Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently shooting at my local club when I saw a couple of shooters drop Winchester AA 20GA HS hulls (once fired). I picked them all up of course.

My question is, can I reload these with the same data as the non HS hulls because for the 28HS and 410HS, you have to use different reloading data.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does nobody know the answer to my question?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Winchester give no description of the hull. Are you sure the hull was an HS? Were they clearly marked HS and stamped on the head with the letters HS?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See for yourself...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Yeah... it's the first time I've seen them too.

G

·
Having the same crunched case crimp problem with the new AA hulls in 20ga, and no new load data or wads for these hulls I called Hornady for a solution for my 366 loader. They have a new sizing die body with less internal taper for these hulls available for about $8.00; so mine is in the mail!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am loading the new HS hulls in both 20 and 12 ga. on 2 9000g Mec loaders with now problems. The only adjustment I had to make was with the cam, very minor. Although, MEC does offer some advice for adjustments on their website for the HS hulls if you are having issues.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The loading data for the new HS 12 and 20 ga. hulls are the same as for the old hulls. You can check out the winchester website for more information on setting up your reloader to better accomodate the new hulls. A few minor adjustments will make them load better, and will still allow you to load the old hulls as well.

Kyle

www.winchester.com

·
Registered
100 Posts
By the looks of the primer and the crimp mouth in the photo's, I would not say these were all once fired hulls.

-Chase

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
The shells do reload differently than old AA's. If your load is set up for regular AA's, stick to those. The spot just inside the hull, coming from the primer, is different. More \/ shaped than W shaped. This makes the powder sit differently in the shell, higher. Thus causing the shot column to sit higher in the hull, thus throwing off your crimp. I had alot of trouble with these when they first came out. Now when I see them I just let them lay.

Good luck.

Nick

·
Registered
142 Posts
For those of you experincing problems with buckling of the HS 20 ga hull this load recipe that has solved buckling for me on my 366.

Hull WW 20ga HS
Wad RXP 20
Primer WW209
powder 15gr. Universal

No changes wad presures. Wad ram clears the wad in the swing out wad guide. I did change the crimp die body to the one made for paper hulls, but it not necessary. I reloaded 100 of the nicest shells I've seen, In minutes. No BS fiddling around with adjustments. Lou

·
Registered
8 Posts
pmmx said:
I was recently shooting at my local club when I saw a couple of shooters drop Winchester AA 20GA HS hulls (once fired). I picked them all up of course.

My question is, can I reload these with the same data as the non HS hulls because for the 28HS and 410HS, you have to use different reloading data.
In Skeet review, there in no
difference in the 12 and 20 HS. I have loaded 20ga just fine. BUT there is a difference in the 410 and 28ga they say you need to use a different wad. The hull has a greater taper to the inside wall.....

Thank you Bob

·
Registered
90 Posts
The loading data is the same, but you may have to make some adjustments to your press to get good crimps. As stated above, once I made a small adjustment to the cam in the crimp station of my Mec, these shells closed perfectly. What kind of loader are you using?

R-Mstr

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
On a MEC 600 Jr. I reloaded and fired a 20-gauge HS hull 23 times.

On the last firing the crimp folds were still unsplit and the crimp itself was near-perfect.

I had no hull buckling (actually wrinkling) until reload No. 17. It worsened on successive reloads until Nos. 21-23 the crimp would not close completely because the hulls was giving way from the weakness at the wrinkling. Yet still, the crimp was near-perfect and there was not a single split in the folds.

The shell broke targets on every firing -- except, of course, for the first six, which were chronographed.

I was shocked, stunned and amazed as I progressed through that incredible number of reloads.

I still am.

Here's the recipe I used:

20-gauge Winchester HS hull
7/8 oz. reclaimed shot
15.5 gr. Hodgdon Universal (Bushing No. 20)
Win 209 primer
Orange Duster wad
Published pressure: 10,200 psi

Chronograph results:

Average velocity: 1,157 fps
High velocity: 1,196 fps
Low velocity: 1,112
Extreme spread: 84
Standard deviation: 34

Individual shot velocities for the six-shot string beginning with the first reload:

#1 -- 1,138 fps
#2 -- 1,178 fps
#3 -- 1,112 fps
#4 -- 1,196 fps
#5 -- 1,131 fps
#6 -- 1,188 fps

The shots were all fired from a GaugeMate reducer insert in a 12-gauge Ruger Red Label.

Now if the same or almost the same results can be obtained from a 28-gauge HS hull I'll become a total convert to HS hulls (and take back all the nasty predictions I've made for their future).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts