Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was looking at a model 12 Trap the other day in a shop. The salesman swore up and down that it was built in 1972 by Winchester. They were asking $950 for it.

I thought at the time that he was smoking some funny stuff :lol: . So I've gone through some of the few old catologues I have and can't find a reference to any being made in that time frame.

But I wonder, was the salesperson ignorant, or did Winchester Custom shop build a few or refurbish some during that time?

Thanks,
dalee

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Dalee100 said:
But I wonder, was the salesperson ignorant, or did Winchester Custom shop build a few or refurbish some during that time?

Thanks,
dalee
None of the above.

The Model 12 was made in standard production from 1912-1964. From 1964-1972, it was still available through the custom shop.

Winchester resumed standard production of the Model 12 from 1972 through 1980. These guns are the "Y-series", as their serial numbers start with the letter "Y". S/Ns should range between Y1,990,000 to Y2,026,721. I believe Custom Shop M12s may have continued until the mid 80's.

I own a 1980 Y-series Model 12 trap grade, that was purchased NIB in 1997.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks WinM12! It indeed has a Y serial number. I'm not interested in making a purchase, don't have much use for a Trap gun. But I was curious about it.

dalee

1 - 3 of 3 Posts