Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today in a local gun shop I saw a Winchester SxS 20ga, I believe it was a model 23 ? It had 28" barrels, double triggers, was in good, not excellent condition, they were asking 595.00.
Anyone familar with this model, are they good guns, and is the price about right ? Any problems I need to check for ?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm no expert on Winchester 23's but that sounds very reasonable to me. Gunbroker has several listed with the starting price around $750 and none of the reserves met. Better do some research--you might have a buy on your hands there.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello retired: Well if it's truely a Md 23 for $595 go jump on it!!!

The Md 23 Sxs was made in Japan where Winchester made the Md 101 O/U. A 20ga. usually starts out in the $1500-$1700 range.

However I think you saw a winchester Md 24 which was Winchesters utility grade SxS made from 1939-1957. These had double triggers, plain walnut stocks, in 20ga. 26 or 28 in. barrels. Small gauge Md 24s (16/20) do bring more than the 12ga. however parts are hard to come buy!! If not in at least very good, excellant, to like new, it could have worn extractors, weak hammer springs, etc The price seems a little high for the condition you describe. More like around $475 +/-$50.

Regards Dave

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Check the gun out, and if it IS a Model 23, buy it quick!

But if it is a Model 24, they are 50 to 60 year old guns, and they have to be looked over VERY carefully.

I used a Model 24 in my youth (late '40s) and loved it, but today, its age, use and condition really have to be considered.

BobK

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
retired2006 said:
Today in a local gun shop I saw a Winchester SxS 20ga, I believe it was a model 23

...they were asking 595.00.
Do the gun buying public a favor - snap it up before some unsuspecting dufus gets screwed. :mrgreen:

The only problem I have with the Model 24 is suppressing the gag reflex. :(^

·
Registered
4 Posts
I won't say I'm 100% sure on this but I don't believe the model 23 came with double trigger's. I checked the blue book on this and they only list single's. I handled a 23 year's ago in 20g and it was a sweet gun. But do some homework on this as it seem's to good to be true.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will look at it again monday, from what you guys describe, it probably is a model 24. It is a rather plain jane gun, and it did have double triggers, I am sure of that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.