Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the above gun (serial 3462xx) that fails to fire the bottom barrel about 1/3 of the time in each round of trap. I can hear the hammer drop and there is a faint indentation of the primer and a very light drag mark from the firing pin made when the gun is opened. All shells (2 brands) have fired when the gun was opened and re-cocked.

My diagnosis is that there must be something intermittently slowing the hammer fall. I've cleaned the action , especially firing pins and return springs; the mainsprings are judged by my gunsmith to be good.
Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
19,698 Posts
bluedcanoed said:
I have the above gun (serial 3462xx) that fails to fire the bottom barrel about 1/3 of the time in each round of trap. I can hear the hammer drop and there is a faint indentation of the primer and a very light drag mark from the firing pin made when the gun is opened. All shells (2 brands) have fired when the gun was opened and re-cocked.

My diagnosis is that there must be something intermittently slowing the hammer fall. I've cleaned the action , especially firing pins and return springs; the mainsprings are judged by my gunsmith to be good.
Any suggestions?
It may be time to replace the firing pins and the hammer springs. You can't tell if a spring is good by looking at it.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
I sent my 101 to Doug Braker from this website and he did a good job on it at a very reasonable price. You might want to get a trigger job at the same time since that is another long term wear prospect on these guns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've replaced the firing pin and hammer spring and am still plagued with failure to fire the lower barrel.
Since I'm in Canada it's difficult to send to a USA gunsmith.
Does anyone have a photo of the ejector actuating rod; I suspect it may be mis-shapen and is interfering with the hammer fall.

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
19,698 Posts
bluedcanoed said:
I've replaced the firing pin and hammer spring and am still plagued with failure to fire the lower barrel.
Since I'm in Canada it's difficult to send to a USA gunsmith.
Does anyone have a photo of the ejector actuating rod; I suspect it may be mis-shapen and is interfering with the hammer fall.

Thanks for any help.
I suggest that you remove the buttstock and observe the actual hammer fall and see if it's hitting anything other than the firing pin. It may be necessary to put some coloring on the hammer and then observe if the coloring has been scraped after dropping the hammer a few times.

If that's not the problem, I would think that you need a bit more firing pin penetration from the breach face. Or, you might consider snipping a coil or two off the firing pin return spring. This will give a SLIGHT increase in hitting force.

Or, it might just be ammo that has deep seated primers. I would try several good quality target ammos before deciding for sure that it's the gun's fault.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I hope you cleaned the firing pin bore, while you had everything apart. Last firing pin I put in, the bore was very dirty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem resolved!!
Easing gun open to "catch" empty shells ( required at trap club to pick up empties) - the ejector fires before hammer is cocked, and, if then reloaded and closed, hammer goes down to "fired" position.
Leaves a slight mark on primer.

Thanks for all advice.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts