO, HOW DIFFICULT IS THE PROCESS AND HOW STURDY/ RELIABLE WILL THE RING BE?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFO.

TRAE OAKES

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
your smith replaced the mag tube with one from a model 1300 defender (riot gun) which has a longer tube then a standard model. Either replace it with one from a standard or buy/replace with a defender barrel, otherwise I think your screwed. {F*

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in the process of disassembling my 1300 defender to get it ready for Parkerizing.
Since were on the subject; how do you (correctly) remove the mag tube from the receiver? I can't quite tell if it is threaded or a press in fitting of some sort.

·
Registered
4 Posts
traekaes&bob large,I had the same problem awhile back.Do a search on here,(I think it was in the Tactial site).I just tried and keep getting no search function!But its here!If you have a1200 Defender barrel,then you need a longer mag tube.You remove the tube buy putting a weight of some sort inside the tube and remove it with enertia force.The tube and plastic collars come out the front of the receiver.I think I got the longer tube and collars at Numrich parts.Hope this helps. binski

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
here are three options

1... move the ring
If you move the ring you will have to get the barrel refinished. Not cheap to resolder ring and refinish.

2... Buy the barrel for the long tube. probably cheaper than option 1

3... have your smith make a sleeve that will fit over the mag tube and take up the extra space. It would be about 4 inches long X 1.005 ID X 1.25 OD.
Very simple to make, any gunsmith or machinist could make it. cheapest of the three

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THANKS, BANSHEE. GREAT MINDS MUST THINK ALIKE, BECAUSE I SOLVED THE PROBLEM YESTERDAY BY GOING TO THE HARDWARE STORE AND BUYING A PIECE OF 1" X 12" GALVANIZED PIPE THAT FIT OVER THE MAG TUBE PERFECTLY. I CUT OFF THE THREADED ENDS (WITH A CHOP SAW) SO THAT I HAD A STRAIGHT PIPE THAT MEASURED 5.25". AFTER USING A FILE TO EVEN UP THE ENDS THE PIPE WAS A HAIR TOO SHORT TO SHIM THE BARREL RING TO THE MAG CAP. THIS PROBLEM WAS SOLVED BY SIMPLY USING AN O-RING BETWEEN THE BARREL RING AND PIPE. AND OF COURSE I SANDED AND PAINTED THE SHIM. LOOKS VERY PROFESSIONAL. TOTAL COST - $ 6.75

THANKS AGAIN,

TRAE OAKES

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.