Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently dove back into reloading and have, out of habit, been saving my Winchester AA shells that I pick up when I shoot at spot shoots. It's been almost 10 years since I last reloaded and I want to make sure my info is straight. The shells they shoot there look different from the older AA shells I used to shoot and reload. They are a glossy smooth shell with "40 years AA 1 1/8 - 7 1/2 Heavy" written on the shell body. Can these still be reloaded like normal or are these the shoot once and let them lay shells? I'm going to reload for sporting clays and trap, so can I use these particular shells or do I need to go with once that don't have the "heavy" on them? It's been such a long time since I last reloaded, I remember very little and I'm probably getting some information crossed up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
MikeB,

All Winchester AA hulls of any date of manufacture, use the same load data.

The older Compression formed hulls are one piece hulls, having an integral base wad.

The newer High Strength hulls are two piece hulls, having a separate base wad. The base wad is however so constructed to nearly duplicate the volume of the older cases and the tall cupped base wad simulates the characteristics of a tapered wall case, although it is in fact straight walled.

The cases do in fact use the same load data and both use wads designed for tapered wall cases.

Experience has shown that the newer version of AA's do in fact have a tad less capacity, so some of the standard wads are a bit tall, and require a little more wad pressure to make everything fit.

To combat this, Down Range Mfg. makes a series of wads that take up slightly less room and fit the newer cases better than the older wads. These are the DRA 12 Pink wads for 1 oz. and the DRA 12 White for 1-1/8 oz. and the DRA 12 Yellow for 1-1/4 oz. loads.

THese wads will work fine in all AA and Remington cases, but really shine in the newer AA HS cases.

DLM

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Old Compression-formed shells and the newer AA-HS shells are manufactured differently.

In 12-ga. and 20-ga. they take the same loads.

In 28-ga. and .410-ga., however, they are DIFFERENT in capacity, and take different powder recipes and wads!

Please note that for the smaller gauges!!!

BobK

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Curly-Nohair said:
I am not trying to be short with you, but if you check this link that I am giving you. This question and many that you have not thought of yet, will be answered.
Have fun and welcome!
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=106581
Curly-

The FAQ page you cited, which is a sticky on this forum, does indeed have a topic titled "Difference Between Old AA & New AAHS Hulls". However, there is no live link for that topic, at least on my browser.

How about your browser?

--Bob

·
Administrator
23,326 Posts
pitted bore said:
Curly-Nohair said:
I am not trying to be short with you, but if you check this link that I am giving you. This question and many that you have not thought of yet, will be answered.
Have fun and welcome!
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=106581
Curly-

The FAQ page you cited, which is a sticky on this forum, does indeed have a topic titled "Difference Between Old AA & New AAHS Hulls". However, there is no live link for that topic, at least on my browser.

How about your browser?

--Bob
Dang, you are absolutely correct, sorry :oops: At least you got good info from the other guys.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate all the help, that tells me what I needed to know. I had searched topics on reloading, but couldn't quite find one that gave me all the information I needed. I hated to make another thread, but I figured if I don't ask I have nobody to blame but myself if I have questions.

Thanks again! Now I just need to see what they do with all those shells after the days shoot is over.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I too am a new reloader and was confused by all that I had read about old vs. new AA hulls. I found several references to the new hull being dangerous because of the three piece design and the possibility that the base wad would come out of the shell and obstruct the barrel. Today I took a new AA shell and cross-sectioned it. Now that I have seen it, I'm not gonna worry about the base wad obstructing the barrel. When the shell goes off it would have to push the wad back against the brass...I just don't see out it could come out of the hull. I do see why I was getting the ring bulge on the outside of the shell, the shot wad is being forced into the top of the base wad and slightly bulging the hull OD. Does anyone make a shorter wad or one that is tapered on the bottom to match the taper on the base wad? I'm using white CB 1118-12 standard wads with 700X per an IMR recipe. Now that I see what is going on I figure the CB wad was designed for the old hull that tapered but didn't have the slight shoulder that the new base wad does.

A picture:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410 ... at=0&pos=0

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
The wad for the old or new AA hull is the same. The only wad I'm aware of that made any change because of the new AA base wad is the Windjammer clone made by Claybuster. The AA style wad is the same thing. That said, get the new Downrange XL or Jammer series wad and your problem is history. They also make an AA clone wad, of which I've yet to see any of. Kevin was going to send me a bunch of various wad samples to play with, but so far he must be busy sending all the freebies out to you guys. I haven't seen any yet.

BP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts