Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which in your opion would be the best value I hunt do not shot skeet or clays Winchester Expert Browning Citori Charles Daly the old one made in Japan All three of these are made in Japan .Pleasr explain why you think one would be better than the other thanks macwoodz

·
Registered
30,237 Posts
If your Winchester Expert was made in Japan, I think it's a lower grade Winchester 101. Model Ninetysomething or other. No. Not for Citori money.

Charles Daly never made a gun. It's a brand name, and some good guns, and not so good, have borne the name Charles Daly for a hundred years. The Japanese made over and under Charles Daly's were, I believe, made by Mirkoku,,,before Browning took over Miroku's importation of basically the same gun. The gun was the Citori.

The Citori is probably the most successful over and under ever manufactured. They still make them, Browning still services them, and along with the Beretta Six hundred series they are the standard by which all middle priced over and unders are measured.

Buy a Citori. You won't wake up in a few years and slap your head and say,,,,Gee,,,I could have had a cheapie Winchester 101 or a Charles Daly instead of my nice, good, wonderful Citori. :wink:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Buy the Browning Citori.Take good care of it.And it will give you a life time of enjoyment.

·
Registered
14,544 Posts
SuperXOne said:
You won't wake up in a few years and slap your head and say,,,,Gee,,,I could have had a cheapie Winchester 101 or a Charles Daly instead of my nice, good, wonderful Citori. :wink:
Now that was good. Browning should pay you for that one.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Miroku built CDs will have B.C. Miroku stamped on them somewhere and as Super said, those from the late 60s/early 70s are the gun which was rebadged Citori. A deal was done which meant Miroku would neither supply the gun to CD (or anyone else) nor sell direct into the US market.

Nevertheless, that particular CD is a Citori in everthing but name, so if you see a good one at the right price you'll be getting a very good gun.

The Japanese 101s were made by Nikko and I've no personal experience. However 2 local gunsmiths I know both shoot them, and both rate them right up there with the "B" guns. One of them has a very rare trap version imported from the US called the Golden Eagle Shadow Custom. (Eagle Arms Firearms Co is now part of doubleguns.com). It seems that only 6 were ever made; 5 of which are accounted for and recorded by doubleguns. The action is inlaid with gold and silver and the wood with ebony and ivory. The gun cost real money new and is worth real money today. The point being that Eagle wouldn't have based such a gun on the Nikko if it wasn't a really good product.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
I have actually owned and used all three, if you will count a couple of 101's for the expert. I will agree that the Citori is the safe choice in that group, particuarly if you are only to have one gun. But if you want a light field gun and fixed chokes and get a good price the other two are well made, reliable shotguns. And they might be significantly lighter that a Citori if that is an issue. I have a 20 gauge Citori and a 20 gauge Sears-Winchester and when I an grouse hunting the much lighter Sears-Winchester goes.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
macwoodz said:
Were the superposed better than the citori thanks
That's a matter of opinion. The Superposed certainly has more cache than a Citori. Most people, I think, would prefer a Superposed because of the supposed superiority of their being Belgium built. I've never owned a Superposed so I have no real first-hand experience with them. However, I've shot tens of thousands of rounds through Citori's with very little trouble with them. I'd be hard pressed to think a Superposed is vastly the superior gun.

·
Registered
30,237 Posts
By the way, I consider a geniune Winchester 101, and not those cheapie Model 96 Experts, a slightly superior gun than a Citori. More handwork. Fancier in just about all particulars. They always cost more money, grade for grade, than a Citori,,,which was probably the death of them.

The Nikko version of the Winchester 101 quite often will be found with killer grade wood. A Nikko was a fine gun.

I don't think I've owned a Model 96 Expert, but I've seen and handled quite a few. They chinzed on the finish and the wood quality. Booo. Didn't sell so many of them, I've been told. :wink:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Depends on year of manufacture, condition of gun and price.

I've a soft spot for Win 101 and it's variants. drsfmd will tell you the soft spot is in my head. The M96 is a no frills 101. Most parts are still available for the 101.

CD/Miroku and early Browning/Citori type 1 guns parts availability is spotty. The Browning/Citori type 1 was a transitioning gun from the Miroku design to the Browning design.

Browning/Citori type 2 and 3/4 guns parts availability is good.

They're all pretty robust guns and it would be hard to gauge which one was the best when comparing reliability.

I'd stay away from guns that show lots of use and wear. I'd shy a way from guns that would require work to get them to fit. I'd stay away from guns that are not built for my intended use. Target guns don't make good hunting guns and the reverse holds true. Parts available should be considered. Guns do break.

I've a soft spot for Win 101 and it's variants. drsfmd will tell you the soft spot is in my head. The M96 is a no frills 101. Most parts are still available for the 101.

CD/Miroku and early Browning/Citori type 1 guns parts availability is spotty. The Browning/Citori type 1 was a transitioning gun from the Miroku design to the Browning design.

Browning/Citori type 1, 2 and 3 guns parts availability is good.

They're all pretty robust guns and it would be hard to gauge which one was the best when comparing reliability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts