Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've aquired a Model 12 trench gun that did not have a butt plate on it whe I got it. None of the Winchester plastic butt plates seems to fit it. I've both tried to fit one off my other model 12's and have ordered three more. No luck. I read where Winchester also made a steel one for the trench and riot models if so ordered. I can't find one nor have I ever seen one. The inspectors mark is W.B. and has the crossed cannons under it. It is 4 3/4 inches long, 1 1/2 or 1 9/16 inches at widest part and the screw holes are 3 1/2 inches center to center. If anyone has any info that might help, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
that gun has been around a very long time….maybe the butt was cut or squared at sometime in it’s life. I have not really examined enough of them up close to tell you if a steel plate was offered. All of the ones in my reference books have what appears to be the first style plastic butt plate. I wouldn’t rule out the special order steel plate…it makes more sense on a trench gun, blast, jab n stab, smash a skull.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I looked through the Riffle book, Stadt’s book and a book by Adler that has terrific photos. All had plastic as far as I could see or tell. And from what I re skimmed in sections of Riffle’s book…no mention of metal butt plates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts