Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am thinking about buying the above shotgun in 12 gauge,26" barrel it has an improved fixed choke on the bottom and full on the top.It was made in japan in 1964.?I think?. He wants $550.00 which seems like allot for a used shotgun. I really want an o/u though. I will probably use it for pheasants,chucker etc. I am new to hunting. It would be great to hear some honest views on this gun. Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
541 Posts
I feel that the Browning superposed and the Winchester 101 set the standard for the O/U. The cheapest I have ever seen a 101 is around $800, and they are well used. If you can get it for $550 buy it and if you don't like it you can sell it for more. Heck I would give you $575. ;) I am sure you will love the gun. They are awsome guns. The gun would be great for pheasant and upland birds where you don't have to shoot steel shot. Due to the age you will not be able to shoot steel and my guess is it is a 2-3/4" chambers which like I said for upland it is great. 8o They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

·
Registered
180 Posts
why worry about steel shot. Kent and Bismuth shot shells work great if you can't use lead. I shot Kent in a oldie but goldie ( Rem 11) and no problems with the barrel. A mite dirty on clean up but still, got the birds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 101 is a great gun and as John 305 said the price is too low! Fork over the dough, pronto....befor I do.Regarding the Improved Cyl/Full combination, it is fairly rare stateside. Apparently a lot of british guns are choked F/IC (triggers in that order for incoming birds on driven hunts). I have an old Fox Sterlingworth from 1915 that's choked IC/F. You'll love it!!!. Very universal shotgun. I hunt grouse in VT and I've killed as many birds on second shots with the Full tube as I have with the IC. Put a load of #4's in there and Full really punches thru the branches to get those buggers.I use the Sterlingworth on the Skeet range. On the four doubles stations shoot the full barrel at the going away bird first. I'm thinking about buying or loading some spread-r loads and just useing 4 per round.Great combo for ducks too. Bought a 7# container of bismuth took the old gun to the swamp, killed two ducks in three shots and never brought it out waterfowling again...got real upset seeing it covered in mud.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think the choke combination may be very useful. There is enough difference to allow for very different kinds of shots. You can always have the full choke opened up some later.

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
The 101 in 12 gauge is worth at least 750 (retail) and probably more in some markets. The IC/Full is a good combo for a field gun. Jump on it. If he trys to sell it to a dealer, then 550 is probably more than he is going to get. You are getting it for around the wholesale price

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
Not only is a 101 a really great shotgun, I personally give them the nod over a Browning Citori in quality. Not by much, but the 101 is just a slice above. :wink:

A 1964 101 is an early gun, and it should have lots of real hand engraving. They were really pretty.

The full over improved cylinder combination was a minor gun fashion of the early sixties. I have a huge collection of old gun magazines, and right about that time gun writers were pitching the idea. It probably does give you the maximum possible flexability for a fixed choke double, but the single trigger negates the advantage quite a bit. Keep the selector set on improved cylinder, and if the bird rises close, you can bang away at him, and if you miss, you get to shoot the full choke barrel at him, as he flies further away. If the bird rises far away, you get to try to select the full choke barrel in time to shoot him. :lol: (Or you can just shoot the IC first and have the full for a back up)

It's well worth the $550. The gun is priced below what most owners would sell for, period. It should bring that much or more at a gun auction.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I sold my Browning Cynergy 12 ga and bought a Pigeon Grade 101 12 ga. I absolutely love this gun. When I compared the Cynergy next to the 101 it was like comparing an economical Ford to a Mercedes. My shooting also improved about 25% from the start.
A fellow shooter shot my 101 at the skeet field and he now owns two. I have since bought a 101 3 barrel set( 20, 28 and 410) and could not be happier. These 101's were built with very much detail. Every piece of my 3 barrel set, from wood to metal has the same serial # stamped on it and every piece fits to perfection.
For $550.00 you are stealing that gun. Even if you have to replace some parts, you can get a full rebuild kit from MGW for 129.00. I also like the choke combination.
If you get the gun you wont be sorry. If you don't, let me know and I'll take it.

Good Luck with your purchase,

Kirk

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Kirk D said:
If you get the gun you wont be sorry. If you don't, let me know and I'll take it.
Mr.Jeem said:
Hurry up and buy it!
Five good, timely responses in the last week to a question posed by a one-post-wonder 4½ years ago.

I wonder if luny2nz ever bought the gun back in March of 2003. :?

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
Gee Mark, details...

Its always fun giving advise though.

Sometimes we "troll" ourselves. What I wonder about is the guy that brought it back up in 2007? Must have been playing with the search function and bored out of his mind?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts