Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking of selling my old model 12. Specs below. I think its a trap model but not sure? Serial number is 16xxxxx looked it up in the blue book and it looks like a 1956 date of manufacture. It looks like a Trap gun but does not say trap on it anywhere.

Barrel length is 30 inches

Choke is Full

LOP is a hair over 14 inches, maybe 14 1/4 inches measured at the end of the recoil pad, which I dont think is original. The pad is marked Dupont with some other writing.

Vent rib goes all the way to the end of the receiver, kind of different, is this original? Looking at some for sale on Gun broker I did see a couple other with this rib but very few. The rib has no writing on it, no Simmons name o anything else on it.

Is this rib a milled rib?

The rib has two beads, the front looks like a normal Winchester brass shotgun bead and then a white mid bead.

The wood is really super nice though is has one small chip where the butt stock meets the receiver and the piece is still there, needs to be glued down I guess.

There are two little areas of pitting, one on the barrel and one on the mag tube, has to be from blood because the blue on the rest of the gun is perfect with no wear really anywhere.Has not been refinished in any way.

Check out the pics, let me know what you think. I am thinking of selling it, just never use it anymore. Can you help me with a realistic asking price?
Thanks!
Matt

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I doubt there is a Model 42 in existance that would be worth less than that totally modified Model 12. After-market rib, metal reblued and after-market wood. Nothing original the way it left New Haven.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Researcher01 said:
I doubt there is a Model 42 in existance that would be worth less than that totally modified Model 12. After-market rib, metal reblued and after-market wood. Nothing original the way it left New Haven.
Wow thanks for that wonderful insightful post, sure glad I came to this forum to meet some new friends.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
D. Hause said:
Please see viewtopic.php?f=60&t=236116
It was reblued when the Moneymaker rib was installed
Great info, thanks. That explains why the blue looks so good, I bet back then they new what they were doing compared to a crappy overbuffed refinish. Plus the gun was probably new condition when the rib was installed so no pits or other wear to deal with.
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Purist collectors opinions aside, I would think that Model 12 should easily bring at least $700 in a LGS, or in the pro shop at an active Trapshooting club/meet.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I agree with Researcher01, its a built-up trap gun using a standard field model as a base.
The stock, forearm and vent rib all appear to be aftermarket. The Winchester factory never used that type of rib. The rib could be a Herter's or Moneymaker. IIRC, the Moneymaker rib was a tad higher than the Herter's, especially at the muzzle as the Herter's noticeably inclined from the receiver down to the muzzle. Regardless of make, since the rib is decidedly aftermarket, the gun was obviously reblued after the rib was installed, albeit very nicely done and the gun appears to have been little used since.

The stock and forearm appear to be Herter's. The finger grooves in the forearm are reminiscent of the 1960's Herter's pattern for the Model 12 and the checkering pattern appears to be either Herter's # 2 rifle pattern ( # 2 shotgun pattern differs) or Ahlman's (Morristown, MN.) # 2 pattern which closely mimicked the Herter's patterns. Also, the grip cap does not appear to be a Winchester factory type (go to www.connecticutshotgun.com and click on Galazan products then click on grip caps and escutcheons. The first item shows a reproduction of an original Winchester grip cap as fitted to the Model 12, which you can compare to the one on your gun).

Regarding value, I suggest that you monitor the on-line auctions for actual current prices PAID (not asked) for Model 12 built-up trap guns in similar condition. If its priced right, you should have no problem finding a buyer for yours.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
In my area it would also be an under $500.00 gun unless maybe sold to someone who doesn't know model 12's. And I guess, unfortunately, that is the key . Even if it were an original model, in my area it would be very tough getting $700.00 for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At the last gunshow hee I saw 7-8 12's and none were under $500. The guns marked $500 were worn out, no finish stuff. One solid rib gun at $800 looked like it had been found in a barn. Lots of shot guns around here but they got used around here in the rural setting. Tough to find old clean guns. I did notice on the net prices seemed to be all over the place hence my post here. Thanks for all the feedback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.