Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Super X2 Sporting that came with 5 black-oxide flush chokes. On each choke is the engraving MG. Does anyone know what this means? Seems like a pretty good auto for $738 plus tax.

It is my understanding that Briley makes the Browning Invector Plus chokes but I don't think they make the Winchester.

·
Registered
426 Posts
:? I thought the midas chokes were extended with the gold band in the front?
I have bought a Select Energy with 5 Inv + chokes - I intend to pattern them all rather that splurge $$$$$ on after market chokes.
Con

·
Registered
98 Posts
4thDown, call Winchester & see if you can get the $100 rebate. Cant hurt to ask. I also recently bought the SX2 Sporting... what a beautiful gun for the price. Balance & swing has been impressive on the range. If the MG stands for Midas Grade they might pattern a bit tighter than normal. I might call Winchester & find out about it. ...I'll post up if I find out anything.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, I didnt get ahold of Winchester but I have access to a Zeiss CMM here at work & had my set of chokes scanned. They matched the measurements stated on the Browning choke chart for Invector Plus.
http://www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=100

The Midas Grade chokes are not listed in that chart, but previous posts on this forum indicated they are tighter than the numbers on that chart. So, it appears this choke set is not the same as the Midas Grade set. Still doesnt explain why MG is on each choke.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Dwing,

Maybe because the are common parts to Winchester and Browning Invecotor Plus bore dimemstions which are used on a variety of Browning and Winchester shotguns. My BPS, X2, and Browning O/U use the same choke--all mine are marked Briley.

However, on my 1100 Remington, the chokes there are MG and built by Briley. If the barrel/choke gap is correct and the threads match--go pattern and be happy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.