Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the Model 12 is calling me... (how's that for an excuse-to-buy-a-new-shotgun?)

I first became aware of the Model 12 on this forum, and got curious about it after reading how near-and-dear it is to a lot of people. I checked around online a little more and got some history about the gun, as well as some good pictures of that distinctive receiver.

So I was shooting skeet last Saturday with the old-timers, and lo-and-behold, the fellow who tends to stick with pumps is shooting... a Model 12.

I shouldered it a few times during the round, and afterwards he insisted I actually fire it, so I broke a high house three and was instantly hooked.

The gun is a great fit on me, and I love the sight picture over that receiver. Something very natural about it.

So anyway, I think I'm officially shopping around for one now. I know a little bit about the gun, but I want to ask some specifics.

It's going to be a skeet gun, so I need an open choke like the one he had. It also needs to shoot steel. I won't be buying it for collector's value, but I still like nice wood if possible.

I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment by all the different versions of the Model 12 that came out. I know you can find it in everything from a clays gun to a police version.

Is there a specific time range or model line that I should look toward to find my skeet gun? If I remember correctly, I think the one I shot during the weekend was truly built as a skeet gun post-'63.

Next Saturday, I'll definitely get more detail from the fellow whose gun I shot... but I figure I'd get a headstart with this post since I know there are a few Model 12 nuts out there... :D

thanks

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
Sander;

You are going to have a problem finding a Model 12 that is designed for shooting steel shot. The newer ones with barrels from Japan are ok for steel, the old ones with either Nickle Steel or Winchester Proof steel are not! You can find the Browning reproductions in 20 and 28 ga but they didn't make them in 12 ga. I've heard the Winchester branded Model 12 with theY prefex in the serial No. do have steel capable barrels. On that I'm not sure. If you do find one that has a tighter choke it could be reamed and polished open. I have seen some IC. barrels for model 12 from time to time, and that would do nicely for skeet. If you are in doubt, call the Briley folks and I bet they will be able to tell you for sure about the barrels and whether thay can put tubes in it usable for
Steel shot. Generally, though the Model 12's were before anybody even dreamed of steel shot! Excelent way to ruin one by the way! Shoot steel shot it it!

BP

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Many people like the fit of the Model 12...it seems so natural to me, as it does to you. Another difference that you might appreciate is the plain barrel vs. the ventilated rib...I like the older plain barrel much better and shoot these guns MUCH better in a Model 12.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts