Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a thread in a different section of the board and one of the users recommended I try here.

My dad has a Winchester Model 12 in a serial number range that shows production in 1951. It appears to be a trench gun but I also believe it was reworked (stock and bluing) many years ago. He has had it for quite a few years and is looking to get rid of it. I can't find much information on it overall and know that it would be hard to price out if it had in fact been reworked. Any thoughts on what it might be worth and if you have any more information or sites I can look at to gain more knowledge I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am surprised. 137 views and no help for this gentleman.
I know nothing about the riot/trench gun model 12s, but the wood looks to have been refinished with some type of high gloss polyurethane. Maybe for water repellency. Would a riot gun have come with a recoil pad or just a butt plate?
Can some of you folks with the books from Schwing and Maddis help out?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Not a Model 12 trench or riot gun guy. One thing is for sure. Gun metal has been reblued and wood refinished. I believe all factory Model 12 trench or riot guns were solid butts (no recoil pad), so the stock has likely been cut as well. I believe trench guns were blued in a dull finish, almost a matt finish and the stock/forearm were also done in the traditional WW wood finish. The high gloss blue and glossy wood is a serious no no for a trench gun, riot gun or any other Model 12. This gun has very little collector value. Not sure when they quit making trench guns either. I believe the MAG tube style is not original for a trench gun either, appears someone likely put this gun together at some point. Value? As much as someone is willing to pay. IMHO it may bring $400-600 on Gunbroker to someone who has to have a Model 12 in this style. Good luck with your sale and hope this helps some.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - I know these types of modifications are tough to price. I hate that it was ever "re-done" but it is what it is. Either way, with the refinishing that was done it would be a shooter for someone rather than a collector item.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.